“Pacific paradise”

Shutters on the Beach
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I love the simple elegance of Shutter's rooms. To walk into and see the ocean is just captivating. The beds are incredibly comfortable and cozy with layers of fine linens. The spacious jacuzzi bathroom - ocean visible from tub, with separate toilet and terrific shower is wonderful. The pool is beautiful - and the cold pitchers of water with citrus or cucumbers are a nice touch. Personnel are extremely friendly and accommodating and in fact during one visit housekeeping accidentally threw away some of my products and management quickly replaced. I love this spot!

Room Tip: Go for at least partial ocean view!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,692)

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Beautiful property from the moment you drive up front - I was struck by the beauty of the hotel, the palm fronds swaying, the shutters, beautiful shutters everywhere - all in white....
We had dinner reservations, gorgeous room, started off with cocktails that were superb and dove into the menu. After a day at the beach we wanted to treat our hostess to a lovely dinner and she chose the restaurant at Shutters - our meal was great but the vibe of the restaurant, wonderful conversation and a fun waiter made the night for us!

Me and my family hope to stay there next time we're in the LA area, too nice to pass up!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Spending well over 1000$ a day on room and overpriced drinks and they still dare to charge an outrageaous 30$ per uncomfortable seat and a bit of shade on the beach! They must have earned back the cost of a 50$ chair hundreds of times. Come on folks make it more accesible and take the money on service and drinks and food instead!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank MFM333
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Cool ambiance, comfortable rooms but not sure it´s worth the price. The personnel was very nice but not too attentive. We were only for a couple of days so worth visiting again to gain more experience.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marin Y
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent last week at The Shutters in Santa Monica. The room was adequate with a partial view of the ocean and entrance. Easy walking distance to the Santa Monica Pier and the Promenade which makes the location excellent. King sized bed was a little higher than standard and I'm 6' tall. Shower was hard to get in and out of as it is a combination jacuzzi and shower. The oversized shower head was dead center in the middle of the tub which was weird for us. Room service? Bring your money! $60 for one burger, order of fries, three cookies, and a bowl of berries! Had a snack in The Coast. Two pieces of cake with ice cream was $25. Bought a T-shirt in Gift Shop - $60. If you walk to the pier, you'll save a ton of money. Same if you walk to Promenade. We'll go back to Santa Monica but won't spend the money to stay at The Shutters. The service was above excellent but cost is way too high.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My teen aged son and I went to Shutters for a mother and son weekend. We stayed only two nights but by the time we returned, we were both so relaxed, it was as though we had been on vacation for a month.

The service at Shutters is truly outstanding---and it's true what everyone says about the bedrooms---they combine luxury and homeyness in an extraordinary way. The patio was delightful---great for mornings when one of us woke up earlier than the other. This is a true destination hotel---unless you're going to Malibu or somewhere similarly lovely---leaving the hotel seems a shame.

It was too cold to use the pool but we still enjoyed the chaise longues around the pool very much. We will be back !!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have been staying at Shutters regularly for the past 15 years. I was once its biggest fan and have sent literally hundreds of people here as well as hosted business meeting here. However, while I tried at first to overlook slowly increasing problems, they are now adding up to the point that my current stay (I am at Shutters now) may be my last.
The location is, of course, superb and the decor in the rooms (hardwood floors, nice New England-ish beach decor) rightly celebrated but this feels like a property that the owners are treating as a cash cow and to which they are not providing either the maintenance or the service that is needed.
There are lots of examples of deferred maintenance in the rooms and the amenities have not kept up with the times--the showerheads are small and old, there is no handheld shower, there are bits of rust and damage around the shower walls and so forth. Other parts of the room are similarly not up to current top-hotel standards--small stains on the robes, tubs and sinks showing their age with repair caulking in evidence. Hall carpets are a bit old and there are parts of the wall paper that are peeling--not huge and no big deal for a lesser hotel, but not ok in what purports to be a first class hotel.
But the slip in service is also striking. I have sat in the lobby in the afternoons and listened to angry customer after angry customer ask why they can't check in when it is after 4--I feel very sorry for the front desk staff, but why don't they hire an extra cleaning crew or two to start cleaning rooms right when people vacate--angry people waiting til after check in to check in is a bad first impression and an unnecessary one. Maid service used to be prompt but now I sometimes have to call after 4pm to ask if someone will be cleaning my room.

There are some exceptions--the most senior man who staffs the pull-in area is an icon--remembers one's name even when it has been a year and provides unfailingly polite service. And the location is good. But if I'm going to spend $800 a night before taxes, I think it is fair to expect owners to act like they care about the place as much as its cash flow.

Room Tip: rooms that end in 30 are terrible--the balconies ajoin open windows in the hallways so anyone can ea...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank TravelingExec53
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Hello TravelingExec53,

Thank you for your continued years as a customer. I've reviewed your comment and I'm truly sorry for the mishaps that you have experienced here at Shutters on the Beach. Your review about our rooms and maintenance have truly been noted and I will use them to improve the experience for all of our future guest.

Gregory Day, General Manager