“Never Again!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sacramento, California
“Never Again!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We arrived to find no toilet paper in the room! After a long car ride I had to make my kids wait so I could go to the front office and get some toilet paper. I was told 3 months prior to our vacation they would provide a roll-away bed because we are a family of 5. When I arrived they girl at the counter said they don't do roll-away beds. I told her I had confirmed they did and she said I must have been told that by a woman who no longer works there. Bathroom was half painted, it looked like someone had gotten distracted and didn't finish. The shower was filthy! Soap scum everywhere. Soap residue still on tub. People upstairs looked like they lived there because their underwear was drying on the railing. Neighbors were up all night partying and smoking marijuana. This place is a joke and you should never stay here. Very dangerous for kids!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Christie F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Modesto, California
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Am I on candid camera??? Lets start by saying I am not picky at all so I am hoping you heed my warning about this place. I didnt take other reviews seriously, but they are not kidding. Check in took 45 minutes with a rude young lady at the desk who couldn't find my online reservation, gave someone a key to another persons room-who they walked in on while the person was getting dressed! Then the person occupying the room had to get another key because their key would no longer work. She then proceeded to help other patrons that came in after me first all this in the first 45 minutes. She was VERY rude! There is more but I can't fit it all in here. The room is large but stained and dirty and has a weird smell. Definitely not recommended. Pay extra and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa C

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Didn't even get greeted at the front office. Bad management....got a different price over the phone...asked for an email confirmation and never got it although they claim to have sent it twice which is BULL#!¥#!!
Very very dirty looking should've went to a motel 6 would've been much cleaner for my kids. I wouldn't stay here again even if it was a free room. Bathroom was stinky and wall was moldy. Blanket had stains. Carpet was dirty. Read the reviews and had some good and bad reviews so I thought I give it the benefit of the doubt but I wished I hadn't. Oh forgot to mention that my room wasn't even ready at 4pm when check in is at 3. Got here early at 2:30 and didn't want to pay an extra $30 for early check in so we went down the street to grab a bite to eat only to come to a room still occupied by the cleaning lady. I don't even want to go look at the pool!! I'm glad for those that had a pleasant stay I only wish me and my family had one too!! I don't recommend any family with young ones to stay here. We had to put the blanket from the bed onto the floor so my kids can walk around the rooms. How sad is that!?!?!? Oh forgot to mention that the lock/latch on our front window didnt work either. Definitely stay away from this place! Yuck!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Sillygirls123
KPGM, General Manager at Surf City Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

From your review it is concerning to us that you had a bad experience at our hotel and I will look into the confusion at the Front Desk regarding your reservation and lack of confirmation. The Housekeeping and Maintenance departments are working hard every day to clean and maintain the property and if a guest is unhappy about a particular room, changing rooms is an alternative. The new ownership took over just before the peak Summer Season and with it being so busy and rooms occupied, has not had the opportunity to renovate the rooms as yet. Should your travels bring you back to Santa Cruz in the New Year, come see Beachway’s new look in the future.

Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed July 27, 2013

First off, they assigned us a room that was already occupied. It took 3 tries to FINALLY get a room. And the room we got was disgusting. Furniture looked like it was from the 1960's. The beds are bowed in the middle. The dressers and cupboards are filthy-looking. The bathroom was nasty. The floor looks like they haven't cleaned it in years. We checked for bed bugs, and immediately started looking for other accomodations. The walls are smeared, yellowed, just unsanitary looking. Do not stay here. Please be forewarned, it is gross, nasty, and it's shameful to even think they can call this a hotel. It should be closed down due to unsafe, unsanitary conditions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SandySan398
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear that you had difficulties checking in at the hotel as there certainly must have been a mix up with room allocation at the Front Desk. I will address that with the Front Desk Manager to make sure that does not happen again. The Hotel is older and has outdated furniture but it is a good value with a great location. The new Owner has slated the hotel for renovation to start right after the busy Summer Season which will give it a fresh look. We will still offer a good value such as free parking, complimentary continental breakfast and free wifi for our guests and do hope you will come back and stay with us.

Hanford, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I checked a bunch of rooms online for two beds and couldn't find anything decent for a hundred bucks,so we just winged it. We found this one within walking distance to the boardwalk. Literally like Two blocks away. The room had the beds in separate rooms. It was almost like a one bedroom apartment. Lots of room especially for our daughter to stay out of the way. It had a refrigerator and a microwave and even a fan. The TV worked and the bed wasn't uncomfortable and they had lots of towels. The parking was great and we parked right in front of.pdf room and even left a few times and came back and still parked close. The front desk clerk was friendly and I will most definitely try this place again if I'm in the area. The ONLY downside was that the other room had no TV or fan so our daughter had to share the TV. But we we're hardly in the room anyways

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank jjnlina
KPGM, General Manager at Surf City Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us recently and that the Family Suite made your stay even better. We pride ourselves on providing a good value especially for traveling families. We hope that you will come back and stay with us soon as the new Owner will be updating the property.

San Diego, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was traveling on business and stayed at the Beachway for one night. I had checked out other properties in the vicinity and chose this one to stay at with the expectation that it was a good value. The employees were nice, check in was easy and I was given a room on the second floor over the Lobby. The room was big, king bed and a nice sitting area. True there was no air conditioner but with the window open, I had a nice cross breeze.

This is a nice place to stay for the rates you pay being within walking distance to all. If you go with the expectation that it is a budget motel, then you won't be disappointed. There was free parking, a free continental breakfast, free wifi and a pool and spa which I did not have the opportunity to use.

I spoke to the Owner who just recently purchased the property and he is working hard to address concerns of the previous guests. It is really busy in Santa Cruz during the Summer so I look forward to coming back when it is a bit quieter.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Virginiart
Dear Business Traveler ~ We offer business travelers a good location and a good rate along with some amenities like free parking, free wifi and business services at the front desk. We look forward to staying with us again in the near future.