Shutters on the Beach
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
$349
  • Beachfront
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$199
$496
$451
Hotels.com
$312
$249
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
Travelodge Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$199
Fairmont.com
Shore Hotel(Santa Monica)
$369
  • Beachfront
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel(Santa Monica)
$578
$475
The Ambrose(Santa Monica)
$289
$266
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
1,730 results
All reviewscoast restaurantpico restaurantbeach houseroom servicesister hotelbeautiful hotelsanta monica beachcasa del marpool areafour seasonsfull ocean viewliving roomlos angelesocean frontluxury hotellobby barbeverly hills
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I were booked 2 nights in this hotel by our company who flew us out for interviews. This is a truly beautiful hotel. We loved the room and the elegant but understated decor. Sitting out on the deck is fantastic and in the cold months the staff keeps a cozy fire going indoors. We thought the staff were polite and helpful. I think the best thing about this hotel is the mood. It feels like you are escaping to a charming beach house for a weekend getaway. We live in Venice now but we have returned to Shutters a few times to enjoys a glass of wine on the porch. We love this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2013

1. Jog along the beach and imagine living on some of those condos. Use the mile markers along the way so you can accurately brag about how far you went.
2. Restore those calories you just burned with the 'Bull’s-Eye Skillet' at Coast.
3. Cool off from your morning jog with a quick dip in the pool.
4. Open the shutters in your room, draw a bubble bath, and take a selfie to post on Facebook.
5. Don't lie on the bed until you have to, as it induces instant sleepiness.
6. Head to the lobby to eavesdrop on ad execs while waiting for the rest of your group.
7. Watch the valet pros masterfully juggle the cars on the small circular driveway.
8. Be sure to stop at Jamba Juice before you get on the highway.
9. Upon your return, go next door to Casa Del Mar for drinks among the ad folks.
10. Then, haughtily head back to your quiet room and be glad you’re staying at Shutters.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Keith R
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Have stayed at Shutters every tie I've been to Santa Monica
Yes it;s not the cheapest - however, the quality of the setting, the staff and the dining is Simply The Best
A must !
You are literally on the beach, however, at a higher level, which, with the pol area in front of the rooms, sets you back perfectly

Room Tip: Go for a Partial Ocean View !
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I live in Santa Monica and one of my favorite hang outs on a beautiful day is Shutters Balcony. I love to sit there and have a glass of wine and Lunch. The wine selection is excellent and the hamburger is very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We LOVE The Shutters, and have stayed in the past, but this time was just ok, but with what we think were bed bugs to boot.

We'd requested an early check in (on a Wednesday) but they were unable to accommodate that. No problem. We figured we'd grab lunch on the patio overlooking the beach. We were having a 2pm late lunch, complete with wine, etc, and gave the service about a 2 out of 10 score. The waiter was basically nonexistent, for ordering, filling water, reordering wine, and then to drop our check.

Our room was I think one of the best in the property. Pano ocean view, 6th floor, really nice. It did show some serious wear (chipping wood floors, etc) but I kind of understand that might contribute to the beach chic vibe. If I were paying full price (which I was not because we had a certificate which gave us a discounted rate), then I'd have been more discriminating.

Room service for breakfast was great! Service at the pool later that day for lunch was not great. It was an overcast day. Maybe 4 groups at the pool. We counted at least 3 people on staff for pool service, and yet we couldn't get anyone to help us order lunch, wine, iced tea...nothing. If the waiters had made rounds to the 4 groups there about every 20 minutes they'd have probably sold us another bottle of wine, had other people ordering food and drinks, but they seemed happier hanging out in their little cabana kitchen area.

Oh...and later that day both my husband and I started showing small bite marks all over our bodies. There were no mosquitos in the pool area, and we didn't go down to the sand, so all I can guess is bed bugs (which when I searched online was pretty sure that's what we had).

I called the manager the next day, was very nice in my explanation, and she said she'd call me back after checking our room out, but that she thought that it could be fleas instead of bed bugs. Not sure that's "better", but if that's what they want to tell themselves. Never received a call back from her by the way.

Overall not impressed with this stay. We have loved it in the past, so I hope that we can love it again in the future, but I think they need to overhaul their service and room condition and cleanliness if they want to remain one of Santa Monica's top hotels. I hope they do.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lori S
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Hi Lori D,

We appreciate that you decided to stay with us again and that you took the time to write such a detailed comment. I have looked over your comment and want to apologize for your recent stay. I have taken note on the waiter service, your issues with the bed and the pool staff. I’ll personally take it upon myself to look into all of these shortcomings and use them to make a better experience for all of our guest.

Gregory Day, General Manager