“It is not your momma's market”
Review of The Market - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Modesto, California
“It is not your momma's market”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

When traveling to Santa Maria, Ca. to attend my granddaughters graduation, my wife and I did a little Google search to find a place to eat. This restaurant pop'd up so we decided to give it a try. We had misgivings about going to a shopping mall to have dinner but any qualms vanished very quickly when we walked in. The decor is great and seating is in a sunroom area. Our waitress was a young lady by the name of Lauren. A bright, energetic lady with a smile that would light up a room. Her accomplice was a chipper young man by the name of Michael. He was not only very courteous, he has a great sense of humor adding a very pleasant dimension to our dinner. Now to the Dinner fare. We both ordered the Buttermilk Soaked Southern Fried Chicken. OH, what a meal!! Executive Chef Nick Nolan is to be lauded for creating this chicken dinner. You are treated to two Breasts Slow Cooked to a Golden Crisp, Sweet Potato Puree, Salt & Pepper Green Beans & surrounded with a moat of Truffle Honey. I had a glass of Sunstone Sharah Rose (http://sunstonewinery.com/) while my wife had a glass of Tolosa Cabernet Sauvignon (http://www.tolosawinery.com/). Ambrosia describes the tastes enjoyed with this dinner. I do want to make one caveat. When you order your dinner and they ask you if you would like a salad to go with dinner and you ask for simple dinner salad, they bring you so much it is doubtful you will finish it off. The two of us together could not consume the little salad and our dinners. During the entire dinner, we had both Lauren and Michael stopping by very unobtrusively but checking to ensure our dinner was to our taste. I can only say my hat's off to Ashlee Hillier the manager. She has assembled an awesome staff to serve her mid-week guests.

• Visited June 2012

San Diego, CA
“Nice Little Place for Lunch, Fancy for the Mall”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

The Central City Market has taken the place of Carl Jr's in the Santa Maria Town Center Mall. It's very nicely done, decorated in a bistro style, with comfortable but limited seating. You can either dine in or take out if you want. I chose to dine in and ordered the pulled pork pita with loaded mashed potatoes as my side. My friend ordered the crab cake BLTA also with the loaded mashed potatoes. I asked for the soft drink list and got the answer of "Coke and Pepsi products," which I'm not entirely sure what that means besides regular and diet, so I got a Coke. It came as a whole bottle that you could pour into a glass of ice.

The loaded mashed potatoes were amazing. I didn't really understand the waitress when she said that they were loaded, but it meant that there was bacon, chives, and other stuff mixed in that made them taste great. My pulled pork pita was very good, but that was mostly because of the veggies in it; the pork was very mild and didn't offer a lot of flavor. My favorite part was the pickled red onions with the cotija cheese, which gave a great flavor. The waitress said that the hot sauce on it was fairly spicy, but I didn't think so. It offered a nice little flavor when mixed in as well, but I could have done with a little more.

The crab cake BLTA was huge, and my friend could only eat half of it. She said that it was good, and had a hint of something sweet in it. I didn't try it, though.

The service was good, but I felt that the food was fairly slow in coming, especially considering there weren't a lot of people in the seated area. I suppose the staff would want to get food to people getting take away first, or at least generally faster than for those seated.

I would definitely go back. I might even get the pulled pork pita again, since I liked the pickled onions so much. I might try the pulled pork tostadas next time, or the meatloaf. The macaroni side was also very tempting; they had many different sides to try, and I look forward to going back during a shopping trip sometime!

• Visited December 2011