Shutters on the Beach
$413
$399
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$189
Hotels.com
$220
$143
ComfortInn
Viceroy Santa Monica(Santa Monica)
$531
$525
$479
  • Beachfront
1,717 results
All reviewscoast restaurantpico restaurantbeach houseroom servicesister hotelbeautiful hotelsanta monica beachcasa del marpool areafour seasonsfull ocean viewliving roomlos angelesocean frontluxury hotellobby barbeverly hills
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Shutters had been described to me as like a Ralph Lauren beach house. I think that is what it would like to be, and staff certainly behave as though that is what it is. However, I don't think it even comes close. Rooms are quite nicely decorated. Food is quite good but not in any way exceptional. There is a nice sun deck and quite a nice pool. Irritatingly, the hotel has a small part at the front, with the bulk of the accommodation at the back. You therefore have to spend a lot of time in elevators crossing between the two buildings.
Clearly, the recession has had an impact on staff levels. As an example, receptionists double as concierge, which does not really work.
Shutters probably suits families with youngish children, but is not suitable for the more discerning traveller. I think it is very expensive for what it is, although we were the beneficiaries of a "stay three nights, pay for two" offer.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bigal57
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Excellent location, you are literally on the beach and a 5 minute walk from Santa Monica Pier.
But the road is noisy, the rooms (whilst excellently decorated and furnished) are small and some of the staff have somewhat of an attitude problem. Perhaps they are only polite if you happen to be a celebrity.
So if you want to be as close to the beach as you can and don't mind the road (we ended up moving to a room overlooking the pool) or the somewhat pricy tariff then Shutters is for you.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katkin1965
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and must admit that didn't want to leave. I wanted to see Santa Monica and felt sorry for going out all the time instead of staying in and enjoying my beautiful room. Although I didn't have sea view, everything in that room was so carefully chosen and elegant that it did not matter. The bed was fantastic and all the amenities offered were very classy. I did pay $450 (tax was not included) per night with no breakfast which was ouch! However, if I could afford it, I would definitely go there again because it was worth every penny of it. I just can't forget it!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I recently stayed two nights at Shutters on the Beach following a business trip to the area. I was impressed in so many ways with this unique hotel. My guestroom was beautifully appointed, overlooked the ocean, and was filled with high quality amenities, the most luxurious robe, and fresh flowers. I relaxed the minute I entered my room and stayed that way throughout. The hotel staff was also exceptional. Each person I encountered, from my housekeeper to my breakfast server, took such pride and ownership in their job. They were the nicest people and were all delightful. Thank you for a wonderful two-day vacation, Shutters on the Beach! I promise, I will be back!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank Kat777999
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I travel worldwide for business and typically stay in luxury properties. Shutters tops my list and always feels like a mini-vacation at the end of hectic work day. Shutters pulls off what very few hotels are capable of delivering: pampering luxury and excellent service while feeling cozy and homey. It's no wonder that Hollywood's A-listers pepper the lobby and occupy the ocean-view suites. They sit relaxed in the living-room style lobby, and you'll find yourself sipping a glass of wine next to John Cusack or Keefer Sutherland (two recent experiences of mine) without anyone uncomortably gawking at or bothering either of you.

The beach-house feel to the rooms makes you feel like you're at your own beach cottage on the California coast, with top notch room appointments, and a comfort level I've found in few hotel rooms throughout the country. From the linens, to the bathrooms everything is spot on and, again, simple but classy.

The restaurant, One Pico, is also one of my favorites in Los Angeles, particularly since the recent rennovations and wine list improvement. While I'm always headed out the door of most hotels I stay in so that I can find a good restaurant, I always tend to stay in at Shutters and eat at One Pico. If you're an oenophile like me, you'll find the wine selection is eclectic, interesting and very well organized, and really a value compared to most luxury hotel wine lists. You'll find yourself discovering new selections from coastal regions of Europe, or trying an affordable gem from Napa, all paired with really excellent , fresh and unfussy cuisine. And the pastry chef's donut dessert is simply otherworldly.

To me, it just seems that everything Shutters does is designed to deliver class and sophistication, not gaudiness, flash or tacky flamboyance. I can't recommend the hotel enough.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business