“Grossy Nasty do not Stay” 1 of 5 bubbles

Surf City Inn & Suites
Ranked #49 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
GreenLeadersSilver level
SAN JOSE
“Grossy Nasty do not Stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

The pictures on the website are deceiving. The price for this hotel is way to high for the quality of rooms you get. The rooms smell old and dirty. The walls, floor, and bathrooms, are nasty. No every thing is nasty. There is a lot of noise, they say family friendly it is not. I will never stay here again. This is a horrible inn. Do not let the website or the name fool you. It IS BAD!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NICOLE S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've stayed in 4 or 5 budget hotels in Santa Cruz and this motel is better than the others.
The room we were in had 2 separate bedrooms, each with a twin bed, TV in one room. There is an indoor pool and spa. The motel is just across the bridge from downtown and the boadwalk - so everthing is walkable.
This is a great place to stay with kids.
The staff were extremely welcoming, the rooms were quiet, the other guests were not scary and the free breakfast of waffles was great.
I am glad I was not put off by some of the other mean reviews that I read.
It is true that fan was noisy and the walls did have stains. If you dont want that, pay more elsewhere.

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs at the front (Low 200 numbers)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EricHalfaBee
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Although it looked as though the bathroom fixtures had been updated recently, the rest of the unit was atrocious. The dirt was crusted on the nightstand, paint peeling from the door, even the ceiling had dark stains, as did the bedding and towels. The noise from the bathroom fan had me using it in the dark.

I was afraid to walk barefoot in the unit. There was even an iron shaped burn in the carpet by the window. I was considering staying another day, but couldn't tolerate it (and my standards aren't that high to begin with).

I was afraid to even look at the pool. Avoid this place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Beth57Pasadena

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Modesto, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

THIS IS THE WORST MOTEL EVER!!! I HAVE BED BUG BITES ALL OVER MY BODY!!! It is disgusting there. I went to celebrate with my mother in Santa Cruz for me starting my master degree. We stayed at this motel. It was cheap and thought it was a good idea, I was so wrong. They were rude from the start and the own hung up on me when I was just simply trying to ask for the password for Wi-Fi. There website said 24 hour front office desk service. Morning came and breakfast wasn't served even at 8AM. Plus, the people next to us in the room were drunk and fought all night. I had to call the police twice on them. And I woke up with bed bug bites all over. I noticed them on my pillow. I also noticed a blood stain, it is gross. Also, the room had a funny smell. The bed was in an awkward position where I couldn't watch TV comfortably and my mother felt the same way. I guess you get what you pay for; sometimes paying less is not always the best option. When I called and complained the owner had the nerve to tell me he will give me a 20% discount when I next come back. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I have never been so traumatized by a motel until this one. PLEASE DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He and his wife are both retarded and blind to the fact that they are losing customers

Room Tip: No rooms from this motel are good, please go else where.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jessica G
South Lake Tahoe, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family and I have stayed here 2 years in a row, The staff is always very friendly and the rooms are clean. They have an awesome indoor pool and Hot tub that the whole family can enjoy. The rates are reasonable and its not too far from the Boardwalk!

Room Tip: If your going to be there a few days and have a group, I would stay in the 2 bedroom apt. It has a f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Misty R
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

Well im not suprised this hotel is rated as one of the worse in Santa Cruz.We stayed here for one night while travelling in California and of the six hotels we have stayed in so far this is the worse by a long way. The rooms are dirty and need updating, the breakfast was rubbish and we had to take it back to our room to eat as there is no dining area. We paid $90 dollars to stay here, that now seems a rip off! We were just glad to get out of there after only one night, there are plenty of other hotels in santa cruz so try one of them!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MJ C
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is relatively close to the beach and main attractions not really walking distance, this was a last resort for us a family, it's a dingy hotel, stayed here during the summer weekend of 2012 the hotel gets really busy lots of people, loud and a somewhat ghettto, booked thru priceline( $117) the hotel fee was small bout 2 bucks for a night and just glad we had a place to sleep and glad to be outta there the next day.
Check in was fast and easy, service was prompt and efficient not too interactive but good, wi-fi was a plus, free parking but gets busy, didn't try the pool seemed too cramped up, did like that at night the whole place is very brightly lit! I gave it an "average" for the type and price/season if it's not a heavy busy season I would not have paid that for this hotel. expect towels, and if your like me remove the top blanket it just gives me the hivie-givvies! thankfully we had out on blankets! oh and don't let the "breakfast" influence your booking it's nasty bread, fake oj, and cheap tasting oatmeal!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family