“Luxury across from the beach!”

Hotel Shangri-La Santa Monica
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I had a fabulous stay at the Shangri-la! It was recently written up in our travel section of The Denver Post, and recommended as a place to stay in the Santa Monica area. I was so glad I took the advice of our travel writer, as it was a winner on every level! Clean rooms, comfortable beds, very quiet even though on busy Ocean Avenue (double windows, though you can open them for fresh air), and a wonderful staff. They were very friendly and accommodating in every way. Close walking distance to all the great shops and restaurants in Santa Monica. Wonderful food and drinks at the pool bar and rooftop bar (though quite expensive -- but hey, it's California)! I will definitely stay there again!!

Room Tip: booked through the Shangri-la website
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,221)

Reviewed May 10, 2011

Hotel was recently renovated but kept it's old art deco bones. service was great, rooms were even better (suites are really well thought out with second bedrooms), views of ocean are perfect and walkable to malls and santa monica pier. coolest rootop bar with mellow pool scene. Gym equipment is updated. we used to go to shutters but now we are shangrilla fans!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We loved this hotel....the service was great from the time we walked thru the door to the time we left. We were late checking in and were hungry the resturant was still open and they said we could go there or to suite 700 to order and have it sent there we just went to the resturant, the food was sooo good! They had also offered to open the pool area if we wanted but we declined. Our room was so much better than I had expected. i had read some negative reviews so was a little worried. We were in 414 and it was a deluxe ocean view but it was a corner so we had the ocean straight ahead and the pier to the left. I also didn't know that the room had a seperate tv room, likely because the bed area was cozy, still had a queen bed and two night tables with a long desk and tv and a window viewing area but no table and chair in that part. We put our luggage and stuff in the TV room and sat in there and snacked on our goodies we picked up from the market on Wednesday (it was just behind the hotel and had some really great berries and stuff)
The bathroom was really nice and I loved soaking while seeing the palms outside and my husband liked being able to see the TV from the tub too. Comfy bed and pillows. The location was great, we didn't have a car so we were able to walk everywhere.
Fimally the pool, the lounge chairs are comfortable and not overly crowded the food was again really good and the drinks were yummy, my favorite was the watermelon moijito....I'll have to find that receipe. Overall this is my favorite hotel ever!
I booked this thru a travel site and paid for the deluxe ocean view but when I called the hotel to ask about something else they had to;d me that it was not reserved as an ocean view so they changed it for me, so just an fyi ~ call and double check if you don't book directly thru Shangri La.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We went to California for the 1st time with my daughter and her friend for her 16th birthday and we chose Hotel Shangri-La in Santa Monica for its location. We wanted to be close to LA, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood, 3rd Str Promenade, Santa Monica Pier, etc. and the hotel was close to everything. First, let me start by saying the hotel was very very clean and its cleaning staff payed very close attention to making sure everything was clean and sparkling. With that being said, every person who works there was extremely presonable and friendly and they were extremely sincere when they were trying to assist you especially Bo who works the night shifts. The rooms that we stayed in (1 bedroom with the cuisenette) were delightfully large and the layout was great. If you ever decide to go, pay up and get the Oceanview rooms......definitely worth the scenery !!! Waking up and looking out to see the Pacific is priceless. The only negative thing I could say about the hotel is the prices for the food by the pool and the restaurant were very expensive. Breakfast for 3, one morning was $100 (they automatically include a 18% gratiuty) which I am not a fan of. Sometimes if the waiter/waitress does a great job, I will give more and if I am not happy they will get less, but with the 18%, they might not pay attention since they are getting there tip regardless, but this wasn't the case. The waiter was great. It was just the prices (I think $ 14 for lemon silver dollar pancakes) and they only gave 5 little ones. This is definitely a hotel that I will be going back to and I would highly recommend it !!!!

