“Not Good!!”

Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Orlando, Florida
“Not Good!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Very disappointed in this hotel for the following reasons:

1. Requested a early check-in due, but not checked in until 3pm
2. Requested a 1 hour extension on check-out, and this was also not possible
3. My room was on level 3, right on Ocean Avenue - very noisy with road traffic all night, and no double glazed windows
4. This hotel deceptively advertises itself as being part of the SHANGRI-LA group of hotels, which is most definitely is not
5. For $450 per night, a lot better hotels in LA

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Bruno M
Sonny V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
First and foremost, thank you so much for your feedback.
It's helpful as we try to improve the experience that we offer guests.
We can then adjust how we operate to better serve.
Early check ins are something we struggle with everyday.
Being a small hotel we often find ourselves at a high occupancy, and with a 12pm check out time, we don't always have rooms available before our 3pm check in time. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
In regards to the Shangri-La chain found all over the world, we don't wish to be confused with them. We are in fact an independent hotel, that was one of the first here in Santa Monica.

Most importantly, our main goal is providing exceptional service to our guests, and to read that we have fallen short of that goal is a disappointment for us all.
We, of course, would love another opportunity to show you what this hotel stands for and all of the wonderful experiences we have to offer.

Thank you so much for choosing us, and if you have any further comments or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me at Sonny@shangrila-hotel.com. It would be my pleasure.

Hotel Shangrila

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Visited my mom in LA with my boyfriend, and we wanted a place close to shopping and the beach but also romantic. Finding parking is impossible, and you have to drive by several times to see the valet, and you are charged an arm and a leg to basically park your own car. We waited a bit until someone was available to check us in, and I had reserved a suite and while checking in the lady whispered to her co-worker that the room we reserved was booked. Immediately I was upset, because I had spent hours picking the right hotel and specifically wanted that room. She proceeds to tell me, "oh we would like to offer you a free upgrade to our .... room that is comparable." She showed me the floor plan of it, and I let her know I would take the room but I was not happy with what they had done. Once we arrived in our room through a VERY small elevator that was uncomfortable for 3 people, I was disappointed. I did not want to express this in front of my bf and mom who had came with us to see the room so I did not ask for a room change. There was a TON of empty space in the room with no decoration or use whatsoever. The kitchen was nice and fully equipped, and the bed was comfy. The balcony had a nice view, BUT it is shared with every other room down the hall which was very disappointing. The bathroom was JUST as described by several other people on their site, but I assumed that if that was the ONLY flaw in the room I would be happy except in my instance it was not. The bathroom is extremely small. Two people can not stand comfortably and get ready in there. The sink area was not big enough to hold mine and my boyfriend's things, and the jacuzzi tub was a nightmare. It was over 3 feet deep and you literally had to climb up on the ledge to get in. The shower curtain was awkward, and the hot water heater was in the bathroom in a closet that was just tacky. The pool looked nice, but was shaded so we did not visit since it was cool out. The pros of this hotel was definitely the location, the beach was directly across the street once you hiked up and down a bunch of stairs and walked forever to reach the water lol. It was gorgeous and clean though. There were a ton of restaurants and shops nearby that I loved. The hotel bar was small and COLD, but was a nice edition. They had another area that was closed off for a private event so we did not get to enjoy the entire bar. We did not try any of the food options at the hotel. I am 50/50 on the hotel so me personally would not stay there again. I was fooled by the online photos, and I should have listened to the reviews.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonny V, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your review.
To be honest, I've read this review many times, and I have the same reaction every time.
We, as a hotel, have to do better than this.
Having the opportunity to respond to reviews that our valued guests take time to submit on TripAdvisor, I become increasingly more grateful for the information given.
You should know how sincerely sorry we are to read of your dissatisfaction.
I want to address every part of your review, and tell you all about how your review has sparked a new level of practice at the Shangrila when it comes to customer service.
But what I wish write more is our desire to have another opportunity to show you what this hotel has to offer. Our location is wonderful, and Santa Monica is a beautiful city, but inside the walls of the Hotel Shangrila is a dynamic, restful, and exciting luxury experience. And you deserve nothing less.

If you find yourself in the area again, and are in need of a hotel, please feel free to contact me directly at 310.394.2791. Ask for Sonny, the Guest Relations Manager. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back, and help make your stay special. As it should be. Thank you so much again.

Guest Relations Manager.
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I really enjoy to stayed at Shangri-La in Santa Monica beach, my boyfriend and I, really love it. Really helpful staff, good services, the room is really nice, we got the beach view, super clean, huge bathroom. Cute swimming pool area. Really fantastic location, super convenience to walk around, go to the beach, pier and the third street.

The roof top is really great spot to see sunset, a little bit crowded.
The parking is quite expensive for the hotel guest, but parking valet staff really great.

Internet wifi connection really need a seriously fix, not working probably.

Love it there

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CK_JaAey
Thank you so much for posting your review.
I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay, and everything this hotel has to offer.
In regards to our WiFi, I wanted to let you know that we recently just tapped into the city's fiber optics system. Our internet is truly lightning fast, with a strong signal all throughout the hotel.
Please come back and see us again. We look forward to sharing with you all of the advancements we strive to make everyday.

Thanks so much again for your feedback.
Have great days until we meet again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and really loved the ambience of the Shangri La from the pool area to the room to the rooftop bar where the views were fantastic! The customer service from the concierge desk was exceptional, and we were able to plan day trips for each day with great attention to detail provided by the staff helping us to make the most of our time in LA. Food in the restaurant was delicious. Thank you to all the staff for your great customer service, we had a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The standard room was a little on the small side, but the ensuite was a good size, and you can obvio...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us.
Exceptional service is our top priority.
The front desk/concierge staff want your time in our city to be full of all of the sights and experiences you desire. So happy that we could be helpful in that way.
We are also glad that you enjoyed the restaurant. The menu changes seasonally, and takes advantage of the local produce found at the farmers market that happens twice a week here in Santa Monica.
Please come see us again, and keep an eye on our website for any packages or promotions for some of our other room types. The Deluxe Ocean View room is one of our more popular rooms with great views of the pacific.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have stayed here before and loved the place. So we decided to go back. When booking we explained that we were there to celebrate a 40th birthday.
On arriving we were upgraded to the most wonderful suite with views over the ocean and city from the biggest balcony ever. The suite was more like an apartment and absolutely luxurious including a kitchen, lounge separate bedroom and wonderful bathroom with a hot tub.
Within five minutes of arriving in the room we were delivered a bottle of champagne ( what a lovely touch).
The service and staff at this hotel were very friendly and helpful.
Since our last visit we noticed the pool had been upgraded and had a very funky vibe. The gym was also brilliant and the rooftop bar well worth a visit for sunset. This place must have the best views in santa Monica.
We look forward to returning hopefully soon.

Room Tip: Ask for room 607 you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew C
We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us!
I'm so glad we were able to upgrade you to one of our Terrace Suites.
The room you stayed in is one of my favorites.
We like to have our guests relax in style.
We hope we have another chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Have great days until we see you again.

All the best,

Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Don't event try to get a room on the 6th floor under the roof top bar! You won't be able to sleep.

The A/C doesn't work.

The lights are 'red' and therefore your bedroom looks like a brothel.

Asked for the car at 6:45 got it at 6am!

Not even coffee available for a cuppa!

Clean. Yes, very clean and well located.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank TrevelerFB2008
I'm so happy to read that you felt our service was great.
Service is our top priority. However, we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction you experienced during your time with us. Areas like lighting, A/C, etc. are our focus everyday as we make advancements and grow as a hotel. Those areas in specific have improved greatly just in the last few months. By reading about our guest's experiences we have a testimony that gives us insight and direction. We appreciate the time you took to share your experience with us. It is truly helpful, and an asset to our growth.

Please come back and see us again.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Hotel Shangrila.

Guernsey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Having read previous reviews, I was a little apprehensive about staying here. However, it was a pleasant surprise. A small gripe - the valet parking area is a walk away from the main door and there is no drop off point, or assistance with luggage. However, upon arrival at the hotel (having struggled up the steps and through the door without any help), check in was efficient and friendly.
Our suite was spacious and well appointed, with excellently functioning aircon. The glass bathroom is strange, but there is a curtain for privacy.
We didn't eat in the hotel, but visited the bar by the pool a couple of times. Service was fine.
The pool is very small with very few sun loungers and, since it is in a courtyard, the sun goes off it very early in the afternoon. It was also freezing. So not the best place to go after a heavy day of sightseeing for a relaxing swim.
The hotel itself is very well located for the pier and nearby bars and restaurants. Its a short stroll to the harbour area as well.
Check out was fine, with the usual lack of assistance to take our bags to the car. Not disappointed, but not raving about it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting this review on TripAdvisor.
We are so glad that you chose the Shangrila out of the many choices available to you
in Santa Monica.
We are disappointed to read about the type of service you experienced during your time with us.
Everyday we strive to uphold the luxury service that we stand for.
We want to make you feel Welcome, Important, and Comfortable during your time.
Being warm, personable, and helpful is our practice.

While I can't change what you experienced before, please come back and see us again. We would love an opportunity to show you just what this hotel stands for, and the ways we have improved leaps and bounds in the areas that you have brought to our attention. Your feedback gives us the direction we need to improve the experience we offer our guests.