“Great location, disappointing customer service”

Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“Great location, disappointing customer service”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

There are certainly positives about this hotel. Great location, very friendly housekeeping, and valet staff. But that is not enough. Although the room we stayed in was large and the hotel apparently underwent a recent multi-million dollar renovation, the decor was missing something. There was no art on the walls and the workmanship in the bathroom was poor. The towel rack kept crashing to the floor. The day of our checkout was frustrating and ruined an otherwise relaxing getaway. Due to a meeting of ours running late, we called the front desk to request a later check-out. They simply refused. Mind you, this was a slow Monday morning. What really shattered the peace was the fire alarm going off every 5 minutes or so with such piercing frequency, my ears were ringing for days afterward. A call to the front desk to ask how long the cacophony would last was answered with, "all day". Certainly safety mechanisms need to be checked and maintained, but guests should be alerted to this in advance so other arrangements can be made.

Upon check out, amidst the deafening fire alarm, I wanted to let the staff know that I was disappointed that no effort had been made to accommodate my request for a slightly later check out. Rather than showing good customer service skills, the woman checking us out basically said that was policy and she couldn't do anything about it. When I mentioned that the handling of the situation left a lot to be desired and that I would be contacting the Small Luxurty Hotels of the World, to whose Club I belong, and chose the hotel based on their listing, the front desk woman, Chamian, was quite rude and suggested that being listed on such a site was inconsequential. No attempt was made to ease our concerns and Chamian simply stated that she wished she had stayed home and called in sick. Another couple who were staying at the hotel came to the front desk to ask how long the fire alarms would be sounding, only to be told "all day" and they were offered earplugs. They were speechless and we were taken aback at how poorly the situation was handled.

Later in the day, when I called the hotel to share my concerns with the general manager, Chamian answered the call and placed me on hold for so long that either the call was dropped on my phone or she hung up on me.

I have contacted Small Luxury Hotels of the World so they are aware of the experience of one of their members so future travelers may seriously reconsider their choice of this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
MattBeukelman, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Shawn R -

Thank you for staying with us.

I sincerely regret the experiences encountered during your stay. And further, I apologize for the lack of service recovery that was demonstrated on the morning of your departure.

We pride ourselves on our high levels of service and during your stay we missed the mark.

Should you be in the Los Angeles area again please contact me directly and I will personally assist in your arrangements.

Safe travels,
Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 19, 2012

the only good thing about this place is its location. first, they didnt even get us the room we purchased, then we woke up to a fire alarm. we were fine with it until it went off for about an hour. we called the front desk, and they said it would be going off all day. COOL THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL STAY, GLAD I COULDNT EVEN SLEEP.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank vittoriaaa
Hello vittoriaaa-

Thank you for staying with us. Our apologies for the fire alarms; we regret the inconvenience.

We do hope you visit us again. If so, please contact me directly and I will assist with your arrangements.

UK
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Stayed in January with fantastic sunny weather. My room had a great ocean view over the palm trees. The rooftop bar is excellent - even in January - with some much needed outdoor firepits to accompany your sunset watching. Very attentive barman serving excellent whisky sours. The rooms are quite small but have some excellent art deco details, including an enormous bath tub. Very convenient for shopping and restaurants. Overall, a touch of class in a city short of such details.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Hello viperrider03 -

So happy you enjoyed your stay in Santa Monica and with us at the Hotel Shangrila.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Glendale, California
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Bought a Living socail deal for $295 for a one bedroom suite,breakfast for 2 and free valet parking. Seemed like a pretty good deal. Ariving at valet parking, Having just a couple bags, we could have carried them, but the valet asked if we were checking in and said he would get us a bellman. Asked us what we wanted taken to our room. Showed him, 20 minutes later still trying to check in the registration is trying to find our bags on a walkie talkie, they seemed confused. Finally, bellman shows up, along with our few bags , he has a package of 8 rolls of paper towels that were in my trunk. My husband and I start laughing, he seems confused. After finally getting our room, He starts to leave the paper towels, My husband says please take those back to the car, again confused. My husband tips hi $10 dollars, I dont know why. Room was nice, but nothing like the picture they were posting on living social. I forgot to mention the date, being sat, March 10 2012. Breakfast for 2, was not breakfast for 2. It didnt say anything about continental. We decided to have room service do to the time change, they made us aware we needed to be out by 12, what really is 11am. We got coffee, 1 and a1/4 cup each, OJ, choice of toast, we try to watch our carbs, didnt order. asked for fruit. not included, so we got cold oatmeal we didnt eat. I love the art deco building, but really felt the service was way below standard. I would not return, with all the choices out there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Hanson6260
Hello Hanson6260-

Thank you for staying with us. It was our pleasure having you here.

I apologize for the Bellman bringing the incorrect item to you from your automobile. Our oversight.

We hope you visit us again in the future.

cgibbon
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I stayed here last year (with 7 year old in tow) shortly after they re-opened following renovations. I had stayed there several times previously and I must say that I preferred the old model. Their prices increased vastly, but with no discernible improvement. First, we arrvied at 11am - did not expect to check in right away obviously, but they did know we were there (wandering around the neighborhood) and eager to check in, and yet somehow they still failed to meet their "guaranteed" check-in time of 4pm. We were unable to check in until 5pm since the room was not ready. No offer of complimentary snack or discount of the full retail rack rate which we were paying, so I am not sure what "guaranteed" check in time means, if nothing happens if they fail to meet it. Several of the fixtures in the room were impossible to work out (had to call the housekeeper to explain the showerheads, and I travel all the time so it's not as if I have never encountered a hotel shower). There was loud music piped through speakers throughout the corridor outside, presumably to create a niteclub environment, but since the door was not remotely soundproof it kept us awake all night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank cgibbon
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I made a reservation at the Shangri La Santa Monica for my birthday. We booked the Cirque Du Soleil package - ocean front suite, dinner, drinks and premium tickets to Ovo at Santa Monica. My husband received an email on the Wednesday (we were due on the Saturday) welcoming us and asking if their was anything they could do for us. So far, so good. Cut to 3.30PM on Saturday when we arrived at the hotel to check in. The desk staff could not find our reservation, despite the fact that I had brought the printed confirmation I received on booking. The manager was called and there was no record of our reservation. The manager, Alfie, was as shocked as we were that this could happen and he worked hard to get us into another hotel. Our free night at Le Merigot was nice, but it wasn't an oceanfront suite, there were no Cirque tickets and we paid for our own dinner and drinks. Our parking at Shangri La was comped and when we went to collect the car the next morning, Alfie offered us another complimentary night in one of their suites in the future, which will be using.
So, kudos to Alfie and his staff, but no thanks to the central reservation or IT department that lost our reservation and turned a special birthday night into just another night at a hotel.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OzzieinLA
MattBeukelman, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Dear OzzieinLA -

Our sincerest apologies for the mishap with your reservation. I will be looking into this immediately to determine what went wrong on our end.

I hope you will give us another chance to re-earn your loyalty...please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist you personally.

Matt
Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We spent three nights there early in Febuary after our long flight from Australia. It is the third hotel we have stayed in , in Santa Monica and I think the best. We had a lovely suite with a kitchen on the top but one floor. Unfortunately it was noisy as we were adjacent to the lifts and got some traffic noise from the busy street outside. However the overall experience was very good with very pleasant staff particularly at reception. Well located for shopping , restaurants and the beach. We would stay again, but will probably keep trying a few other hotels until we find the "best".

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest if your not used to city life ,like us.