“Outstanding friendly service”

Oceana Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Just spent 3 nights at the oceana - great location, informal and welcoming feel, smart/beach decor works well. Room was very spacious - large shower. The standout was the service - great help from Jill at front desk to ring around for taxis. Saved me 100 dollars from first estimate - all while I was out at dinner. A great impression

One disappointment was the price - very expensive

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank whereverilaymyblackberry
There are newer reviews for Oceana Beach Club Hotel

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Just checked in for the 4th of July. What a shock. First of all it looks like an apartment building, like the old Melrose Place. Second, there is absolutely no view of any kind. If you go to their website they show a misleading picture of a beach view. Third, I was stunned to find out they don't have a jaccuzzi. Are you kidding me? I paid over $400.00, a night and no jaccuzzi. That is unheard of. When I brought this up to the front desk, they said they would check surrounding hotels to see if they would accommodate us in using their jaccuzzi. A few minutes later the front desk informed me they could not find a hotel to accommodate us. The hotel did not even offer a discount on their price for not having a jaccuzzi. You can rest assured I will never return to the Oceana. For the price you can find better

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Noho187
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed here with our daughter while looking at colleges in California. The staff, facilities and service were all fabulous. Excellent location about 6 blocks from Promenede shops. We originally booked one night and extended to two based on our first impression. The corner room that was available due to our last-minute booking lacked a view but it was large and had a surprisingly large bathroom as well as being a good value. A week later on our return to the area we booked an additional night and were again impressed. The staff was friendly and helpful with directions and boarding passes and even shared insight on colleges as many were recent graduates of the schools we were seeing. We had to wait for one of the machines in the workout facilities but that is expected in a small hotel. The breakfast staff was happy to bring us lattes at the courtyard pool. Overall one of our best hotel experiences. After staying at Oceana we are sold on boutique hotels.

Room Tip: The higher price the room has, the better the view. We enjoyed the convenience of a first floor roo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Having stayed at several Hotels located on Ocean, in Santa Monica.  I have to say that the Oceana Hotel is my favorite.  The service was excellent, with staff that go above and beyond to make guests comfortable.  The location is beautiful, and the view of the ocean spectacular.

The rooms are spacious and thoughtfully furnished, and having a full kitchenette is extremely convenient.  The toiletries are CO Bigelow, which is a little thing that makes a huge difference.

The food at the downstairs restaurant was delightful and satisfying, and the service was excellent.  Views of the ocean and beach were gorgeous as you would expect in Santa Monica.  Free wi-fi is available, for hotel guests.

We had a great experience and will definitely be back next time we are passing through.  The service alone is worth the stay; the gorgeous setting doesn't hurt either.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Marie W
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Great room with a wonderful view, clean, wonderful staff, good food, and a beautiful location. We were very pleased.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the third floor which was large and quiet and had great light.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I went to Santa Monica on a 4-day business trip. I chose the hotel through their website but I was slightly disappointed. This hotel is probably an old refurbished condominium. Admittedly a refurbishment well done.The hotel is not very close to the pier nor the 3rd Promenade shopping area. Other hotels are better located. The staff in the restaurant are very friendly and helpful. The staff in the reception are professional but seem to be in a hurry and do not have much time for conversation. However this could be my fault. My room was in the ground floor, it was nice, comfortable but even though in a quiet zone I could still hear the noise coming from the restaurant in the swimming pool area. Of course before we make any final conclusions we need to compare what else is available in the area. I visited the Hilton briefly to meet a friend and that was not impressive either. You therefore need to consider your options carefully.

Room Tip: Difficult to give any helpful advice as I only have experience in one room which was a corner suite...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Solomon64
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel recently (June 2012), and we picked this hotel after extensive research. We were flying in from the UK and wanted to stay in a nice boutique hotel and not a large chain hotel, where we could enjoy a few days break (while leaving the kids with Nana) where we could acclimatise, which was close enough to explore Santa Monica and LA without initial car hire, before heading to a close friend's wedding in Temecula. We paid extra for a Seaview room to spoil ourselves, and asked to be on the top floor (which we were). I booked via Splendia.com where the club benefits are apparently a complimentary gift of fruit and water, and complimentary upgrade (subject to availability). We didn't receive an upgrade which was fine, but neither did we receive the complimentary water or fruit - note: a small bottle of water cost $7!

