“I tried to stay here...bad customer service.”

Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Irvine, CA
“I tried to stay here...bad customer service.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2010

I tried to stay here for my wedding night but their customer service was horrible.

I called many of the Boutique Hotels in Santa Monica and I thought Shangri La Santa Monica was going to be my number one choice but their customer service over the phone left a lot to be desired. I called to ask about specials and rates for like a romance package for this very special night I was planning and the response of the person at the front desk was like "ahh...I'm not sure if we do that but I guess you could ask our concierge" and was like "OK" so he patched me through.

But when I called the concierge it rang three times and then went to voicemail, which I thought was odd. (In my experience the concierge should be the pinnacle of a hotel's customer service NOT a position who doesn't pick up the phone.) In any case I left a voicemail and expected a call back later that day, but it didn't happen so I started calling other Boutique Hotels in the area. I ended up calling the Shangri-La 2 more times to give the hotel another shot but still the phone rang without anyone picking it up. On the voicemail it said to Press "0" for immediate assistance, which I did but then it hung up on me. Absolutely horrible.

Finally, a full day later the concierge from the Shangri-La called me back after I had already made a reservation at the Oceana in Santa Monica. I said to her that it would take a lot to change my mind about the decision but she persuaded me that she should talk to her GM about making me a better offer. After several more hours of waiting she got back to me and basically said that the Romance Package could not be offered to me. Meanwhile, the Oceana offered me a free romance package and put me in a much nicer room than what the Shangri-La was offering me. I can see why the Oceana gets much higher reviews on this site than the Shangri-La

<b>In the final analysis here is what the Shangri-La needs to work on:</b>
-Routing calls correctly - the front desk should've probably routed me to reservations rather than concierge in the first place.
-Better response time from the Concierge desk. ( I don't know if this means hiring addition concierges or what but it needs to be better). To not receive a call back from the concierge during same day is just not acceptable.
-Fixing Mistakes - If you say you are going to fix a mistake then actually do something different, don't come back to the customer and offer the same thing you did before. Make the situation better.
</b>

In any case we are really looking forward to staying at the Oceana in Santa Monica and probably won't ever stay at the Shangri-La because of their lack of customer attention. They need to step their game up!

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Irvine_Mike_2010
Stephan M, Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, July 25, 2016
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we have been permanently improving since your last visit and would be glad to welcome you again in Santa Monica. As you can see with the latest feedback from other Tripadvisor Members, you will not be disappointed by our outstanding Guest services and all the amenities of our Shangri-La property, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do for you.

Director of Operation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

The rooms were small but had everything we needed and more. The view was awesome with the pier almost across from the hotel and the staff were always helpful. They even got their doctor on the phone for us when we were looking to get some advice from a doctor one day.
The location was great. Getting down to the ocean just took a couple of minutes and even getting to Venus beach wasn't difficult (we hired a tandem bike but walking was just as easy and a nice stroll).
Our only complaint would be that the pool still wasn't finished when we were there - we were told it would be when we enquired. Though it was dissappointing, that didn't bother us so much, but being woken up by the noise of the work during the mornings did.

Overall a great hotel and would recommend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2010

I stayed at the shangri la for two night last week . This is by far the best hotel i have been to in southern california, the location in santa monica is perfect .
The service was really good, very nice style and smiling people ...
Definitely a place i would recommend!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

I just returned from my trip to Santa Monica and stayed at Shangri-La. I had a wonderful time and felt very welcome from the moment I stepped out of the car. The valet attendants were attentive and accommodating, as were the door attendants. The lobby of the hotel was not entirely impressive, but it was clean and quaint. Outside, the lounge area was empty and a little worn, but is probably nice during the summer. The room I was in had a king-sized bed which took up most of the space, but I didn't find this to be a problem. There was still room for a chair and ottoman which was next to my ocean-view window. Although I was on the 3rd floor, the view was still amazing. I left the window open during most of my stay since the weather was breezy. The bathroom was standard with a standing shower and a few amenities (hairdryer, make-up mirror, toiletries, etc). The one gripe I had was the door which was so big that I couldn't just leave it open without it getting in the way. After a hot shower, I'd rather have the door open, but I did fine with leaving it ajar. I did not try the restaurant or room service.

