Shutters on the Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Casa del Mar(Santa Monica)
Seaview Hotel(Santa Monica)
View Hotel
Viceroy Santa Monica(Santa Monica)
Bayside Hotel(Santa Monica)
  • Pool
Sea Blue Hotel(Santa Monica)
  • Beachfront
Ocean Lodge Hotel(Santa Monica)
1,717 results
All reviewscoast restaurantpico restaurantbeach houseroom servicesister hotelbeautiful hotelsanta monica beachcasa del marpool areafour seasonsfull ocean viewliving roomlos angelesocean frontluxury hotellobby barbeverly hills
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is an amazing property with so much to offer! The rooms are decorated as if you were in your own personal cottage on the beach. I didn't want to leave! Breakfast at the hotel is a must too. We went as a couples getaway but will be back with the kids because there was so much to do for all of us. Within walking distance to Santa Monica pier and bike rentals.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view and you can also see the lit up ferris wheel on Santa Monica pier.
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Shutters on the Beach is an opulent secret I almost don't want to share with you, for fear of never being able to secure a reservation after the rest of you experience her luxurious mystique.

She has the best concierge staff on the west coast and outstanding attentive butlers on the beach, who will serve you a succulent picnic in the Santa Monica open air made especially for you by the house Chef.

Enjoy your evening libation on the balcony with premier views of the Santa Monica Pier at night and ease into the complimentary turn down that makes you want to ask to ask house service to tuck you in for the night.

Sink in to the most comfortable beds with your balcony shutters open to allow the ocean air and waves to lull you to sleep.

Waking up to the beach and walking on hardwood floors peaking out from under custom rugs makes me step back in time and wonder what she was like in her prime, because she can't be outdone in today's world.

Allow yourself time to enjoy the spa and sample the fare from Coast or One Pico.

No worries or disappointments in Shutter's world.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Right on the beach. Beautiful place. Get pampered. Incredible room.
Exquisite food. Go for the lobster BLT. Ride a bike at the beach. Go for a stroll. Just enjoy life.
Downside was abusive valet car park prices.
But still an amazing stay. Like no other.

1  Thank The_Vargian
Reviewed October 30, 2013

A quaint and perfectly manicured beach style hotel. Nice location and the rooms, while small-ish, do feature everything you could need. The parking valet at times can be quite busy, but if managed in advance all is good. The food in each restaurant is fantastic. This said, don't forget the credit card when coming to Shutters, this place redefines spendy and while well worth it, it does sting a little.

1  Thank Adam P
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Spent a couple of nights at Shutters for a conference. This was my first time staying there and was surprised that it wasn't included (to my knowledge) in the AAA Diamond rating system. There are some definite pluses about this place (and a few cons) and I would definite recommend staying here if you are wanting to experience a really nice taste of L.A. by the beach. Here is my detailed review of the place.
Location/Hotel: Located right on along the beach, less than half a mild from the pier. GPS lead me right to it, but I still missed the hotel entrance. I was expecting a grand entrance and was surprised to find a small (very small) circular driveway. Valet seemed to be the only option so I pulled up. Lobby was very nice and checkin was a short walk from the driveway. The hotel is situated on both sides of the street and is connected by an overpass. One of the biggest downside to this hotel is the confusing layout. I did not find out if there was a specific ways the rooms were laid out, but you may have to go up multiple elevators or stairs (up and down) to get to your room. I actually had to escort one of our elderly guests because she didn't remember which stairs to take to get to her room. Second of all, I believe that a very low percentage of the rooms had actual ocean view. Because of the way the rooms were set up, some of the rooms appeared to be hidden behind different structures. However, I love the location and took advantage of it by waking up and going for a run along the beach. Venice pier is 1 mile away and the bike and jogging paths were awesome. Lots of restaurants to eat nearby.
Service: I thought it was actually pretty good. Checkin was a breeze and the receptions offered to walk me to my room (since it was "confusing" to get to). The service we received for our event was good as well. Food service went smoothly. Valet was prompt (as long as you called in advance). I left my toothbrush at home. Within 5 mins of calling, I had one sent to my room. The hotel was also very clean throughout. At 6am, they were washing down the deck by the pool. Fitness facility was well stock and clean. I didn't utilize room service so can't comment. All in all, I was pretty satisfied. Nothing stood out to make it a 5 diamond, but definitely at least a 4.
Room: The set up reminded me of cape cod. Very nicely decorated rooms and followed the vibe of the hotel really well. First, the bathroom I was impressed with. I had a standard room (I think) and it came with both a jacuzzi tub and separate shower. Towels were plentiful (including beach/pool towel). There was also a unique cupboard that had other amenities that you could purchase (razor, sunscreen, and other lotions). The entertainment bookcase had actual books, a nice Bose System (that actually charges your phone), a DVD player, and a couple of kids things (juggling ball and yo-yo). TV was good size and easy to use. The Chair there had too many pillows and was not really appealing to sit in. The desk had a keurig, cordless phone, and lots of outlets for charging. I thought the bed was really comfy. Had a pillowtop down but then there was a firm mattress below. Great night sleep. There was also my bedroom slippers laid out. My room was on the 3rd floor but was street level. Noise level wasn't bad. A tad of a pain to get to from the lobby, but once I found the shortcut, it wasn't too bad. The room was on the smaller side, but the bathroom was decent. If I had to compare, the room setup was similar to another hotel that we visited in Del Mar (L'Auberge). However, the rooms here totally blows that resort out of the water. I would give it a 4/5
Amenities: I did not utilize the restaurants but they looked nice. The pool looked very invitiing. Lots of lounge chairs set up with amazing view of the ocean. No cabana (too small a space). They offer food service pool side. Work out room was nice. Had about 5 treadmills and 3-4 elipticals. They had some interesting weight machines. Only free weights were dumbbells (up to 50-60lbs). I did not utilize the spa.

All in all, a great hotel with a great location. It feels intimate and not large and expansive. I think it is a perfect getaway. Not really kids friendly (so think ahead). Not quite 5 diamonds (service would need to be over the top) but definitely one to check out.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business