“great fun...for the wrong reasons”

Surf City Inn & Suites
Ranked #46 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“great fun...for the wrong reasons”
Reviewed February 8, 2007

i stayed here at the beginning of last may with my boyfriend and his friend. we were doing a road trip to santa cruz thing so we wanted a cheap place to stay for three or four days and thats why we picked this place.

all in all it was a joke. we got there very early and the manager was so mean he wouldnt give us an early check-in. we were so tired from driving for two days that we parked the car in front of his office and slept. then we tried to make it seem like there was only two of us and they got super pissed off and said it was now going to be an extra 10 dollars a night. whatever we paid it

the pool is green...soooo disgusting

breakfast was garbage

the owner was always yelling on the phone and we always laughed at him.

the hotel is really close though to "downtown" santa cruz and thats what we loved about it

the room...hello its a 1 star motel!!! some people writing this seem like they were expecting the ritz or something. i've stayed at nice hotels and spas before and i was surprised with the conditions. our room was clean, we got wirless internet access for our laptops...whatever we booked a 1 star and a 1 star is what we got. really now, if you were expecting something a bit more grand, dont look at pictures....LOOK AT THE RATINGS!!!!

anyways, i would come back here if we were doing another road trip...fun times

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank mc01172014b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Oakland
Reviewed January 23, 2007

Terrible is an understatement. The bathroom floor was slimy, the fixtures were crusty, the carpet was dirty dirty dirty, the dresser was falling apart, but the worst of it all was the pillows; the pillow cases were white but the pillow inside was disgustingly BROWN! I almost puked. I immediatley went to the lobby and demanded my money back and they refused and started yelling at me. I had the cops come down and filed a fraudulant charge with my credit company. Even if I don't get my money back Karma is going to get the owner big time!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chadinski

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Sacramento
Reviewed September 27, 2006

I reserved a room online -- a 2 queen bed "suite" for me and my 3 teenage children. The pics online looked good. When we arrived at about sundown, we were disappointed as we pulled into the parking lot. We went in to pay. The manager was rude and would not give AAA discount. Our room was depressing. It looked like a slum apartment. No exageration. It was dirty looking, smelly, in disrepair, no pics on the walls, wallpaper torn off the bedroom walls, signs of water damage to the walls, etc. There was a low class apartment complex across the street with a lot of noise. The outside of the pool house looked run down and dirty too. After about 5 minutes, we decided this was NOT worth $119.90 (their weeknight rate!). I went to get a refund and check out. The manager refused to give a refund and was rude to me. I am fighting the charge. I will never go to Travelodge (ANYWHERE) again. I ended up finding a place with vacancy that was $40 cheaper, cleaner, much nicer management and they gave me a AAA discount!

• Stayed September 2006
2 Thank dkwsan
ssjensen
Reviewed August 8, 2006

This motel was the worst ever. I asked for more towels and they actually wanted me to bring my dirty ones down to the lobby right away so they could wash them. It was filthy. The bathroom had contact paper on the counter to make it look like marble. The breakfast was juice and poppyseed muffins sliced into about 7 slices per muffin. I would never stay here again.

• Liked — There was nothing good about this motel
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank ssjensen
San Francisco
Reviewed August 30, 2005

The other reviewers comments about the exceeding rudeness of the proprietors as well as the filthiness of the rooms are right on. We had made reservations on-line. While I was exploring the shops downtown my husband checked in - entered the room - and checked OUT!!! There was a substantial amount of mildew all around the bathroom. When he complained to the proprietor "Mr. Rude". Mr. Rude said "you're looking for luxury accommodations for a bargain price". Luxury accomodations are a CLEAN ROOM???? My husband suggested Mr. Rude check out the room and Mr. Rude refused, stating that if we didn't like it we could go elsewhere. Well, we did. Across the street to the Best Western Torch Light Inn. A bit more pricey but it was a night and day difference in the attitudes of the proprietors. I would very strongly encourage travelers to look other than the Santa Cruz RIVERIA Travel Lodge (the one off Riverside and San Lorenzo, there is apparently another "Travel Lodge" in Santa Cruz)

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank DarleneQ
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed August 18, 2005

We chose this hotel because the website stated that it was a "family-friendly" hotel - this is only one of the many untruths about this hotel that we discovered. They do not enforce the "family-friendly" curfew just ask our neigbors who arrived at 1:00 am and proceeded to have a small but very "potent" party in their room until about 4:00 am. The pool was not heated and was covered in sand and peeling paint. The staff was less than helpful. They demanded a credit card imprint even though we had prepaid (Priceline) arguing that they had a problem with people stealing towels (if you held them up to the light you could see through them). The rooms were hideous including peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, and red streaks on the wall that we can only hope were ketchup. I would not let me kids do anything in the room but sit on the bed. Thank goodness for the boardwalk (which is not within walking distance if you have small kids) and the ability to get out of the room. My husband convinced me that we could stand one night but I did not sleep a wink. Please avoid this hotel AT ALL COSTS. You can do better.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank mrschondel
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 19, 2004

We stayed here in May 2004. You get what you pay for! It's cheap and worn out. Despite the comments here about the owners, I found them helpfull, if a little abrupt. They let us check in before the advertised time. We had to get them up to check out at 8.30 am next day! Seems popular with noisey school/college parties.

Overall, I'd go elsewhere next time i'm in Santa Cruz.

• Stayed January 2005