“Good, But a little disappointed this time with my room”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Santa Maria
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Santa Maria
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Most things about the hotel were equally as good as my first visit except that this time we traveled with family & friends and occupied 5 rooms. After driving down to Jockos for a great dinner I had planned on having everyone over to my room to watch the rest of the niners game and to visit a while. My room was so ridiculously small and 3 of our other rooms were just a bit bigger. We ended up getting together in the fifth room which was spacious & quite comfortable and comparable to the first time that I stayed there. My room didn't have a refrigerator as the others did and didn't have room for an extra chair to sit on. Other than that the rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable and it's a nice, relaxing place to stay. The coffee & breakfast are good for a quick bite before getting back on the road. It was nice to be able to spend only one night since most hotels around there require a two night stay. We usually only go down for one night. We will stay at this hotel again but know to ask next time for the larger rooms. The bathroom in room 318 is as big as the bedroom. They should have constructed a smaller bathroom and made the bedroom bigger; at least to fit another chair & fridge.

Room Tip: Refuse room 318. I normally don't have a problem with a small room but it needs a fridge & a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Fairfield Inn S, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced and encourage you to ask for an upgrade or one of our larger rooms during your next visit. We also welcome guests to use our dining area which has couches, a large screen TV and fireplace – ideal for social gatherings during the afternoon and evening hours.

We appreciate your business and will look forward to another opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Got in late, worried that not having been there before , the hotel would be a nightmare... That was NOT the case... the staff got me some fresh brewed cofee, helped my find my rewards number, and treated me like a king.....

Very nice place, clean, quiet and a good deal!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SoCar_Consultant
Fairfield Inn S, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for selecting Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Santa Maria CA during your visit to California’s Central Coast region. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and look forward to an opportunity to serve you again when visiting our area.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Wow, this is a Marriott hotel?!  Can I go any lower on the rating, if so, it's a zero!  I am seriously reconsidering being a Marriott rewards member. I can hear my voice echo in this room.  No way to plug in my iPod to listen to music because the alarm clock looks like it came from big lots.  Tv is smaller than my computer monitor, and the HDMI access won't even let you connect to watch video or hook-up laptop or camera. This is a new hotel? Isn't this 2012?  Omg... Just noticed the bi-fold door for a closet... Wow!  I'm in a trailer park. Didn't even know they made such a thing anymore.  Hope the smoke/fire detectors are real and not stick-on.  This place leaves much to be desired.  Staff is smug, as if they are doing you a favor to be allowed to stay here. By the way, I can hear you people in the hall and across the hall, every word.  Absolutely no privacy here --Paper walls.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JJTemecula
Fairfield Inn S, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments. As a valued customer, your satisfaction is our number one priority. Please accept our sincere apology. We appreciate guest feedback as it allows us an opportunity to improve our operations and service.

Director of Sales

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed at Fairfield Inn & Suites on 07/26-27, 2012. The staff wants to please. The room and bathroom were clean and modern (about 300 sq. ft. total) The bed was great and I slept well. Ask for the parking-lot side of the building as the other side is on a busy parkway, even with their sound-proofing. They have a small inside swiming pool (28' x 15') a hot? tub (96' when I was in it) and a very cute gym that has free weights, 2 treadmills and a cross-country ski machine, all modern equipment. Breakfast was ok with waffels, breads, fruit, yogurt, and Breakfast Sandwichs. Coffee is B-. If I have to be in Santa Maria again, I would come back!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris R
Fairfield Inn S, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Thank you for visiting Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Maria. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and will look forward to seeing you again during your next trip to the Central Coast.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

First, hotel is in sketchy area of town. Weird enterance into hotel off of industrial road. Nice looking building when you pull up and very clean enterance and lobby. Problem was checkin. Very rude night person. I about walked out when he challenged me on my rate my company booked. He said I did not have correct I'd to checkin but would make an exception this one time. Long road trip and the last thing I need is a "cockie" check in guy throwing his power around. What the hell is happening to customer service these days. Very tempted to take my business to the hotel across the street but too tired to argue. Room was set up weird. Long enterance into room with small bed area (not designed well). Great bed and tv so went right to sleep. Standard fare for breakfast but nothing special (cereal, bread....standard stuff). Had bikers (bicycle) in hotel so they hogged elevator space but I use the stairs anyway. Just wish Marriott would "up" their game with customer service at their lower end properties. Overall just an "OK" stay.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank JayJay1011
Fairfield Inn S, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Good afternoon,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

I see your company reserved a State rate - which requires certain guidelines to obtain the rate. All guidelines are provided in detail on the reservation site. As a seasoned traveler and business professional, I am sure you can appreciate appropriate pricing is applied to the appropriate accounts. You presented a Federal Identification Card, which would qualify for a Federal rate, not a State rate.

Our pricing is in line with similar properties in this area and we feel that we offer good value given our central location and extensive facilities. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that I am truly sorry.

We plan to review your feedback in detail with our General Manager.

Sales & Marketing Director

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel two nights because we wanted to do a winetour in this district. The staff at the hotel was friendly, but was not able to give us good information about winetours, which we found strange, since this is a wine region. We found a good touring-company on our own, though. The room, especially the bathroom, was spacious and had nice, bright colors. The bed was comfortable! Breakfast has been highly praised at this hotel, but it soon becomes very crowded due to the small space. And when will recycling be introduced?
We were warned not to go by foot to the restaurants in the area, since this was not entirely safe. It was therefore not possible to walk to restaurants, we had to either take a taxi or drive ourself. This was a bit cumbersome, since we had to wait a long time for a taxi.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ragge62
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent visit. I am sorry our staff was not more helpful in providing local wine information as we have a variety of winery information located in our front lobby. We are excited to be introducing personalized wine tours this Fall – a much needed amenity for the Santa Maria area.

Marriott hotels practice eco-friendly procedures, and the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Santa Maria has a recycling program in place.

While some eateries are within a block of the hotel, fine dining establishments do require travel from the hotel. Unfortunately the streets in Santa Maria are not well lit, and our number one concern is the safety of our guest.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Visiting relatives and conducting some business in Santa Maria. Searched for a reasonable hotel near the town center and were not disappointed in our choice. There are many brand name motels in the area and one historic property. But we decided to go for the safe choice. I'm glad we did.The hotel is conveniently located near a freeway exit, the room was spacious and comfortable. We took other Tripadvisor reviewers recommendation and asked for a room away from the freeway noise. There is a little store near the front desk where one can purchase snacks and even frozen dinners. The rooms do not have microwave ovens but we were told we could use the one in the breakfast room area. Nice touch. We were not looking for a resort but were pleasantly surprised to see that there was a gym and pool (which we didn't have time to use).

Room Tip: Quieter rooms on the parking lot side.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank you for visiting Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Santa Maria and sharing your comments about your recent visit. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and found the staff to be helpful. Currently our suites offer a microwave and refrigerator however you will be pleased to know that we are in the process of adding microwaves and refrigerators to all rooms.

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.