“Good place to stay”
Review of Sea Shore Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Monica
Sea Shore Motel
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Ottawa, Canada
“Good place to stay”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a very well maintained, family run motel in an excellent location. The room we stayed in was a good size, with tiles on the floor and a comfortable kingsized bed. The bathroom was a decent size too. Though the motel is on a busy street, we did not hear noise at night when we closed the windows and put on the airconditioner. The motel is in an easy walk to the beaches. The front desk staff were all very helpful and friendly. Parking is included in the price. My only minor complaint was that the little fridge in the room did not seem to keep our food very cold. Apparently these are new energy efficient fridges that were recently installed. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Superb location on Main Street. For a young traveller it's right opposite the Victorian and the Basement, which are great bars. It's also a short cab ride to the Bungalows, which is another great drinking establishment. The room was tidy and the reception staff were friendly.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Giventofly84
Roseville, California
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in June (Friday through Monday), and overall I would stay here again. Despite some earlier reviews, this hotel and location matches the rates accurately. The location is very good. I rode my bike from the hotel to everywhere in the area (you could also walk, but it would be a good half-hour walk to the SM Pier and the same in the opposite direction to Venice Beach). The walk to the beach is only 10 minutes.
I arrived an hour early from check-in time, but he switched my room to the second floor (Room 11) immediately. My room was very nice. Bed was good, newer tiles on floor and bathroom, granite-type counters, A/C was perfect and quiet, and they also had a portable fan in the room, which was great. The room seemed very modern and not needing renovation. Street noise was there, but the street noise did not bother my sleep.
However, one minor problem was when the front desk called my room at 11:30 PM Sat. night and woke me up. They asked if I called them earlier, but I did not. Falling back asleep was a problem because the nearby partying was heard for a while, college kids screaming and yelling, not sure where from? Perhaps it was graduation weekend for many students?
Other than that, the staff was friendly and very helpful. For example, when I arrived back in my car Sunday at midnight after attending a concert, the manager came out and helped me park my car in the small lot. I never tried the cafe (Angelino's?) next door, but it looked great and was always very busy.
Overall, I felt the rate and location was fair for the price of about $180 per night (taxes included). I would recommend having a bike the entire time at this hotel so that you can get to nearby places more quickly than walking.
Finally, be aware that a few of the earlier negative reviews are from people who are high-maintenance travelers that are spoiled and flip out over minor things. They should put up (and pay double for a fancy hotel on the beach), or shut up and enjoy this hotel, which is a great value and location for this pricey and popular area of Southern California.

Room Tip: get a room farther away from the street, book early as this hotel seem to fill up weeks in advance
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Redwood26
fort lauderdale
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Cannot ask for a better location. Right smack dab in the middle of main street. Great coffee shop Amelia's downstairs. Walk to many restaurants stores bars and Venice Beach. Free parking included with room. Absolutely no complaints. Room was quiet enough with windows closed and A/C running. Try to take room on second floor if possible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here in April 2013.I agree with some of the posts about the rooms needing renovations, saggy beds and old sheets etc. and there is a lot of street noise.
I really liked the location with the Sunday market across the street. We walked everywhere and the Sea Shore Motel is right in the middle of a really funky area.
The staff are fantastic, Ken and Tom? They were friendly and gave us great tips on where to eat and what to do during our stay. We aren't high maintenance travellers so this place was just fine for us. I would stay here again. BTW, the coffee shop next door has great coffee for your morning fix.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the back.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karen M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The location of the motel is great, in the heart of Santa Monica, so you don't need a car.

Thought it was very expensive for the quality of the room. The furnishings were very old, the floor felt and looked really grubby, one of the towels was stained - not nice. It was also quite noisy at night - there's a club over the road and if any other guests are outside you can hear them. Having said that, I wouldn't not recommend it, just be prepared for a budget motel.

We only stayed 2 nights, was great for a base to explore the area and the staff were very nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We chose this motel based on the other reviews here and it did not let us down.

The reception staff are very friendly and welcoming and were very forthcoming with reccomendations, local map and even suggestions for our next few days in Vegas.

We booked a king room, but were given a standard double. As I'm 6ft 5 I simply cannot fit on a double but again the friendly owner was very accommodating and gave us the King after we raised our concerns. Like a previous review mentioned the room type is not guaranteed and generally reserved for people staying several nights.

The king bed was very comfy, making for a welcome nights sleep after a 15 hour plane trip from Brisbane.

Noise wasn't an issue, but I have an idea that our extraordinarily loud a/c unit drowned most of it out.

Lula Mexican Restaurant a few mins walk up the road was an outstanding suggestion for dinner. Happy hour 1-7pm M-F with the most incredible margaritas my wife & I have ever tasted ($5 too!). We're going to try the Omelette bar for brekky this morning.

We would recommend it for the location and price and would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple