“Visited for business, would come back for pleasure” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shutters on the Beach

Shutters on the Beach
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Visited for business, would come back for pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

I had business meetings in downtown LA, so interms of getting to and from, that took awhile. However, it was worth the drive. Beautiful views of the pacific ocean and located very close to the Monica Pier. The room decor had a beach elegant look to it and reminded me of my visits to Cape Cod on the east coast. Large whirlpool tub with a view out the window of the ocean was wonderful. My colleagues and I sat out on the terrace where we enjoyed cocktails, which was great except it was timely to get drinks. They were very busy and might have been low staffed that evening. Either way, this property is a must for either business or pleasure because of its location on the beach. I would visit there again!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank bdextravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

My husband took me to Shutters for a very special anniversary, it was a WONDERFUL surprise. We had originally planned to go to Florida, but decided to change our plans so that we could see family in nearby Nevada as part of our trip. I knew (obviously) we were going to Los Angeles, but he wouldn't tell me where our accommodations were, and much to my delight took me back to Shutters. We had stayed at Shutters once previously last fall, and it was a fabulous experience, especially because at that time they went above and beyond to accommodate us. Last fall we checked into Shutters with no notice and no reservations, after having to leave an absolutely horrid, run-down and VERY overpriced hotel on the ocean in Malibu on very short notice, due to the deplorable conditions of our room and the extreme arrogance of the staff. Shutters is SO different from that place: it's just heaven. I love the pampering, it is beyond compare. Our room, just as last year, had the most comfortable beds ever, with the softest sheets and bedding. The magnificent bathroom had a wonderful hot tub and thick lush towels. The concierge made great restaurant and show reservations, making it a very treasured anniversary. Great shopping too as always, I love not being taxed to death as we are in the U.K. when I shop. Thank you to all of the staff - from the front desk to housekeeping to the bell hops - you were friendly, accommodating, and down to earth. We stayed in luxury without being made to feel like we should have to thank them for it. Thank you Shutters for an anniversary we will never forget.

3 Thank Bees_Knees_and_more
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2009

My Fiance and I stayed here to celebrate our engagement. Everything was fantastic, and reflected the laid back style and lack of pretentiousness that are the hallmarks of the LHW brand.

On check in our room was upgraded to an ocean view suite, which was a very pleasant surprise. Some of these suites, although facing the ocean, are situated behind the pool, which overlooks the ocean, as ours was. The rooms are fantastic, with a huge whirlpool tub in addition to the standard shower, a well stocked cabinet of bathroom amenities, like hair care products and bubble bath, all for sale; it's rather like a minibar of things that can't be eaten. The bed and bedding are excellent, and are of course for sale in the catalog provided on the nightstand. There is a sizable flatscreen TV and an iPod dock.

The hotel hosts a happy hour, complete with jazz accompaniment, in the lobby each night. It is a fantastic way to end the day with a view of the ocean just outside.

We ate at the casual restaurant, Coast. The food was quite good overall, and they even seated us when clearly everyone there was getting ready to go home for the night. We had the dungeness crab cakes (Awesome!) and the grilled fish tacos, both of which were quite good, albeit a bit high in price.

This hotel is well situated about 100 meters from the Santa Monica Pier, and a short walk to the 3rd street mall, which has fantastic shopping and restaurants.

There is a Spa onsite that was able to accommodate both of us for a few last minute Swedish massages, again the level and quality of service provided was fantastic.

3 Thank mikediliberto
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2009

The travel agent who booked our honeymoon for us could have got us a cheaper deal at the Beverley Wiltshire and we agreed we'd wished we'd taken it.
The hotel is really nice and the lounge area fab. I particularly liked the themed drinks nights and wine paired menus (Wednesday night is champagne night). Our room was lovely and exactly as in the photos on the website but, since we'd only paid for a basic room thinking we'd be outdoors most of the time, we were in a bit of a dark dingy corner of the hotel on the ground floor over looking a side street. The plumbing is scary - very forceful loos! - and we were woken at 6am by our neighbour above getting ready, big bangs every time water went on or off. We complained and were moved straight away to an apparent, 'upgrade' which was really no better at all. No plumbing issues but we were pleased we hadn't paid more for it. We were on a higher floor and over looked the toilets by the pool!

All in all it was very nice and uncomplicated but not worth the extra money, some of the reception staff were rude, one lady who didn't wear the same uniform as the others so, seemingly, more senior which is scary although one or two of the waiters and waitresses were great.

There's also not many nice places to eat in Santa Monica if you don't stay in the hotel.

A bit of a mixed bag and I'm sure later in the year with better weather it's a great stay but having moved here from the Four Seasons in Maui, we wished we'd stayed at the Beverley Wiltshire.

1 Thank EEY
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

It's hard to know how and where to start

A few random remarks

On arrival by car three people came up to the car. I asked the one in the suit "do you park my car?" His answer.....maybe I had asked someone who had been promoted was a flat "NO". I worked out that he was letting me know he had been promoted and they did park it......$33 for 12 hours !

The room was about 400 sq ft and cost (including tax) close on $800 for one night.....so I was put out when, despite the Hotel literature telling guests that the restaurant is open until 10pm, we were refused a meal at 9.45. I was told that they stop seating people at 9.30.....When I explained that I had been holding on the telephone since 9.25 (I had actually left the phone ringing after 20 minutes when we decided just to go downstairs) the lady in charge simpered a supercillious "Well have a lovely evening" rather than apologise. She made no attempt to offer us , say, a single course or help getting a meal elsewhere. After all she had placed us on hold so as not to have to seat us.

Why had I dialled at all? Because they told us we would need to reserve as it's so busy........a lie............there were only two people in there. Hardly a great atmosphere so maybe we were best served by being rejected.

I went upstairs and brought my phone, still on hold, downstairs. Still no apology.....they got me a cab to another restaurant......at my cost of course.

On checking out I discovered that they had charged me $118 for a poolside snack. Why? Because for a beer and a margarita and some chips and a chicken wrap (horrid and stale, artificial and bland......inedible and mostly left uneaten) at a cost of $50, they had added a 63$ gratuity plus tax. I never usually bother checking but this hotel is such a rip off that I decided once to do so. They deducted $50 as a concession.

Ignore the website photos. The rooms do not really have a balcony. They have an outdoor shelf a single chair wide overlooking a stretch of beach replete with bulldozers and piles of sand being shoved back into a hole, It's like looking at a quarry.

I travel widely and usually first/business class and usually to 5 star hotels. Probably 100 days a year.

This is by a considerable margin the worst staffed and most ridiculous rip off hotel I have ever stayed at. I wish I had stayed at a cheap motel. There you get what you pay for. At Shutters they rely on hype and hisory................It's rubbish. Do not stay there iunless you enjoy being spanked (financially) and ignored.

If you do, check your bill for overcharging.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank nutbank
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

After staying in Palm Springs, where we felt like lepers for traveling with children, we arrived at Shutters and had a great, great experience. Very rare to find a luxurious hotel that is also welcoming to families.

Highlights: A huge bathtub with lots of bath products in a cabinet for purchase, with a TV over the sink so I could have a long, luxurious bubble bath and watch a movie at the same time!

Dinner at Coast (? not sure of the name - the casual restaurant) with a view of the beach. The food was outstanding. The waiter also brought my son a dish of plain pasta with peas, which he devoured so fast he asked for another one.

The lobby is huge, with fireplaces, and nice for relaxing. Everything was immaculately clean, and smelled fresh and new. Room service and maid service were attentive and great. We even had lunches made for the plane ride back, which were packed carefully and delicious.

The location can't be beat - right on the beach in Santa Monica. But rooms were quiet and perfect for sleeping.

The only possible criticism is that the hotel is sprawling and it was sometimes complicated to find the way back to our room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank SGNYC
Newport Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2009

My husband, baby and I live in Newport Beach, but I am an LA native. When we get a chance we like to sneak away to LA for a couple of nights. We have stayed at many of the West LA "beach" hotels and have to say after our latest getaway at Shutters we will become regulars. We enjoyed a relaxing drink on the balcony off the lobby lounge when we arrived Friday night. Saturday we strolled along the boardwalk and Main Street shopping area which is steps away from the hotel. Spent the afternoon by the recently renovated pool area. Had a fabulous dinner at One Pico Saturday night - a little pricey, but worth every penny - great food and great service. I really enjoyed breakfast Sunday morning at Coast. I really felt like we were on vacation far from home - not just 50 miles!! The hotel room was spacious and very clean. It felt like we were at a beach cottage - very quiet, very bright and very romantic. We loved the proximity to shopping and other restaurants. we didnt need our car until we were ready to head home.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple