“Southern Station - A New Twist in North County”

The Southern Station
Cuisines: American
Atascadero, California
“Southern Station - A New Twist in North County”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I are always looking for a new restaurant in "our neck of the woods" and were delighted to hear about Southern Station's recent opening in Santa Margarita - north of San Luis Obispo. We were even more delighted to learn that Southern Station is the "sister" restaurant to the Del Monte Café in SLO. (The Del Monte is an old-time favorite of most of us natives of SLO). Turns out the daughter of the owner of the Del Monte is running Southern Station. Anyway, off we went for a terrific breakfast experience. As the place is new - a month or so old - we expected some of the usual "quirks" a new place might be experiencing. Not the case ! Service was quick and served by a very knowledgeable young lady. The place is new and clean - a little sparse perhaps, but we understand that there will be live music on the outdoor stage and they already have a great patio area. We loved the definite vibe of Southern cooking - hush puppies, Cajun spices and all on the menu and the fact that there are lots of choices. Our breakfast was terrific! My husband's ham steak was one of the biggest I've ever seen - took 1/2 home for a ham sandwich and my egg/bean/pork skillet was Fabulous! We'll be BACK! ...and looking forward to live music in a new venue.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Critter123

Pasadena, California
“Nothing Special…then downhill from there.”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I ordered the Ham and Eggs. The ham steak was cooked properly and tasted very good. The “cheesecloth” napkins were a different twist. The servers were inexperienced. I asked if the home fries were “deep fried or made on the grill”, the waitress said confidently, “They’re not deep fried. They’re made on the grill” (hash browns were not offered). The result? A hastily cubed, raw potato, deep fried, leaving the inside of the spud raw. When I notified the waitress, she looked puzzled and asked, “Oh! Is that what deep-fried is?” The sourdough bread is usually good in this area. The toast was not served until I had nearly finished the meal. When the toast arrived, it resembled two large croutons, too dry and crunchy to eat. I will not be going back for some time in hopes they will be able to correct such basic flaws in their system.

• Visited April 2014
Oxnard, California
“Well worth the stop”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I almost hate to reveal a secret, Santa Margarita Lake and the nearby KOA Campground are two great reasons to visit this area. A couple of nice restaurants in the quaint village of Santa Margarita are available to add to the experience. After a relaxing overnight stay at the pleasant, nearby KOA campground, my family stopped here for an enjoyable breakfast on the way home. This establishment is new so they are still a bit rough around the edges- lack of Chicken Fried Steak and Country Ham stood out, however the food was well prepared and service was good. I love authentic chicken fried steak and was very disappointed that they were out- however I suspect they were out of it for good reason. I was extremely pleased with the pulled pork and sweet potato hash that I ordered. Its been a while since a dish ordered in a restaurant really "wowed" me as this one did. Ultimately, I was glad that they were out of chicken fried steak because it gave me the opportunity to enjoy their wonder Pork and Sweet Potato hash. I still want to try their chicken fried steak- its virtually impossible to find real chicken fried steak in California. Well worth the visit, I'll likely return sometime.

• Visited April 2014