“Like, welcome to the Sea Shell, Dude.”
Review of Sea Shore Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Monica
Sea Shore Motel
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Philadelphia
“Like, welcome to the Sea Shell, Dude.”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Being in sunny Malibu on a sparkling afternoon doesn't seem like too bad an idea –– unless you're sitting in a rented gas guzzling Crown Vic in stalled traffic on the southbound lane of the beautiful Pacific Coast Highway. Apparently, a few downed power lines farther along the pike can bring the mighty LA to a screeching halt.

As I sat in the passenger seat, snapping pics of beautiful homes and snatches of coast, I had to laugh when I saw a sign that announced that we were on something called a Tsunami Evacuation Route. If everybody is trying to escape a tsunami, I imagine the roads would be a little more busy than they were at present. Best to stay in town, go up to the roof, and blow up your water wings.

After a couple of hours of this, we thought it a good idea to call the Sea Shore Motel to let them know the situation and re-secure our reservation. It was getting late. We were happy to hear that they hadn't given away our room just yet. We rolled in about 5:15 PM and were told we were to be in Room 12. Which was odd, because the key had the number 14 stamped on it.

Room 14 turned out to be a spacious terra cotta tiled room with a timbered ceiling and a queen sized bed, deep and comfy arm chair, a large screen tv, and a fridge and kitchen table with two chairs, ample closet space, an ironing board, a small electric fan, and, thankfully... an air conditioning unit. There was a good sized en-suite bath with a nicely tiled shower stall and a bonus hair dryer.

My wife went to the front desk to clear up the room number situation and to obtain a street map. The woman who told me we were in Room 12 also told my wife she had already given a map to me (she hadn't). Anyway, in a state with semi-legal marijuana use, and in a town as laid back as Santa Monica, it's best not to dispute incorrect room assignments or argue the toss about street maps with heavy lidded desk help. Just go with the flow, dude. Who needs a, "whatever, man" as a reply? Not to say she was a female version of the Big Lebowski, just to say she was just a little flaky, yet pleasant... like a Southern California fruit pie.

The Sea Shore Motel was okay. Clean. Busy. At $189 a night, it was a little pricey for an older motel without a pool, but considering its favorable location, the fare seemed fair.

My distinct impression of Santa Monica is that we had arrived 35 years too late. SM is most def a town for the young and self aware. Many restaurants along Main Street cater to the affluent, the hip, the under-40 crowd. I felt like I had parked in the wrong city. Closer to Venice Beach than Santa Monica Pier, the motel was situated in a good spot for the ocean and its attractions. But an automobile is needed to get to a lot of eating places in a more moderate price range than Main Street ($10 for two eggs: get real). See our review of Mariasol Cocina Mexicans on Trip Advisor.

The much vaunted homeless folks are in great numbers in the parks and on the streets, but we did not feel hassled or threatened in any way. As East Coast city dwellers, they did not seem in the same league as the crazies of NYC, Philly, or DC. Na mean?*

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Australind, Australia
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We stayed in one of their deluxe apartments in a separate building for 4 nights, and we loved it. Check in was so easy and they were very helpful about what to see and where to go locally. The apartment was up a set of stairs and through a secure outside landing. The security meant that we felt safe leaving our 15 yr old there by herself for a couple of hours.The apartment was so spacious, and having a full kitchen meant we could cook a few meals ourselves, which was good after almost 2 weeks of eating out. The apartment had a bedroom with 2 queen beds in it and a queen sofa bed in the living room. There was a little balcony too. We had undercover parking. The location is easy walking to the beach and about 20 min to the Pier. There is a laundromat next door - so convenient. Our apartment was back from the road,so didn't notice much noise, apart from the occasional siren, it might be different if your windows were on the street side.
We loved our stay at Santa MonIca and the Sea Shore, but didn't have enough time to explore the area, we'll definitely be back!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Kerry C
Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I have stayed at the Seashore Motel before, and when I planned my birthday trip, I ultimately decided to stay there again. And I immediately remembered why. First, the quoting process is a breeze because the staff answers the phone, answers your questions, and provides you with helpful and honest information about the property and location. They offer rates that I would consider VERY GOOD for the area and the quality of the experience. And when the standard room we wanted was unavailable for the weekend of our trip, they offered an upgrade at a very small price increase.

Everything is clean and quaint inside the rooms. The suite we were in had a new flat-panel TV. All the furnishings were old, but that's never bothered me before. My second-favorite thing about The Sea Shore Motel (aside from the motel and staff) is the location. It is located right on Main Street in Santa Monica, which is in the middle of things but not in the middle of everything. The Motel is only about 3 blocks from the beach and 1 mile from Santa Monica Place and 3rd Street Promenade. In the other direction, you can walk to Venice Beach and boardwalk, though it is a little more of a hike (about 2 miles?). There are a ton of trendy restaurants and independent chic boutiques right nearby, and on Sundays there is a farmer's market directly across the street. The hotel is in a quiet location, so your overnight should not be interrupted by frequent loud noises.

My only disappointment with my stay is that the room came with a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. But it did not come with coffee filters OR cups, bowls, plates, and flatware. The filters and cups were my main frustration. I would have happily packed them along with the gourmet coffee I packed if I'd known in advance.

BONUS: there is a little coffee shop connected to the front of the building (I don't know how their coffee is). When we arrived and were checking in, Michael Keaton was drinking coffee at a bistro table right there!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alison O
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights recently. The location is superb and the staff are very friendly and helpful, especially Ken who was always willing to help out. However it is a bit noisy at night so bring your ear plugs. The property itself is a bit dated and could use a freshen up, but its clean and serves its purpose.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank bellmeister
London, Canada
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Good rate and clean place in this area. Nothing fancy, but good for a one night stop in Santa Monica. Staff where very helpful and accomodating.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This hotel was clean,the room was a little noisy from the traffic on the street and they were doing sme type of construction around the back which was also a little bit noisy.
The location is great and not enough people mention that Main street has a lot of nice shops with art work or products made by locals.You can walk to Venice Beach in about 20 minutes.
Free parking is great. Dont forget the late night meters if you are driving around in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Swingdancers123
Gavle, Sweden
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed here for seven nights and had an appartment behind their main building.
The location is really great and felt completely safe.
10 minutes quick walk to the pier, 20 minutes walk from Venice and only 5 minutes tops to the beach. Restautants and shops are just outside your door.
The free parking is perfect since you can not manage without a car if you plan to explore other parts of LA.
The appartment was good. Nothing to complain about there. It had everything you needed (Towels, iron, fridge, stowe, kitchen equipment, TV in main room as well as in the bedroom.
Clean, comfy and spacious.

Ken working at the front desk was great and realy helpful!!

I was deciding between staying in Santa Monica and Venice and after visting Venice a couple of times during the visit I can say I do not regret my decsision to stay at Sea Shore Motel a bit..
It was two different worlds. Venice is great for people wathing and strolling around, but to stay there....I would have been disapointed. It is quite dodgy and I like to just be able to step out from the hotel in the evening for a strol and some shopping/eating and I doubt I would have felt comfortable doing that in Venice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple