“Art Deco Icon”

Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night after a two month trip around Sth America. I loved the art deco decor of the hotel and the location was a short walk from Santa Monica Pier and shops and restaurants. We were upgraded to an ocean view room which was extremely comfortable and there was no traffic noise from the road outside. The bed was great and the bathroom well laid out with a spa bath. There was a little stool under the vanity to use as a step into the high bath which was a quirky feature. We used the hotel driver to go to the airport after we checked out - the car was large and comfortable and the price was reasonable. We very much enjoyed our stay here and would certainly go back again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Hello ShellSB

Thank you for staying with us after your visit to South America. It was our pleasure having you.

Next time we hope you are able to stay with us longer than one night! Santa Monica is a wonderful vacation destination and we would be happy to welcome you back.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Some travellers, as we initially did, might mistake this hotel for part of the more upmarket Shangri-La chain of hotels. Given the cost, it should have been. The hotel is a little disappointing from the outside as the exterior is still old, even though internally it has been updated and modernised, and there is no easy front access for taxis, so they have to drop you off on the street and the poor concierges have to manoeuvre your luggage across the nature strip and up a side ramp.

The hotel is well situated, the pool area very nice, the rooms are comfortable although a little on the small side but the old and small lifts are inadequate for the hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful but unfortunately a number of the front desk staff are not all that knowledgeable of the area and have to rely on the internet, and even then get it wrong.

On one occasion, we wanted to know what bus would take us into Hollywood and after googling were told that it would take 4 different buses. We decided this was too hard, so went for a walk instead. We saw an information booth a block away and luckily decided to ask there where we learnt that there is a single bus, one block from the hotel, that goes all the way up Santa Monica Boulevard and straight into Hollywood.

On another occasion, I asked where the nearest laundromat was and after asking around & googling, was told it was a 10-15 minute walk. Turned out it was a 45 minute walk and I am not a slow walker. Luckily I had put my washing in a small suitcase with wheels, as to carry it that far would have been impossible. These are not unusual questions to be asking and negatively impact your impression of staff who are otherwise friendly, willing and eager to help.

My daughter,who was travelling with her 14 month old baby, had a problem with her room, with someone smoking dope either in the public restrooms in the pool area or from the room next door. There is a very popular rooftop nightclub in the hotel, so there are a lot of other people wandering around the hotel besides guests.

The hotel was full and the answer was to bring large fans into the room to get rid of the smoke and smell. Luckily we were able to take the baby into our room during that time. When they were allowed back into the room around 10pm, although it was a bit better, it was still unsuitable for a baby, and the person/s had resumed smoking again. The duty manager's initial response given the hotel was full, for us to go and find another hotel and they would help us. After being told that we would not be driving around Santa Monica in the middle of the night with all our luggage and a baby, there was a bit of a panic. The saviour of the situation was Marcelle from housekeeping and Earl the concierge, who miraculously found a suite, and they were moved in there. We appreciate this is an unusual situation, but all we were offered in compensation, was to go and have a complementary drink in the bar.

There is a farmers market in Arizona St which runs alongside the hotel on Saturday morning, which is a must. Beautiful array of fresh and local produce and virtually just outside the door. The hotel is in walking distance of most of the Santa Monica attractions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Coltonvic
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Overall, my stay at the Shangrila was average until my items went missing from my room straight after room services/housekeeping !

The hotel did not bother to credit me for my losses or give me some sort of incentive- all I got was a "sorry" ! This is unacceptable as they didn't seem like they cared at all...

For 400 dollars a night I would pay a little extra and go somewhere where you know your belongings are safe ! There is a lot of young staff here lurking around rooms !!

Rooms are VERY small (deluxe ocean view room) smallest room I've seen yet and I've been travelling throughout America ! It was very hard to move around which made it uncomfortable - beds were good !!

The showers are also pretty bad as the temperature changes every 30 seconds which sucks after a long day out ! The tub is also too high so it's hard to get in and out !!

Food is also pretty bad here - we ordered room service and bread was hard and not fresh !!

Not impressed especially after the good reviews I read on this site !! Very disappointed, especially because I knew my valuables were not safe - I did not have any peace of mind while I was out!

Only good thing about this hotel is the location!!

Peace

• Stayed: April 2013

Hello Nomad123aa

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am disappointed your stay was not a comfortable one and I would like to assist you personally.

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel is right on Ocean Avenue and it short walk, albeit lots of stairs, to the beach. More importantly it is within walking distance of most everything you will want to do in Santa Monica.

The staff was good and all the amenities were fine. One strange thing, was that I reserved a one bedroom suite, but we received a two bedroom suite. There was no additional seating area, just two identical rooms and two full baths. I didn't complain about the set-up so they weren't given the chance to make any chances.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello TPXB

Thank you for staying with us at the Hotel Shangrila. We were happy to have you!

We are glad you enjoyed your time with us. We have several suite layouts, some with complete kitchens that I am sure you will enjoy on a future visit!

Look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I loved our location in Santa Monica. I know you can get closer to the Beach and closer to the Pier, but I felt like Shangri-la was the perfect location for being right in the heart of Santa Monica - best of both worlds; close to the town and close to the beach. The modern updates work perfectly and give the hotel the right kind of charm that makes you want to stay forever. Very classy rooms and a great pool and hot tub to layout and have drinks on a hot day. And the experience would not have been the same if it weren't for Sonny at the Front Desk and Manuel at Valet--The hotel's staff and service are second to none!

Room Tip: As for a view of the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Hello mAndre22

Thank you for staying with us! We are happy you enjoyed the hotel and Santa Monica. We will pass along your kind comments to Sonny and Manuel.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Matt

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights on the start of our US holiday and were not disappointed. Pre-organised the hotel driver to take us to Staples Centre for a Lakers game and were so glad we did, Friday night traffic was hectic and who knows what a taxi would have been, we then had an agreed time with the driver to return and he was on time. Hotel itself is clean and tidy, staff are friendly. Roof top bar is great for a view of the ocean. Our room was on the 2nd floor facing the road, but we had no issues with road noise. King size bed very comfortable, no issues with the bathroom as per previous reviews. Great location, short walk to the pier and very close to the 3rd Street Promenade for shopping and restaurants. Free wi-fi in the entire premises, would stay again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Bolts77

Thank you for staying with us and your review. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Safe travels,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Old hotel, refurbished. They did a nice job turning it in to a new boutique hotel, and some of the remaining "old" is charming. But....if you are short, not a great place to stay. I am 5'2" and practically need a ladder to get in to the tub/shower. Sink & mirrors are also very high, but workable. I had to stay in town again recently, but chose another location primarily because of the difficulty of climbing in to take a shower!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Matthew M, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear oa_oa_sylvia -

Thank you for staying with us at the Hotel Shangrila.

We regret you found our bathroom uncomfortable but are happy you enjoyed the art deco design and historic nature of our hotel.

We wish you the best and, of course, safe travels!