“Walk from Santa Maria Inn”

El Palenque Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 225 Restaurants in Santa Maria
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Phone 805-938-2343. New owners, a family. Was "Viejo Mexico" restaurant previously for 9 mo. Their website is still in-work, so more info to be added by their son. This is from Bill Kleinbauer, 805/938-1405
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Nothing exceptional, nothing bad. Could be better, but no real dings. Right on the boulevard a block away from the Santa Maria Inn, so it was an easy decision when looking for a quick meal to take back to the room.

A good example of California style Mexican food. While I rate everything "average" I think you will find it clean and wholesome food.

Nice and friendly staff.

There are newer reviews for El Palenque Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was hesitant to try this resturant as it has changed hands several times since the long time Quitos closed down, but I was pleasantly surprised. They have been very consistent with good food & I see more and more people going in. I can honestly say this is my new go to Mexican resturant.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

The first time I went here, it was delicious. The second and third time were just as good. Hope this restaurant doesn't change a thing. Great atmosphere, excellent service, good value, great salsa, and great food! Love the margaritas too!

1  Thank Libby W
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I can get a healthy vegan meal -- chips and salsa, boiled beans, fresh salad, beer (that is from plants, too!). Owner and family are the main help.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

We stopped in for a birthday dinner with some friends after being put off by a smaller restaurant near by. The atmosphere is clean and friendly with good service. We ordered the carne asada dinner and fajitas with a quesadilla appetizer. They all were quite good but I'll just say that I've had better, especially at over $13 dollars for not as much food as I would have liked. They eventually brought the birthday girl an ice cream sundae and sang Happy Birthday which made everything better anyway. If there weren't so many choices for Mexican fare in Santa Maria, I'd go there again after trying everywhere else.