“Food is ok, although mostly rice and little of anything else.”
Review of Taqueria La Cabana

Taqueria La Cabana
Ranked #156 of 420 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I ordered a shrimp burrito. It was fine, but it was mostly overcooked rice. It would have been nice to have a little more beans, veggies, or a few more pieces of shrimp. But, at least the shrimp was fresh tasting, and the prices were reasonable. I might go back if in the area.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (23)

Reviewed December 7, 2019

Have driven by this place for year and finally decided to give it a try. The place has a nice vibe, not as sterile or dominated by beer signs as many taquerias. Staff were very nice and the place seemed to be mostly frequented by repeat customers. While I was eating my meal, many people rushed in, quickly ordered, and dashed out with large bags to eat at home.

I ordered a tamale plate with a side of guac. Pretty simple order... The order of guac was huge, but it was at least 50% onions, 25% tomatoes and a just enough avocado to make a soupy salsa - I ate about half with the major flavor being raw onion. For the tamales, I was hoping for that fresh out of the steamer deelishisness where the masa is soft, almost creamy. Their version of tamales is sort of like a sandwich - a pretty dry, crumbly flat cornmeal thing about the dimensions of a hot dog roll, then the meat of your choice, topped by another corn thing which is covered with sauce and sour cream. The mole-like sauce was good, but the rest of it was a huge disappointment.

Maybe I ordered the wrong things. If you go, skip the guac and tamales. There are dozens of Mexican places in Santa Cruz. I'll head to one of my favs next time.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed August 4, 2019 via mobile

This place doesn’t look like much from the outside (or inside) but the tacos and burritos are great. I loved my artichoke and my al pastor taco. My husband had the burrito, which he thought was really great and very filling. A great local find, recommended by some locals.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 2, 2019

Tasteless and bland are not usually descriptions of Taqueria cuisine but here they are appropriate. I’ve seen less lettuce served as salads as what apparently was the guacamole. Pollo taco, blanched chicken set it a tortilla and barely garnished. Unlabeled salsa sit in a bus tub for your hopeless rescue of this slop.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed March 29, 2019

I've spent a lot of time in both California and Mexico lately and I don't think I have tasted better food - especially at this price point. Inexpensive, hearty, and full of flavour, you will be amazed at the low prices for such delicious food. Since my eyes were bigger than my stomach, I ordered three crispy tacos: the chicken, the crispy pork, and the beef. The crispy pork was probably my favourite with it's crunchiness and perfect spicing. Usually chicken tacos are mostly dried out by the time they get to you but this chicken was as moist as a rotisserie chicken with the perfect blend of Mexican spices. The guacamole was lovely and had just the right amount of tang to compliment the creaminess of the avocado, and the chips are made daily and are not too salty (a challenge for many restaurants). My friend had a vegetarian burrito and it was immense! I couldn't believe the size of it - and it was practically exploding! Although I couldn't finish it all, I was glad I had been able to sample so much. They also have a fine selection of vegan and vegetarian offerings (including a vegan ceviche that looked amazing). Staff is incredibly nice, and service is quick.

Date of visit: March 2019