“"Misleading and Noisy Hotel"” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shutters on the Beach

Shutters on the Beach
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
A TripAdvisor Member
“"Misleading and Noisy Hotel"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2006

I was desperate for quiet and seclusion. Shutters Hotel advertisements give the appearance of an exclusive sanctuary...Far From It!....Our rooms were tastefully appointed, however our view was that of a very busy and noisy public beach parking lot. Lots of cars and SUVs frantically circling for a spot on a busy weekend complete with booming car stereos, car alarms, and intermittant horn honking..Rather unsavory types loitered nearby: visible homeless population and immigrant types. Also, the noise level is unbelievable with an endless diesel truck derby with much spewing of exhaust not far from our balcony/windows...When I called to Front Desk, I was informed that the vehicles were for "vendor deliveries" The city is literally at the beach too. So much for my escape.
There are several hotels in the area that are not as close to the beach, but are above the din...

• Stayed May 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2006

Almost every experience we had was sub-par, except the restaurant. When we arrived at 4:30 p.m., our room was not available. We had to wait another hour before it was ready, and no courtesy was extended while we waited. The car we arraned through the hotel to pick us up at the airport was significantly more expensive than the hotel tolds us it would be. Our room, while ample sized, was right above the boardwalk, noisy from passers-by, and we could hear the hotel's mechanical equipment all night. When we complained in the middle of the night about about the noise, we didn't even get an apology or any consideration later for the inconvenience. The pool area was crowded and most people were shoed away from it at 4 p.m. when the hotel needed to clear out space for an event. This is not the kind of experience one expects when paying $500/night. Our handwritten letter to the manager also went unanswered. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2003
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
LONDON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2006

My husband and I travelled from London to visit Los Angeles and decided to split the 10 days between Shutters On The Beach and then the Four Seasons, or The Mondrian. On advice from friends, we abandoned the idea of staying at The Mondrian - too noisy and 'city' - visiting only for dinner and a drink at the Sky Bar. Our next choice of the Four Seasons was similarly discounted after a preview visit - too corporate - in favour of extending our visit to Shutters. Nothing else compares...There was initially a hiccup on checking in when we were told that we had 'cancelled our booking' a month before. We had brought our confirmation emails from the hotel with us, so it was obvious we had not cancelled. So the situation was quickly remedied by the guest relations manager who handled the situation well and we were shown our room. I had meant to book a full ocean but had only booked a part ocean view. However, it worked out OK as the room was located in one of the quietest areas of the hotel and our view was out over the beach and toward Santa Monica pier and the ferris wheel. What a view! Absolutely stunning day or night. The rooms are not huge but every effort is made to create a holiday/vacation ambience which we really enjoyed. The room service is expensive but the weather was so beautiful we preferred to eat breakfast out in any case ('Back On The Beach' is good). We had Easter lunch at 'One Pico' - excellent service and Simon is a great maitre d'. All the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and went way beyond the call of duty to ensure our stay was pleasurable. We travel a great deal but we have never experienced such amazing service and attention to detail in any hotel. I think, like most staff most places, the team at Shutters respond to courtesy and appreciation from the guests. Our last day was spent at Paradise Cove (a few miles up the coast toward Malibu) watching whales, dolphins, seals and pellicans. A holiday of a lifetime...

• Stayed April 2006
11 Thank TORRAN1
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2006

This is quite possibly my favorite hotel. Like some of the other reviewers, I'm surprised that there are some negative reviews. I've stayed at Shutters a few times, everytime for business but everytime I step into the lobby, I feel like I'm on vacation. And when I get to the room, that feeling is intensified by ten. The rooms are so beautifully decorated, I would describe it as beach cottage. Subtle tones of tans and beiges mixed with blues against pristine white. The bed is super comfortable, bathroom is so lovely with either a fireplace or jetted tub, you're on the winning end no matter what you get. Lovely items included in the decor of the room make it truly warm: books, cd's, movies, I honestly couldn't ask for more. The food, while pricey, is delicious. I would stay at Shutters on my own time on vacation any day and whenever I'm in LA for business, it's my hotel of choice because it makes at least part of the trip feel like a vacation.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank Lark47
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2006

I echo the last reviewer in being shocked by anyone who could be disappointed in this hotel. The staff was terrific, the restaurant was very good, and the rooms are probably the nicest I've ever seen - hardwood floors and oriental rugs with art books on the shelves and beautiful knick knacks. The bathroom was beautiful with great toiletries. The beds were very comfortable and had beautiful linens. The lobby is very inviting - with fireplaces and music in the evening. We were only able to stay 2 nights - but I would go back in a hearbeat!

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2006

I am genuinely surprised to see several negative reviews. I've stayed there for business and for pleasure on at least 6 occasionas since around 1999 or 2000. I travel frequently for business and generally stay at the best available hotel. When going to LA, I always opt for Shutters. The hotel has character and atmosphere, which the bigger, more corporate luxury hotels sorely lack. The rooms are not, in my opinion, small, and they are cheerful and well-appointed. The staff is professional and polished, and the service is excellent. The location is prime. Even when traveling for business, I have felt as if I were on vacation--the hotel creates the feel of an oasis.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
los angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2006

the rooms are small, the hotel is noisy, and everyone smokes by the crowded pool. this place is totally overpriced.

• Stayed August 2005