Room Tip: Get the OCEANVIEW and ask for a higher floor room
3  Thank dad2sam
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We and our two teens stayed in one of the veranda suites. The view from our balcony was unbeatable: glorious view of the Santa Monica Pier to our left, and palm trees, beach and ocean sweeping from there all the way to our right. The hotel's location is supremely convenient to all things L.A. The king size bed and master bedroom were great for us. The kids slept comfortably on the sofa and a roll-away bed in he living room. It was good to have a full kitchen, where we had breakfast every morning. The hotel's pool/hot-tub is in a private, sheltered multi-terraced corner of the hotel's property, surrounded by a bar and cabanas. The restaurant and bar were packed on a Saturday night with young people having a good time. The only thing I would criticize about the hotel is that the outdoor areas and seating (our veranda and the pool area) could use a good hosing down. But our suite and the lobby were clean. Service was friendly and helpful. We would be happy to stay there again!

2  Thank Eva_Carl
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I would like to start off by saying this hotel is very unique and fun! From my understanding it was built in the '30's. One reason I chose this hotel, is for it's wonderful art deco design. They have fused a wonderful combination of old and new. They kept just enough of the art deco design yet enhanced the hotel with modern conveniences and updates. The views in some of the rooms are amazing! We stayed in room 600. Although I think technically it's considered a 1 bedroom suite--it actually has 2 separate bedrooms (each with a door and both with awesome ocean views w/windows that open out). Main bedrm has king, the other has queen. It has a living room area and a gourmet kitchen. Both bedrooms and living room have HD flat screen tvs. The bathroom has a wonderful sunk in tub with hydrojets! Also a shower with a couple of shower heads. The furnishings were modern art deco. The best part---the view! Amazing wrap around views of the ocean from both bedrooms and living room! You can see Santa Monica pier as well! A french door connects you to your balcony where upon they have 2 comfortable lounge chairs and table to soak it all in..All the main windows open outwards..which was really nice to feel the breeze.

When we arrived, they actually had our room reserved for the 1st night by someone else...the front desk reservationist placed us in a downgrade for a lower cost. No view, no extra bedroom (son slept on uncomfortable couch), no gourmet kitchen. Although my husband was happy with the lower cost, I was not. Starting our vacation out with confusion/frustration (after driving and being tired) was not what I bargained for...We were staying for 6 nights so I really wanted the stay to be bliss in the room we had originally booked over a month ago. I decided to call and speak to someone else the next morning. I spoke with a wonderful agent, Corinni. She was very apologetic and placed us in the original room we had booked at the lower rate. So all parties were happy! So, we'd really like to give Corinni credit for making our stay most enjoyable. The rest of our stay was very enjoyable. The staff were very accommodating and helpful with all our needs. Parking is steep though at $33 a night (valet); however I saw several parking garages in the area about a block away that are probably much cheaper.

They have a wonderful pool area with large pool and hottub as well as heat lamps. They have several lounging areas and you can rent semi private tents. It seems to be quite the popular place on the weekends. Upstairs in the penthouse area, they have a wonderful bar/club. The inside is wonderfully decorated with nice lighting. The outside was spectacular views of the ocean and of Santa Monica. They even have an outside area that is surrounding by glass (no roof, just lighting) and a large firepit area--comfy couch seating. Great music and full bar. We stayed almost directly below the club--the only night we could hear music from our room was on Saturday night...and even then it didn't last too long--which was great for sleeping purposes! The hotel caters to the younger crowd on the weekends, but I saw several families staying at the hotel as well.

The hotel offers room service and has a nicely designed downstairs restaurant as well. You can also from many of the great surrounding restaurants that deliver to the hotel as well...many choices! The hotel is walking distance from the Santa Monica pier, the beach and to 3rd Street Promenade (shopping, restaurants, bars and movie theaters). There are several room style choices to choose from..so be mindful of what type of room you really when making reservations.

My 17 year old son, husband and I had a wonderful stay (after the initial night) and would suggest staying at Shangri La Hotel. My only recommendation would be to verify and re-verify your room type before arrival. Also, the rate can vary greatly depending on events, season etc..so look online for the best deals and as early as possible.

1  Thank msbritt
Reviewed April 3, 2011

This hotel was incredible! Really enjoyed my stay here as the room was very comfortable and cosy and the location was perfect. The view from our room was very beautiful and relaxing to look out at the ocean when you wake up! Would stay here again if I ever return to Santa Monica!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple