“Great spot -- but worth the money?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shutters on the Beach

Shutters on the Beach
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Santa Monica
nc
“Great spot -- but worth the money?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife and i stayed here in early November for a few days visiting friends going to the Breeders Cup. Our first visit to Santa Monica. Shutters is certainly a very nice spot. Great location. Great facility and decent service. While the rooms are nicely done with a cottage/homey feel, they are quite small -- at least ours was. So while it is no doubt a very nice spot, I'm not sure its worth the price. I'm not an expert on the local hotel rates etc, but that's just my opinion from staying at luxury spots all over US. One thing that i found annoying -- the bar area in the main lobby was a zoo and very loud the couple of days we were there. It's very nice, but you can hardly have a conversation. Overall -- it's a wonderful spot and a great location -- nice, but small room, and perhaps a bit pricey for what it is.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank travel_wm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We love this hotel. A little more cost but the location, service and amenities are exceptional. We have been here three times and would like to go more ! The pool and beach are really very nice and the restaurants are perfect for lazy lunches and laid back cocktails while you watch the sun go down.
Extra cost is worth it. Total recommend this hotel !

Room Tip: Every room is good - but you have to ask for an ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

i have been a fan for many years but this visit was not up to scratch
OK here are the gripes
checking in was awful and unhelpful ..........no assistance offered whatsoever..........inexcusable !!!!!!!!
checking out bell service was poor as they pandered to sports stars departing and service was paralyzed without informing clients of delays
mark down one star
didnt like my room on 2 nd floor but only paid $600 so what can one expect !!
mark down the second star
here are the pluses........... and the pluses are good
location fabulous
staff generally are great
good care and attention to detail
lovely bed , linen and amenities
i would return , but i was disappointed by this visit ..........i would not return if they behaved simlarly a second time

Room Tip: avoid staying on the second floor ............poor light , noisy and no views ...........it makes t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank geoffreymargolis
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The location could not be better, and great views when not foggy. Overall though the hotel is not what it purports to be. We thought the rooms were basic and not welcoming. The bed was way too hard, and we found stains on the bedspread of a dubious origin. We also found it annoying how far we would have to walk to get to our room, it was a workout. With all that said though, the staff were always friendly and trying their best to please. We also very much enjoyed the Coast Restaurant, where the meals truly were superb. This is a nice hotel but not worth the price in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you don't have to walk for miles.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Leslie A
Madison Wi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent 12 days at the Shutters in October. The location is excellent, the pool was outstanding and housekeeping did an outstanding job maintaining the cleanliness of the rooms. The Monday night specials at the Coast Restaurant were very good and Jesse was very helpful and pleasant to talk to. Also, there was a young lady working at the pool each day it was opened, that I thought was personable and did an outstanding job even though we never ordered anything from the pool bar/grill. The majority of staff were very friendly and helpful.

My biggest disappointment was with the room. There is a wall with built-in shelves filled with books. However, the space in my opinion could have been more functional to store items especially when you are there for an extended stay. Also, there were six or seven pillows on each bed. Each night you had to find a place for the unused pillows. The Keurig coffee pot had to be stored every night because there was no room for it. Also, I hate the single server coffee pots. Nightly the turn down service asked if you need more bottled water or ice. However, if you wanted ice before they showed up, it did not say where you could get it. Also, each night we would close the window between the bathroom and the bedroom. It must be on the maid's checklist because each day the maid reopened the window.

The front entrance is a mess. The hotel I believe only has valet service so there are constantly cars there, but if you walk out the front entrance you either weave through the cars that are jockeyed around or you walk out the side on a very narrow and hazardous sidewalk. My biggest disappointment at the Shutters was the other guests. We spent a considerable amount of time at the pool and heard some strange comments/requests from other guests directed at the staff. If you want Tuna salad, then you should order Tuna salad. If you order Tuna and get Tuna, but you wanted Tuna salad then should admit your mistake and pay for the Tuna. There were a number of other situations where it just seemed unreasonable demands were placed on the staff, but staff responded in a courteous and accommodating manor. Others would probably look at this as a definite positive, but it made me uncomfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Islandtraveler
Ithaca, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Having heard rave reviews of Shutters for years we decided to try it when visiting family in LA. Upon check-in (we arrived an hour before the stated check-in time) we were told our room was not ready. When I asked when it will be, a surly person at the check-in desk replied "ITS BEFORE CHECK IN TIME, IT’S NOT READY!" I reiterated my question and was told "it is being turned over" I asked how long that takes and was then told "Engineering is in the room." Having travelled a fair bit this was of concern to me as I did not want a recurring issue. When I asked why engineering was in the room I was told "It is not your business, you arrived before check-in time, I will let you know when the room is ready, are you finished?!" Taken aback we walked away to sit by the gorgeous bar and enjoy the view of the pacific. A few minutes later we were told the room was ready, and "I HOPE it was important and you really needed to get into the room" when handed our keys....a very sour note to start off a $600/night stay.

The room was great. However, not sound proofed and you could hear all the street noise (motor cycles, garbage trucks, horns 24/hrs. a day) ask for an interior room.

The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever, I repeat, ever, slept on! Kudos!

Other than the rude gentleman at check-in the staff (especially at Coast for breakfast) was just wonderful. Friendly, anticipating needs and always there to help.

The pool, well we were there in November, had no towels out for guests. If not for a helpful maid who walked by and offered us some it would have been quite chilly. Not a 5 star experience.

Other reviews have said that unless you are someone famous the staff treats you as a second class citizen, had I only interacted with the one person at the front desk I'd agree, however the rest of the staff nearly made up for it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LuxHappy
GregoryDay, General Manager at Shutters on the Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear LuxHappy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and for bringing your encounter at the front desk to my attention. The behavior of our front desk agent was most certainly uncalled for and inappropriate, and I want to extend my sincere apologies for the way you were treated. Rest assured I will address this issue with our employees to reinforce the importance of resolving guest inconveniences in a polite and respectful manner. That being said I hope this experience will not deter you from future visits to Shutters on the Beach.

Kindly,
Gregory Day
General Manager, Shutters on the Beach
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

i enjoyed the decor, position and views, but was annoyed at how far we had to walk to get to our room, we had to change lifts and walk around the entire hotel each time we needed to get access to our room and overall i felt it was overpriced for what we had....pity as its such a good spot, but needs to be more user friendly..........

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple