“Great place to stay, just don't eat breakfast here.”

The Historic Santa Maria Inn
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Santa Maria
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed in a beautiful, large room in the tower for only 99.00 over Veteran's Day. Everyone on staff was very friendly. The hotel is clean and comfortable and has a great location for seeing this part of the Central Coast. Don't bother with the Garden Room restaurant - not very good food offered at the breakfast buffet and very understaffed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, but are sorry to hear that you weren't happy with your breakfast experience. We will make sure to address your concerns with our Chef and restaurant manager.
We do hope to see you again and we hope that you will try The Garden Room again!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Found this gem of a hotel by pure chance on our travels from South to North California. We were given a large, comfortable room with marbled on-suite bathroom in the old, full of character, historic part of the hotel. The window looked out onto the most beautiful garden with waterfall, heated swimming pool and Jacuzzi, which was amazing as we were able to swim late October! We ended up staying 2 nights then travelling North and returning and staying again on our way back to LA! The food choices, presentation and delicious flavours in the restaurant were the BEST we experienced travelling through California, Nevada and Arizona! Staff were all lovely and so helpful. Unfortunately we do not live closer to experience The Santa Maria Inn more often (live in Scotland, UK)! I have recommended to US family to give it a visit though! On our next trip to the US we will definitely be spending more time here as it is a lovely interesting little town with lots of Museums and is also a good base for the more expensive Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: Take a room in the old part of hotel- garden views are gorgeous, also quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

What are wonderfully detailed review of our hotel! Thank you so much! We are so glad that you had such lovely experiences with us! We appreciate all the positive comments and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in California!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We drove down from San Francisco and decided to go back to the Santa Maria Inn. Although we had pre-paid through a service - at check-in we were offered our choice of which side we preferred. (There is an old and a new side) So we chose to stay in the old side since we had stayed for months in the new side and we were very happy with the upgraded room that lives up to expectations. The reason for the five stars, however, is because of the staff, which is uncomparable. The folks at the Santa Maria Inn treat you very well, offer every possible bit of help to make you feel welcome and everything falls right into place. You will get a newspaper every morning and the shampoo, conditioner, make-up remover pad, and hair cover are replaced every day. This is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Either side is fine - we actually had a larger room on the new side so that might be worth checking...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Wow! What a fantastic review of our hotel! Thank you so much for the very detailed experience you had!
We have amazing staff and they do a great job! It helps that our staff wants to make sure that every guest has the best experience and stay with us from beginning to end! We are so blessed to have our staff, without them, we would be just another hotel, but they elevate us to another level.

We thank you for this review, you've really made our day and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stay here every time I come to town as my mother lives in Santa Maria. It is a small town, close to a lot of great wineries but cheaper than some of the lodging in other areas. The Santa Maria Inn has the old 'Historic' side which is just that. Old, and historic. And cold. very cold. But always a great rate and nice staff, so I book it and bring a sweatshirt. They also have an upgraded newer executive tower for not much more, so consider splurging.

They are so nice and have a bar and restaurant on premises. They are also across the street from Shaw's Steakhouse, where you can get one of the best Santa Maria steaks in town. And even better - they are PET FRIENDLY! for a $50 fee.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a modern, up to date room you need the executive tower. Historic side is the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for spending the time to review our property! We are thrilled that you choose to stay with us! So sorry to hear that you are always cold, we will make sure to get you an extra blanket next time you come!
Our restaurant and bar are great and YES, we love your pets!
Cheers!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

My gf and I stayed here August 2013, for only 1 night, in the old tower in room 214. Although the name of the hotel sounded very familiar to me, we stayed here without any expectations. We were travelling back home from NoCal and needed a place to stay along the way, used one of them hotel websites and found Santa Maria Inn as the best deal in the area.
We walk into the lobby and our first impression is, "Wow this place looks amazing!" It has a very historic style, not a ultra-contemporary phony style you see in most hotels these days. Immediately we liked it.
We go up to our room. The room was a bit small and basic by todays standards. There was a bit of a damp smell in the room, but not bad. Room had a queen bed, mini-fridge, microwave, a very large closet, desk, flat panel TV and the deliver the newspaper to your door in the morning. The bathroom was newly remodeled with modern fixutres. The bed was very comfortable. The room had a very welcoming feel and we liked it a lot.
Now on to a bit of weirdness...First off, I'm a skeptic and don't believe in ghosts. But at sometime in the middle of the night, I awoke to a sound, like if somebody was running in the hallway and the sound stopped with a thud, right in front of my hotel room door. At first I thought maybe it was the newspaper delivery and didn't think much of it. A few moments later, I felt something jump on the bed near my leg. Felt exactly like a cat jumped on the bed. I tried not to move and started freaking out a bit. The pressure of whatever it was did not move at all, but would change pressure from slightly heavy, to very light, to completely jumping off. It jumped back on and off several times for about 15 minutes. Always in the exact same spot and never moving. I figured maybe it was my gf's leg. But after the final time that the pressure jumped on, my gf twitched her leg, the pressure jumped off and I realized my gf's leg was nowhere near where I felt this. A while later, I woke up to another thud in front of my door...this time it was definitely the newspaper delivery.
The other strange thing that happened was in the morning, while showering, the ventilation fan just turned off on its own. I can chalk that up to old wiring, but the other part, I still haven't been able to explain what the heck happened.
Other than that, everything was great. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your "unforgettable experience"! I will admit, while I don't believe in ghosts either, I have heard stories from time to time of "strange" occurrences in the Historic part of our hotel which was built in 1917.
Thrilled that you enjoyed your overall stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was planning to drive from La to Cambria but my flight was delayed and I got too tired to drive. The local Best Western was sold out & they recommended the Santa Maria Inn. The room was clean and amazingly quiet. Monika at the front desk was great. They serve late breakfast so it was the perfect start to my vacation.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank KateReviews
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review. Happy to hear that you enjoyed both our hotel and staff! We are thrilled that we started off your vacation right and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here many times over the past 15 plus years, because it is convenient for him working in the surrounding area. We have stayed in the 'old' section one time to satisfy my curiosity. Those rooms are small and darker. But it is intriguing to see the plaques of the famous who have stayed in those rooms before. Really gives meaning to Historical Hotel!
The 'newer' tower is getting older now, even though bedding has been updated. The rooms are big, clean, and the beds are comfortable.
Maintenance, security and housekeeping will respond quickly if you have any problems. Not saying there has been very many times that was needed!
I love the antique hotel desk(that makes it sound small, it is huge) as you enter the lobby. I always enjoy looking around at all the items on display in the downstairs areas, including the Rose Garden when it is in bloom and the model of the Santa Maria ship.
Their Dining Room Restaurant gives you an 'Old World' elegant feeling. I'm sure for some the Coffee Bar serving Starbucks would be popular, but I'm fine with the coffee maker in the room.

Room Tip: I love having a room overlooking the pool and garden area, but have stayed more often facing the str...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
HistoricManager, Manager at The Historic Santa Maria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We are thrilled that you have been a guest of ours for over fifteen years! The Original Inn side of the hotel is charming and it's fun to see the rooms where stars have stayed in the past.
Our Executive Tower has lovely views of the pool and rose garden and always recommend those rooms.
We look forward to seeing you and your husband again soon!