“Great food good prices!”
Review of The Point

The Point
Ranked #287 of 374 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Capitola, California
“Great food good prices!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I LOVE The Point Chophouse for many reasons...all of them being the yummy menu items. I love Steak & Burgers & this is one of the best places for both. The Point Burger is huge & the price is great. Their breakfast is okay & the NY steaks are awesome! Plus they have flat screen TVs all over in the loung so you can catch a game & some great grub.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Victoria P

“Fire the Chef - seriously! Bad experience....”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We went here by recommendation from the hotel we stayed at but ended up as a bad experience. As we walked in we noticed they had a nice dining area but it being almost empty on a weekend day should have been the first sign.
We ordered 3 steaks and all came out way wrong. The kids Filet steak was ordered Medium and came out close to Rare. My Porterhouse steak was ordered Medium-Rare (and double checked afterwards with server to confirm) and came out Well done!? The waiter did not do much to rectify the situation until I got pushy and complained about it. The well done steak was not replaced...?
Afterwards I spoke to the Manager and he was very defensive right away and seemed not to care too much. My wife who is normally very forgiving even complained and said this was one of her worst dinner experiences. We paid $91 for our meal and didn't get what we ordered. For a place that is called The Point Steak and Chop house, they failed the one core competency a steakhouse should have, which is to cook a steak well.
A combination of expensive meals, poorly prepared food, bad service and unappologetic manager in my book is a red flag. If you want a good meal then stay away from this place!!!

2 Thank trustthisreview88
Santa Cruz, California
“Go for the PrimeRib”
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I liked this place right away after the change from the portola house. They've made it very comfortable. A bit pricey, but hey, it's good. It still feels a little like being in a cave since you don't see any daylight from the dining areas. The bar/lounge is great though. I like the couch and comfort chairs.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank Danny_OI812
Santa Cruz, California
“Great local place for breakfast, lunch and dinner.”
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I went once when it was Portola House and was not impressed. I went to The Point initially bc I was invited to a party there and was pleasantly surprised. Since then I've become a regular, especially for breakfast. They have a great breakfast for $4.95 from 9-11am on weekends...which goes great w/ their big mimosas. Some of the dinner entrees are only the pricey side, but they have great salads and awesome burgers that are reasonable. Decent alcohol selection too. Service can be hit or miss, but typically better than crappy service you'll get at almost every restaurant in Santa Cruz.

Chico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great time”
Reviewed December 14, 2008

I went in for the first time since the Portola House changed ownership and I have to say I was impressed. They have updated the decor and the food was great. The staff was freindly (and good looking) and the owner stopped by to say hello, check it out...great place to bring out of towners for a more local expieriance