“Would return but no jacuzzi and Santa Monica Hotels are pricey” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oceana Beach Club Hotel

Oceana Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
La Jolla, California
“Would return but no jacuzzi and Santa Monica Hotels are pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had a lovely stay at this hotel. We were in town visiting friends, and I chose this hotel based on trip advisor reviews.

Pros:
1. Spacious, well decorated rooms
2. Comfy beds with the best hotel sheets EVER
3. Friendly check-in with a glass of Proseco
4. Charming on-site restaurant
5. Center courtyard pool area is fun
6. Walking distance to shops, dining and beach. We went to third street promenade for shopping and happy hour. We walked up Wilshire about 9 blocks to Huckleberry for breakfast, yum!
7. Free parking on certain neighborhood streets
8. Fantastic location for the LA marathon, which was today. We were two blocks from the finish line and enjoyed cheering for the runners.

Cons:
1. No jacuzzi. We had gone for a hike and it was a cool, marine layer, kind of afternoon. A drink and a jacuzzi would have really hit the spot.
2. Price. Santa Monica is a pricey hotel market, and the LA Marathon may have had a role in that, but $391 out the door, room +resort fee+tax (we parked on the street) is a little steep and I wouldn't run back unless I had a need to stay in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank solomentehawaii
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear solomentehawaii,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I am glad to learn that our amenities, rooms and staff made you feel comfortable and welcome and you could overall enjoy a memorable weekend with us during the LA Marathon.

We certainly would love to have a Jacuzzi here at our hotel, however due to some building constraints we were not able to add one. However we have just added a lovely and cozy fireplace in our new Restaurant Tower 8 that seems like a perfect spot to enjoy a drink during a cool and foggy afternoon.
I definitely would love to welcome you back here at the Oceana when your travel plans bring you back to the Santa Monica Area.

Christoph Moje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed here twice - once during the renovation and once after - both were excellent. (A word of background - I usually prefer to stay at larger hotels.) This is a small hotel with a super-attentive staff that knows how to avoid being overbearing.

Location can't be beat. Right on a quiet part of Ocean Ave, with a great view of the ocean and a little park across the street for yoga, etc. If you are lucky, you can sometimes find street parking to avoid valet charges. Downtown Santa Monica and the Pier are a 2 minute drive away. The beach is way down the cliff, so don't arrive expecting to be on the beach. You are way above it.

The rooms are tastefully decorated, welcoming and comfortable. The bathrooms, beds and linen are high end and luxurious (Frette!). Wi-fi is included with the $25 resort charge (I don't like this charge as a business traveler who did not hang out at the pool, especially when combined with the outrageous Santa Monica tourism tax).

Food - delicious. The breakfast is a great value for $25. Fantastic buffet (including fresh juices, Greek yogurt, homemade granola, eggs, etc) and the ability to order omelettes, pancakes and waffles. At night, great cocktails and a nice dinner menu. Service is laid back, but excellent. And the view of the ocean can't be beat.

Rates - this is the Oceana's real advantage. They offer high quality service and accommodations for about half the price of the Fairmont and Shutters.

Kudos to the folks at the Oceana. I'm a convert, even when there is a Fairmont right down the street!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the North side that have no light.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NYFFlyer
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear NYFFlyer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel. I am thrilled already with your headline and enjoyed reading your review very much. I am excited that you enjoyed everything about the hotel from the location to the amenities to the Food and Beverage Offerings. But I am most excited that you enjoyed the interactions with our staff and be rest assured that I will share your wonderful comments with them.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home in Santa Monica.

Millbury, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I love this hotel. It is in a great location, within walking distance to everything, beach, pier, 3rd Street great restaurants etc.The rooms are very spacious,and decorated beautifully, ( I guess they use to be apartments at one time.) However, what keeps us coming back is the staff and the service that you just can not get at a high rise type hotel. Everything here seems so custom. The wait staff remember your drink, they call you by name, in fact they go out of their way to make you as comfortable and happy as you can be while staying at their "home". You truly do feel like a guest here. One night it was chilly out by the pool. "Would you like the heat lamps, would you like a blanket?" The food is excellent and the cozy little restaurant is both upscale and comfortable.
There are a couple of downsides, and one being, that because the pool area is so small, when there are children/families playing, it is too loud. It is a crap shoot if you plan to lay out in the sun and relax because if families come, say goodbye to your relaxation.
Another problem is that the walls are thin. You can hear every footstep above you, every footstep walking by your room, and even the sound of your neighbors running water when they shower or use the bathroom.(Do not stay in room 113 because of these issues. It was intolerable and we were moved without a hassle to room 208 which was much better.) I mention these two issues because for some this would really be a thumbs down. To us, the pluses out weigh the minuses for certain!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kaosw66
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Kaosw66,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience with us. I am thrilled to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us at our home. We as a team strive to deliver the ultimate in customer service to all out guest in this intimate setting and it is just wonderful when our guests experience just that. Rest assured I will share those heartfelt comments with the team.
When you do return to the Santa Monica area, please do feel free to contact me directly so I can select a room that will incorporate all your needs for a relaxing stay here at the Oceana.

Again thank you for your candid feedback and I am looking forward to welcoming you back to our home personally.

Shoreview, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My family stayed two times at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel. Once in March of 2012 and we gave it a second try in Oct. 2012. The location is good--across the road from beach access--you have to go down alot of steps and across a very busy road to get to the beach. For the price of the hotel (including the over the top food prices in the restaurant), you should definitely consider a hotel right on the beach. On our first stay (last spring) we arrived to find the pool under construction with dust flying, jack hammers, and of course, no water. Since the hotel is quaint and all the rooms surround the pool, you can only imagine the noise and dust. We were disgusted because when we booked our reservations and when we confirmed our reservations, customer service did not tell us about the pool. When we inquired about not being told, we were given a $20 food credit (which by the way, doesn't cover a thing at this place) and we were told that if we made reservations with them in the future, we could get our parking validated. The only reason we chose to give them another chance in Oct. was because it was for a short overnight stay and because we wanted to see what it was like with the pool in service (and to be totally honest, nothing else was available). Once again, we were sooooo disappointed. Yes, the pool was working. But, our furniture in our room looked old and beat up. It sortof reminded me of when I stayed at an actual beach rental house during a college spring break trip. Does that give a visual or what? The furnishings were faded and sandy. The bedroom was small but the bed itself was very comfortable. The pull out couch not good. The bathroom was large--that was nice. Lastly, the staff at the front desk on both of our trips were rude. They were not helpful with suggestions of the area either. And, as you can probably guess, this trip we had a car and they refused to comp the parking. They also refused to admit that the pool was underconstruction previously and that no one would have said our parking would be covered. I should post the photo I have of us sitting by the pool area trying to eat our breakfast last spring. The photo shows dust and absolutely no water in the pool. I even think there's equipment behind my chair. The only reason we took the photo is because we didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the insanity of it all. Being from MN., the one thing you want when you head somewhere warm is water and sun. Sorry Ocean Beach Club Hotel. We come to Santa Monica often for business and to visit our son. We have since found hotels with kinder staff, better locations for our buck, and overall better hotels.
Why am I writing this now instead of back in Oct. you may ask?! Because we're headed back to Santa Monica and we were laughing about this horrible hotel. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. It's pretty sad to me because I had heard from business associates that this use to be the quaint place to be in Santa Monica. No more--definitely look else where. It really does bite how rude and demeaning the gal at the front desk was--she said she was the manager in charge and that I had no one else I could speak with. Please people--stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rob_44_11
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear rob_44_11,

Thank you for taking the time to review the 2 occasions you have visited us in 2012. I am very disappointed that in both cases we fell very short of your expectations when visiting the Oceana Beach Club Hotel. These are certainly not the standards that we commit to our guests and there is simply no excuse for it. Although I am personally not familiar with the particulars of your stays, I am pleased to inform you that we have made quite a few changes in our management team since. I myself joined the team in January 2013 and having the highest level of customer service in our hotel is indeed my top priority.

I would welcome the opportunity to connect with you in person to hopefully restore your faith in our beautiful hotel. You can reach me through the main number of the hotel and ask to be connected to me.

Once again I am extremely grateful for your candid feedback as it helps us to evaluate and raise our service levels in the hotel.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The staff at the Oceana Beach Club were incredibly friendly and helpful. It was a little further of a walk to the santa monica pier and 3rd stree promenade than I would have liked....but still very convenient. the rooms were very spacious and comfortable. If you have a first floor ocean view....you will have no privacy. people walking along the street can see in your room and you can hear all the cars driving by. I would highly recommend a top floor ocean view (which is what I requested, but unfortunately they were unable to accomodate). By walking across street you can access stairs that take you directly to the beach where there are bike rentals. $30/bike for the day. We rode bikes first to the pier (1 mile) then further south to Venice Beach about 3 miles. Great day.
$35/day to park at hotel plus tax.

Room Tip: top floor ocean view....only way to go.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear StorkandBones,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I am thrilled to learn that our team members at the Oceana made you feel at home and took great care of you during your stay. We are indeed very proud of each and every one of them and I will make sure to share your comments with the team.

When you travel plans bring you back to the Santa Monica Area please feel free to contact me directly so I can assist you in securing a room on our top floor.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to your return visit in the near future.

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I were in town visiting for the weekend and Oceana was recommended by a friend who had lived in LA. The hotel is beautiful, chic, clean, and perfectly located in Santa Monica. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. We did end up sleepless one night because of heavy foot traffic in the stairwell above our room, but otherwise our stay was delightful. We would definitely consider coming back, hopefully sometime when the weather is warmer and we could use the pool.

Room Tip: Stay away from the corner rooms near the stairs.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear McLean C,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I am excited that overall you and your wife had a memorable experience at our home here in Santa Monica and you have enjoyed our newly renovated public spaces. I certainly do apologize for the less than perfect sleep from some not so considerate neighbors you experienced during one of the nights. I am pleased to say that the weather has already been warming up over the last couple of days and do hope to see you soon again for another weekend getaway.

When you are ready to return to the Santa Monica area please do not hesitate to contact me personally to secure a room in a quite location of our hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Luxembourg District, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

From one room to another, your impressions can be very different even the location is great, the staff very professional, the breakfast excellent and the beds very confortable.
But from our window, we had a view on... A wall, that I was nearly able to touch! If necessary, could talk to these very close neighbours... Swimming pool is very very small but the beach is just 10 minutes walking distance.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms with view on the neighbour building!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PhilippeDouvier
CMoje, General Manager at Oceana Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear PhilippeDouvier,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Oceana Beach Club Hotel.

I am pleased to hear from you that overall we exceeded your expectations when it comes the sleep experience as well as the service you received from our staff members. As we are located in a residential area of Santa Monica, we certainly are surrounded by our neighbors. However, when making your future reservation with us I would recommend either a partial ocean view room of an ocean view suite which should eliminate those concerns. When you are making your travel plans for your return visit please do not hesitate to contact me personally so I can select a room that is more suitable to your needs.

Thank you again for your kind feedback and I am looking forward to welcoming you back at our home in the very near future.