“Great Location, Bad Food”
Review of Dolphin Restaurant

Dolphin Restaurant
Ranked #59 of 380 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Description: At Dolphin Restaurant, we have something for everyone. Join us in our dining room for our favorites including everything from an eclectic breakfast menu to our traditional fish & chips. Or if you prefer, dine outdoors on the only outdoor patio on the Wharf. Our walk-up to-go window always has both visitors and locals lining up for our great seafood, clam chowder bread bowls, and a selection of American classics, like burgers and fries. We are also proud to announce that we now have an in-house smoker, serving some of the best quality BBQ. Our mouth-watering pulled pork, baby back ribs, brisket, and other smoked delicacies. Dolphin Restaurant has delicious options for everyone including the kiddos, so come visit the beautiful Wharf and enjoy a bite to eat at the Dolphin!
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This place has a good location at the end of the wharf and open air patio to dine out in the beautiful Santa Cruz sun, however that is about the only good thing, which for most might mask how bad the food actually is because you enjoy your surroundings so much. The was decent as well as our server was attentive.

Our group Ordered fish and chips, which were fast food style fries and overly greasy fish. Usually fish and chips are beer batter however these were done with breadcrumbs..They were nothing special and not worth the extra price. You can get the same quality or even better at the boardwalk.

Another person ordered the Calamari Steak. The breading just slid off and not crispy and no seasoning to the breading either. The veggie served on the side were overcooked like they sat in the steamer and drenched in butter.

I personally ordered the shrimp Louie Salad. Nothing special the only good the was the amount of bay shrimp that was piled on. The Louie dressing tasted like a jarred thousand Island dressing.

I would not spend the extra money for the location simply not worth it. Go somewhere else.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Note, many of my foodie reviews revolve around finding the perfect Fish & Chips. One would think that, living in Santa Cruz, CA, a seaside town, that great Fish & Chips would be prolific. Unfortunately, my hunt continues.

I asked a lady at the parking kiosk gate what she recommended, after all, the entire wharf is swimming with Fish & Chips. She mentioned the Dolphin at the end of the wharf because they hand-batter Red Snapper. OK, I thought. Suspicion #1 does enter my mind, because however, she does work for the municipal wharf association and i'm sure it's her job to get people to walk the entire wharf to spend money. I ordered as usual - Fish & Chips with the fries "extra crispy" and a brew.

Service was quick. Almost too quick. Suspicion #2 appears. I barely had time to take a swig of beer and my food magically appeared SUPER QUICKLY. I mean TOO QUICKLY. The fish was indeed a nice golden brown. but everything was less-than-lukewarm. Not hot at all. The fries were limp and cold (not extra crispy as I had asked). I've run a kitchen or two in my life and my guess, is that this was a previous mistaken order that had been under the heat lamp for a while. There was nothing gratifying about this meal and The Dolphin will not be getting my business of money in the future. The quest continues.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

This restaurant is amongst the last building on the end of the pier in Santa Cruz.

The food is OK, but nothing to write home about. The sole and veggies were well prepared, but the accompanying fries were frozen string style fries and over greasy. No bread was provided with the meal.

These is no restroom on the premises, so you have to rely on the public restrooms around the corner. No hot water, though there was soap and they were reasonably clean.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Located towards the end of the Santa Cruz pier. Open early for breakfast. Take the time to walk to the very end of the pier and watch the sea lions. Good variety on menu, and good service.

1  Thank beachwalkeralways
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We got hungry as we walked the wharf. so we found this place my daugther loves dolphins so we thought why not plus i was told they had the best clam chowder. Not dissapointed there :) kids had burgers and hotdogs and were catered to in every aspect. Will make this a stop everytime we are in the area