“Food great, portions large, service wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Atari-Ya Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 218 Restaurants in Santa Maria
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
“Food great, portions large, service wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

The restaurant is in a small shopping center behind a larger one and we would not have found it except for the recommendations we found on Trip Advisor. It was worth looking for. The service was excellent, the prices very reasonable, food was great and the portions were very large. We were very happy with our experience here.

• Visited August 2011

Santa Barbara, California
“Best Japanese Restaurant In Santa Maria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I'm 1/2 Japanese, and this restaurant reminds me of my mom's cooking. Soooo good! Try the curry or the tonkatsu, the best! My daughter loves the teriyaki chicken dinner and she's very picky. We love the sushi, although the rolls are just a wee bit too big for me. You get your money's worth. Keiko, thank you for all the dining pleasure we enjoy everytime we eat at your restaurant.

• Visited June 2011
Santa Maria, CA
“Delicious and Authentic Japanese Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

A little hole-in-the-wall in an out-of-the-way strip mall, Atari Ya is easy to miss...but one that you'll regret if you do. I loved this place the moment we stepped inside. It *feels* like Japan. The food is amazing and the specials are incredibly affordable. My favorites are the curried rice and the "Atari Ya Special" (Chicken Teriyaki, California Roll, Gyoza, and Green Salad, with Sunomono, Miso Soup & Steamed Rice, $10/lunch or $12/dinner).
There are numerous Japanese restaurants on the central coast, but in my opinion, this is the best.

• Visited February 2011
2 Thank SPDL_at_SM
San Luis Obispo, California
“The Real Deal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

I've been to Atari-ya three times since I've been back in this area and I'm been pleased every time. This isn't another ubiquitous sushi joint! Atari-ya has been open for 26 years and has consistently served the Japanese community--and many others on the Central Coast--authentic Japanese meals in their small restaurant. They continue to serve many fine items and complete meals. They also have domburi bowls, noodle bowls, and terrific sushi and nigiri among other things. True the rolls are expensive, but the quality is superb and this is where you will find many Japanese families. I was introduced to Atari-ya by a friend's Japanese mother and she still visits at least a few times each week.
I'm not a big fan of tempura, but the way it's done here is terrific. The vegetables are still crisp and not at all greasy (the way it's usually served in other places.) As for the rolls, I'm very fond of their futo-maki and the Atari-ya roll, which is a futo-maki with fresh-water eel. If you like Japanese food and you're weary of Santa Maria's many BBQ places and chain restaurants do give Atari-ya a try!

• Visited May 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Santa Maria
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food, Awesome Service and Wonderful people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2010

I love Atary-Ya, I can say it's my favorite Sushi Bar! I recommend the fresh fish dishes like the Alaskan Roll, Rainbow Roll, the Rock and Roll and much much more. The atmosphere its real cool if you like traditional Japanese. Just go, its awesome!

1 Thank adanelenes