“Amazing!!!!!”

Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I stayed at the shangri la for two night last week . This is by far the best hotel i have been to in southern california, the location in santa monica is perfect .
The service was really good, very nice style and smiling people ...
Definitely a place i would recommend!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Stephan M, Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2016

Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel, we have been permanently improving since your last visit and would be glad to welcome you again in Santa Monica. As you can see with the latest feedback from other Tripadvisor Members, you will not be disappointed by our outstanding Guest services and all the amenities of our Shangri-La property, do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we can do for you.

Reviewed February 4, 2010

I just returned from my trip to Santa Monica and stayed at Shangri-La. I had a wonderful time and felt very welcome from the moment I stepped out of the car. The valet attendants were attentive and accommodating, as were the door attendants. The lobby of the hotel was not entirely impressive, but it was clean and quaint. Outside, the lounge area was empty and a little worn, but is probably nice during the summer. The room I was in had a king-sized bed which took up most of the space, but I didn't find this to be a problem. There was still room for a chair and ottoman which was next to my ocean-view window. Although I was on the 3rd floor, the view was still amazing. I left the window open during most of my stay since the weather was breezy. The bathroom was standard with a standing shower and a few amenities (hairdryer, make-up mirror, toiletries, etc). The one gripe I had was the door which was so big that I couldn't just leave it open without it getting in the way. After a hot shower, I'd rather have the door open, but I did fine with leaving it ajar. I did not try the restaurant or room service.

Overall, I'd say this hotel is a great place if you want to be close to the ocean. I did not pay for the hotel, so I can't say what type of value it is, but judging by various rates I've seen on different websites, it seems a little pricey for what it is. It's in walking distance of shopping at 3rd St Promenade, various restaurants and of course, Santa Monica Pier.
If you're looking for a boutique hotel, this should definitely be an option if you don't mind spending the extra money.

• Stayed: February 2010

Reviewed February 3, 2010

We stayed at the Shangri la at the start of a holiday taking in LA and Vegas. We booked not really knowing anything about the area except that it was next to the sea! The hotel itself was excellent, although relatively small there was still a great restaurant and bar and the staff were very helpful. We had booked through a website and when we arrived we had been put into a room on the ground floor facing the street, I asked whether we could be moved to a higher floor and it was no trouble at all. The bed was extremely soft and the room decor was modern, with a view on to the beach the whole room was light and airy.
I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 13, 2010

I stayed here for three nights in October. We upgraded to a deluxe, beach view room. The king bed was lovely, but there wasn't even enough space in the room to squeeze past the bed to get to the other side of the room. Also, no hairdryer in the room and no fan in the bathroom (so when you showered the whole bathroom fogged up). It was very noisy in the morning because of the layout of the hotel. And, on returning to Melbourne, I discovered I had picked up SCABIES, which means that the bed linen had not been changed between patrons. I know I picked up scabies at this hotel as we stayed with my dad for the rest of the trip. Pretty disgusting!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jyo61

Reviewed January 9, 2010

As part of a two destination trip for my husband's and my anniversary we spent three nights in Santa Monica before going to Las Vegas. When we were looking for different hotel options in Los Angeles our travel agent suggested that we try the Shangri-La and we are so happy that we did.

This hotel is on Ocean Avenue, only a five minute walk from the Santa Monica Pier and a five minute walk (and a lot of stairs) from the ocean. The Third Street Promenade and outdoor farmer's market were also only a five to eight minute walk away. The hotel couldn't be in a nicer location in terms of the amenities.

From the outside the hotel doesn't necessarily look like it's going to be a very nice experience, but once you walk in the door, that opinion instantly changes. The entire interior of the hotel has been very recently renovated and upgraded. The lobby is comfortable and well designed.

We had a room on the third floor with a great view of the ocean. The bathroom was amazing and large, and had windows that opened between the tub and the bedroom so you could sit in the tub and watch TV or have the great ocean breeze coming in through the entire space.

The pool area was very nice, but not very large. They had both a pool and a hot tub. There weren't very many outdoor beds and umbrellas though, so on the weekend it was difficult to find a spot, but during the week it was much easier. Since it was a smaller hotel it was easy to get outdoor service if you wanted a drink or something to eat by the pool. The food was excellent. We had a shrimp cocktail that the vodka cocktail sauce was just to die for! We also tried their hamburger, which I would venture to say is one of the best I've had.

The service at this hotel was excellent. The staff were always nice and very willing to help. One of the best things was every night before bed, the staff would come around for turndown service and drop off fresh baked cookies. This was a nice personal touch that made our stay there that much more enjoyable.

However, like any stay, it wasn't without its flaws. The only major problem that we had with this hotel was their lack of security or privacy in terms of their pool area. If you came in to the hotel for Happy Hour or to have dinner at the restaurant you had access to their pool. Since most people coming for these events aren't wearing their swimsuits, on two separate occasions we went to use the pool to find people not staying at the hotel in their underwear in the pool. The first instance was a couple that had dinner (and too much to drink) in the restaurant. They then chose to strip down to their underwear and hop in the hot tub. The second instance was an afternoon and a group of young adults came into the hotel for Happy Hour and ended up in the pool in their underwear and bras. This was our only complaint about our stay, otherwise this hotel was amazing.

I think that by staying at a smaller hotel we were able to have a more personal and a better experience. We had a great time at this hotel and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 17, 2009

We loved this little hotel. Pity the pool wasn't finished, but it was still too cold to swim anyhow. The staff were very helpful, the bell-hop was very interesting character - could've chatted for hours with him! We thought the bathroom was great, the bath tub is the deepest one I've ever been in - so luxurious!! Plus you can sit in it and check out the water view! Very cool! It was comfortable, clean, a tad small (standard room), but fabulous location!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 14, 2009

Stayed for one night after having stayed 2 nights at the Fairmont across the road (Fairmont was wonderful and in completely different class).

Location is great but that's where the positives end. The room is just about the smallest I've ever been in. Have tried to cram too many rooms in and in my opinion the massive refurb costs are a waste of money as for this kind of room rate you can stay in far better hotels.

Some nice touches - bed very comfortable and nice art deco features in the bathroom (sunken bath tub is also nice).

All rooms doors seem to face out onto the pool area and I was kept awake by music from the pool at night (had to turn a/c on to cover up noise).

Service was ok nothing special.

Wouldn't stay here again. Stayed in 8 hotels on a 3 week trip in US and this was by far the worst value.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple