“In a nutshell? YUM!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had the pleasure of dining at AJ Spurs in Grover Beach on New Year's Eve. We had a large party (22 or so) but were seated after only about a 15 minute wait in the bar. (In total disclosure, we had a 5:30pm reservation so the restaurant had not hit its peak capacity yet).

Smartly, the restaurant assigned two servers to our table which sped up the ordering and serving process. Upon being seated, the servers brought out a bowl of their stew and beans as a starter. It was a hearty way to start to meal and prepared us for the delicious meal to come.

My husband and I shared the prime rib and I ordered the extra plate for $10.99. The extra plate includes all the sides (bread, salad, pilaf and red roasted potatoes) so it's a perfect option for those with a lighter appetite. I'm a big fan of prime rib and this was done to perfection. A lovely pink color throughout (just as I like it), moist, tender and flavorful.

Our kids enjoyed their meal as well - the pilaf with chicken strips was a big hit with my son and the fettuccine was enough to feed my 13 year old daughter and her friend!

From the conversations at our table I know that everyone was thoroughly enjoying their meat! The steaks, I was told, were delicious and the calamari steaks were large and very flavorful.

The only service issue we had was that it took a long time for drinks to arrive. I ordered a glass of wine midway through dinner but by the time it got to me we were moving to dessert. I declined and they graciously removed it from my bill.

The servers who took care of our party were very professional, courteous and friendly. We will definitely come back to AJ Spurs next year on our annual trip to the Pismo Beach area.

There are newer reviews for A.J. Spurs

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I know it looks like it is in Arroyo Grande, but the location at Oak Park and the 101 is technically in Grover, but who cares when the food and service are this good?

This is our "go to" place when we're celebrating, hosting a club banquet, wedding rehearsal dinner, or entertaining visitors. Family from the midwest or east get a kick out of the Western decor, and recent visitors from China couldn't get enough of the suffed animals and cowboy theme. The good size private dining room accomodated us well on many occasions.

And the food? yes, good quality all around. Delicious soup arrives almost instantly, so hungry diners can get off to a good start. Almost too good, as we are tempted to have seconds with the super black beans and salsa condiments to add to the soup. Mostly we have steak or ribs - the ribs are very generous. I'm cutting back a bit, so get the smaller steaks, and enjoy them. Also have had the halibut, which was very good, and my sister-in-law tells me the vegetarian choices were all good (even if she objected to the stuffed animals!).

We have found this good value for money - no one leaves hungry. Only suggestion might be have slightly larger bowls of salsa, as we needed two refills!

Reviewed August 28, 2012

It is expensive to eat here but well worth the money. The service is also great. The food is out of this world and you won't leave hungry.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Great steak and service to match. Pricey @ $25-$35 but complete with a cast iron pot to serve a great beef stew from and a salad, even a root beer float or liqueur aperitif is included.
I ate at the Arroyo Grande location in August 12 and would go back again.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Went out with friends to aj spurs to take on their challenge of 35 oz steak for $35. One person of our group completed it and won the coveted fat guy sized t shirt. The menu is a little pricey but once I found out you get a starter of soup, salad, bread, your entree and desert its quite reasonable. The decor of the restaurant is of taxidermy full size animals including a yak, birds dangling from the ceiling and deer heads. Our waitress was funny and quick. We had a great time and will return to take on the steak challenge some other time. I would recommend this restaurant but leave your vegetarian and vegan friends at home.

1  Thank kendrac21