We were disappointed that the hotel was a bit further from the pier than we expected and that the beach wasn't just across the road, but much further than that - in fact, across the road, down a steep hill and across another road! We arrived early evening and ate in the restaurant, which was a pleasant experience. The pool looked good, and the other hotel guests seemed to be enjoying themselves around the pool. We went shopping along the 3rd Promenade, which is a brisk 10-minute walk away, to help us break the jet lag. We went to bed exhausted at around 9.30pm, hoping for a restful nights sleep as the bed was extremely comfortable.

You can imagine our surprise to be woken up at 1am in the morning by a noisy group of people. Initially I thought a group (it sounded like around 15-20 people), were socialising on the pavement outside the hotel. I thought we must be next to a bar, and it took me a minute to realise that isn't actually a bar near the hotel. We then realised it was actually coming from the room next door!

We called the front desk and was informed that a wedding party had come back to the hotel and were finishing off their celebrations in their room! Yes, he had happily let them in! We explained that we were trying to get to sleep after flying in from the UK, and asked if they could at least move this "party" to the public area of the hotel? He told us that this was not possible, but he would have a word with them. After 30 minutes of listening to the loud conversations (yes, you could hear everything they were saying as if they were sitting next to you - we even heard one party guest telling another that he wasn't even staying in the hotel), we called the front desk again. We said if he couldn't move the "party", could he at least move us to a room in a different part of the hotel where we could get some sleep. Unfortunately that was not possible as the hotel was fully booked, but they would sort out the noise. 15 minutes later we heard someone knock on the room next door (we didn't hear them the first time we complained), and ask them to quieten down. The party dispersed shortly afterwards and we managed to somehow get back to sleep sometime after 2 am.

The following day we went out for the day but we were going to a party that evening in Newport Beach and had asked the receptionist (when we had first arrived the previous day) the best and cheapest way of getting there (taxi, hire-car etc). We needed to be there at 6pm, and we were told it would take about an hour. She informed us that a taxi would probably be best as it would only cost $60 each way. We arrived back earlier than expected from our day out, and decided to head to Newport Beach early to fit some shopping in before the party, and so asked the receptionist to book the taxi for us (this was a different receptionist from the previous day). We then headed to our room to change. 5 minutes later I received a call informing me that a taxi woud cost $170 each way and did she want me to go ahead and book it? Obviously I was shocked and repeated the price we were quoted the previous day by the other receptionist. This receptionist told me she had called 3 taxi companies and they were all around $170 one way! I then asked how much it would cost to hire a cheap car, and was told $55 (plus around $30 for insurances). Obviously we opted for this option but it took around one and half hours to organise and deliver to the hotel - so we were lucky that we had got back early from our day out as we just made it on time for the party!

The most disappointing thing about our experience was that when we returned from our night out, there was a note apologising for the mix-up and also for the noise the night before. The note was nice, but they had also left an uncovered plate with one (now stale) cookie and one (now wizened) strawberry and I think they were 2 small biscotti biscuits which we all know are very hard unless dipped in a hot drink. That was supposed to make up for our sleepless night (caused by the hotel) and mix up with the taxi/ rushed car hire situation, also caused by the hotel.

The rest our stay I felt was marred by our first day, and I although the staff were pleasant, I didn't feel happy there. Considering we were paying over $600 a night for the accommodation, I felt robbed and cheated, and it was not the happy experience to the beginning of our trip that I was hoping for (and had spent hours researching).

When were checking out we tried to see the manager about the problems we had incurred with the hotel, but she wouldn't see us face to face (even though she was in the hotel) and so we had to have the conversation about our issues on the telephone with her! She had apparently not been informed about any of them, or so she said. She did give us some money off, but only when we prompted it, but that didn't compensate for the poor start to our holiday and the not nice hotel experience we had there. I would definitely not return again.

I also felt the breakfast at $25 per person was very steep. They did offer a large selection which looked really good, but if one of you just wants yoghurt, cereal and a coffee, I thought it was a bit of a rip off for that and that's why I only gave it a 2 on the scores. It's nice to have once as a treat but if you are staying for few days it all adds up! If you are paying over $600 a night for a room you would normally expect breakfast to be included.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple