“Nice, relaxing stay”

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Santa Maria
Fountain Valley, California
“Nice, relaxing stay”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed at the Radisson Santa Maria on Saturday, September 8th. My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and wanted somewhere between Solvang and Pismo Beach where we could stay and relax...and this property was perfect. We were in a corner suite with a private patio, overlooking the pool. Our room was clean and well-stocked. The front desk staff was courteous and very efficient. The property has everything including a restaurant, bar, pool, jacuzzi, etc. The Sunday brunch was amazing! All in all, I would recommend this property to anyone looking for a nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Family trip (7 of us) to the Oceano Beach dunes, we were lucky to get a couple of rooms here at the very last minute on Saturday evening of Labor Day. Very nice rooms, very clean and sleep number beds are very comfortable; you will get a very good night sleep. The hotel has ample parking, very helpful staff and quiet surroundings being so far from the freeway and traffic. Nice restaurant with large model airplanes hanging from the ceiling – nice touch for being next to an airport. The hotel is a bit out of the way, but it’s close to a large shopping area with lots of stores and restaurants. Didn’t take pictures except of a Cessna taking off early in the morning right outside the window. I would recommend this hotel if you want an alternative to the cheap motels and need a nice, comfortable place to rest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to the runway if you or your kids like airplanes.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Last minute trip late at night needed a room. We are Carlson Club members so thought I would use some of my points and cash. The carpets in room and hallways were dirty and stained, ice machine did not work (however a nice employee brought me some), there was a medium sized tear in the drapes. Was not what I expected. Employees were all very nice. Would not return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
JLG174, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Santa Maria, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologize that we did not meet your standards and that you were not 100% satisfied during your stay. We strive for excellence here at the Radisson Hotel in Santa Maria and I assure you these issues have been addressed with management and staff. However ,I am happy to hear our staff was able to provide you with great customer service and that they were able to accommodate your needs. Thank you again and, I am hoping that at some point in the near future you may see fit to give us another try. We are confident that your experience and impressions will be improved upon.
Carmel, California
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I found this hotel, because it was close to my son's go kart track. We stayed here two consecutive week one night each. The location for us was very convenient.
We ended up getting the same room both times, that was room 301. This particular room was somewhat smaller, than expected, but had all the amenities as other hotels, and since we stayed only one night, it was not an issue. The room and bathroom was very clean. I liked the linen and comforter. One of the beds ( we had two queens) was a little bit too firm for my shoulders.
The atrium and it's decoration is nice (airplanes). We had only breakfasts in the restaurant. Typical American breakfast with decent selection. No complaints. Plenty of parking places, that was important for us, since we drove a truck with a trailer.

Although the hotel is next to the local airport, it was very quiet.

The only complaints I would have is that second time I needed a two nights stay (Thursday and Friday) and an extra room for Friday, but the hotel was fully booked two days before arrival for Friday. I had to book two rooms in Travelodge for Friday, that was only $10 cheaper but a lot farther. When I checked out from Radisson, the receptionist lady (who was very nice) said that they had 17 rooms available for Friday night... all cancellation. I paid Travelodge fully in advance, so I couldn't cancel it. I know it is not Radisson's fault, but somebody should think about a reservation system that addresses this issue. Maybe by offering waiting lists or a priority reservation by full non refundable advance payment. Just a suggestion...
I recommend this hotel...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
JLG174, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Santa Maria, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you Susie for such a great review! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our accommodations suited you well. we appreciate your comments are they have been noted. Thank you again for choosing the Radisson Hotel in Santa Maria, we hope to see you back soon!
Berkeley, California
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed here on a fluke driving home from Santa Barbara - got tired somewhere around Santa Maria and chose to stop here for the night. Had our two poms with us and we got to bring them here with us for a little extra - so that's always great. I liked the overall look of the place and our room was big, clean, and had a giant oh so comfortable king sleep number bed - loved it! With a little discount cost around $130 total which is a great deal for what we got. In the morning, hung out at the pool and also ate breakfast. Chose to order from the menu vs. the buffet and was very happy with my lox bagel and tried some of my hubby's omellete which was also great. There is an airport nearby but I didn't even notice it, and I'm big on being annoyed (and leaving) noisy hotels with thin walls. If I ever happen to go back to Santa Maria will stay here again. We also found a great dog park close by that the poms loved, so would definitely recommend this place if traveling with pets - or without!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
JLG174, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Santa Maria, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you so much for writing such a great review on our hotel! I am happy to learn that you were satisfied with your accommodations and that you and your poms were able to experience Santa Maria's beautiful weather at the local park. We appreciate your kind words and we hope to see you when your travels bring you back to the area!
Haugesund, Norway
Reviewed August 11, 2012

As always, we choose our hotels from favourable guest reviews, which we, this far, consider reliable. The Radisson Hotel Santa Maria was one of them.

Our family (2 adults and 2 kids) needed a one night stay on our way from San Francisco to L.A., and we found this hotel great value for money. It was a great hotel too, offering what we needed. A hotel of very good standard.

The location is not for everyone. The nearest "neighbor" is an airport, providing local air transport (passenger and cargo) to LA. The aircrafts generated noise, as aircrafts normally do, but we were aware of the location before we booked, and it was not a problem, because there was no air traffic at night (midnight to 6AM). Having a room facing the airport, it was quite fascinating watching the planes, and later going to bed and watching the array of blue lights from the runway outside.

The room itself was of very good standard, and the beds were very good. The check-in and check-out was hassle free, and we felt very welcome.

The only negative experience we had, was dinner. My wife and I had our 21st wedding anniversary, and chose the hotel's "best" restaurant for the event. The staff seemed a bit confused, and sometimes forgot which table they were serving. Overlapping is a good thing, but the communication between the ordertaker and the person who was actually serving was not good enough. Besides, my wife ordered her steak a well done, but got it medium. She explained to the waitress that she'd ordered her steak well done, and the waitress promptly offered to bring her a new one. Problem was, it took a lot of time, and by the time she got it, the rest of us had finished our meal. Not acceptable, as there were not a lot of guests in the restaurant during our meal. Wake up, guys!

As for location, one more thing: If you want to find shops or restaurants in the area, you'll probably be needing a car.

Still, our verdict is very positive, and we would choose the same hotel again, at least if it were for just a day or two. The hotel had a swimming pool. For more than two days, we would have considered a hotel nearer to shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: This hotel is situated along an airport. Aircrafts make noise. If this is a big problem, choose anot...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TVTravelerHaugesund
JLG174, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Santa Maria, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel! We are thrilled you enjoyed our newly renovated property and that our accommodations suited your needs. However I regret to hear that our restaurant did not meet your expectations, you're concerns have been noted and will be addressed with management.

Thank you again for choosing the Radisson Hotel in Santa Maria, and we look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to the area!
Los Banos, California
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Last minute travels led us to this hotel. Front desk people were nice. Gave us a smelly handicap room which we ended up moving since we were not handicap.They moved us into a non smoking room. We walked into a very stinky room that obviously someone smoked in. The shower granite had a hole, the bathroom metal door frame was rusted, the carpets were stained as well as the couches. We disinfected the room ourselves. The A/C seem to never cool the room so we slept with the window open. We were literaly next to the airport. Planes took off & landed and we heard them all. We wasted $200.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank J R
JLG174, Sales and Catering Coordinator at Radisson Hotel Santa Maria, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Hi JR from Los Banos! We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We appreciate your honest comments. Each issue you have brought to our attention is very important to us and will be addressed. We would like to give you a complimentary upgrade for your next stay. Please contact me, Audrey Smith, for additional services. Thank you and have a great week!
Phone: 805-928-8000 ext 5793