Overall, I'd say this hotel is a great place if you want to be close to the ocean. I did not pay for the hotel, so I can't say what type of value it is, but judging by various rates I've seen on different websites, it seems a little pricey for what it is. It's in walking distance of shopping at 3rd St Promenade, various restaurants and of course, Santa Monica Pier.
If you're looking for a boutique hotel, this should definitely be an option if you don't mind spending the extra money.

• Stayed February 2010

Shanghai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

We stayed at the Shangri la at the start of a holiday taking in LA and Vegas. We booked not really knowing anything about the area except that it was next to the sea! The hotel itself was excellent, although relatively small there was still a great restaurant and bar and the staff were very helpful. We had booked through a website and when we arrived we had been put into a room on the ground floor facing the street, I asked whether we could be moved to a higher floor and it was no trouble at all. The bed was extremely soft and the room decor was modern, with a view on to the beach the whole room was light and airy.
I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

I stayed here for three nights in October. We upgraded to a deluxe, beach view room. The king bed was lovely, but there wasn't even enough space in the room to squeeze past the bed to get to the other side of the room. Also, no hairdryer in the room and no fan in the bathroom (so when you showered the whole bathroom fogged up). It was very noisy in the morning because of the layout of the hotel. And, on returning to Melbourne, I discovered I had picked up SCABIES, which means that the bed linen had not been changed between patrons. I know I picked up scabies at this hotel as we stayed with my dad for the rest of the trip. Pretty disgusting!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jyo61

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2010

As part of a two destination trip for my husband's and my anniversary we spent three nights in Santa Monica before going to Las Vegas. When we were looking for different hotel options in Los Angeles our travel agent suggested that we try the Shangri-La and we are so happy that we did.

This hotel is on Ocean Avenue, only a five minute walk from the Santa Monica Pier and a five minute walk (and a lot of stairs) from the ocean. The Third Street Promenade and outdoor farmer's market were also only a five to eight minute walk away. The hotel couldn't be in a nicer location in terms of the amenities.

From the outside the hotel doesn't necessarily look like it's going to be a very nice experience, but once you walk in the door, that opinion instantly changes. The entire interior of the hotel has been very recently renovated and upgraded. The lobby is comfortable and well designed.

We had a room on the third floor with a great view of the ocean. The bathroom was amazing and large, and had windows that opened between the tub and the bedroom so you could sit in the tub and watch TV or have the great ocean breeze coming in through the entire space.

The pool area was very nice, but not very large. They had both a pool and a hot tub. There weren't very many outdoor beds and umbrellas though, so on the weekend it was difficult to find a spot, but during the week it was much easier. Since it was a smaller hotel it was easy to get outdoor service if you wanted a drink or something to eat by the pool. The food was excellent. We had a shrimp cocktail that the vodka cocktail sauce was just to die for! We also tried their hamburger, which I would venture to say is one of the best I've had.

The service at this hotel was excellent. The staff were always nice and very willing to help. One of the best things was every night before bed, the staff would come around for turndown service and drop off fresh baked cookies. This was a nice personal touch that made our stay there that much more enjoyable.

However, like any stay, it wasn't without its flaws. The only major problem that we had with this hotel was their lack of security or privacy in terms of their pool area. If you came in to the hotel for Happy Hour or to have dinner at the restaurant you had access to their pool. Since most people coming for these events aren't wearing their swimsuits, on two separate occasions we went to use the pool to find people not staying at the hotel in their underwear in the pool. The first instance was a couple that had dinner (and too much to drink) in the restaurant. They then chose to strip down to their underwear and hop in the hot tub. The second instance was an afternoon and a group of young adults came into the hotel for Happy Hour and ended up in the pool in their underwear and bras. This was our only complaint about our stay, otherwise this hotel was amazing.

I think that by staying at a smaller hotel we were able to have a more personal and a better experience. We had a great time at this hotel and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple