“Somewhat dissapointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Dixon, California
“Somewhat dissapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The grounds and setting are very nice. The rooms are not resort like. I had a mini suite and did not even have a mini fridge.
The food at the restaurant was awesome. The service at night was turtle like, the young man seating people was more concerned with his phone than seating hungry patrons. Because the food was so good, we went with it.

As far as checking in, it took hours for our room to finally be clean and ready. The front desk people were great. There were some employees such as the wait staff at night at the retaurant need serious training. They are more concerned talking to each other about their lives than paying attention to their jobs. The restaurant manager needs to do some server training.

For the price, I will find a better destination. Despite all, still had an enjoyable weekend. The lunch waitstaff was on the ball and very friendly.

Hats off the folks at the check in desk, very helpful and friendly. Not a 4 star resort though.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Patterson, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed here 7/1-4/2013. I found this resort via 'pet friendly' and what a great surprise - grounds are well kept and beautiful with all the flowers and the trees. Nice hiking areas for my dogs. Had a great experience from the friendliness of the staff - starting with valet, check in, waitress, and maids. Best I've ever had - and I travel a lot! Met the GM, Kevin, at breakfast which was a fabulous buffet included in my package - had a chef making made-to-order eggs and omelets which was also excellent, lemon soufflé pancakes, Belgium waffles, fresh fruit and lots more. Had a private deck overlooking the redwoods. The room was clean and fresh - and I did not have any issues with the retro-look of the furniture. Bathroom was pristine and loved the full bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body wash on the wall of the shower - brilliant!. Dual Shower heads really kicked it up a notch. Only had a 2 day reservation, but asked to stay a third night based on all of the above - and I haven't even talked about the pool/spa! My vacations will be at this resort in the future. Truly impressed.

Room Tip: make sure to ask for the rooms with the deck - better experience I think.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank susanst53
ChaminadeResort, Public Relations Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Susan,

Thank you so much for the glowing review. We hope to see you and your pooches again soon at our new 'Yappy Hour'.

Cheers,

Team Chaminade
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I think this truly is one of those places you go because of everything else but the rooms, and the rooms are OK enough to make the rest worth the cost. I stayed 3 nights. The proximity to fun places around Santa Cruz is great, and the restaurants have awesome patios looking out towards the bay. The food and service was great in the restaurant. The resort is very reminiscent of a retreat center or camp with dorms, buildings spread out far but they have valet parking. There is also a very nice hiking trail on their grounds in the forest, so nice and cool and a beautiful walk with a wide walkway. Of course there is also a nice pool and jacuzzi area.

The rooms are spacious but as others have mentioned the bathrooms are unnecessarily tiny and the shampoo, soap etc. is a joke (a wall-mounted dispenser used by everyone). Wifi is great and no charge. They have a gym with lots of equipment.

The number of AC receptacles is absolutely terrible so if you have computers and phones, etc. bring extension cords and multi-outlet adapters (none by the bed!). I'm not a good judge of room decor but my wife was not impressed.

I'm giving it 4 stars because of everything else but the rooms but they are perfectly fine if you're not spending your day there. Don't go here to stay in 4 star rooms, go to be in a beautiful resort away from the crowds, nice restaurant, but still close to the parks and beaches you'd like in Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Request first floor room so you don't feel like you're in a motel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank HotelSnobAustin
West Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My family and I checked in late into the resort. Both my wife and I needed to check in because we reserved two rooms, which was rather strange since I figured that if any damages were incurred, my wife (and ultimately me) would be on the hook for the bill.

First impressions, to be honest, were not that great. The rooms are grouped according to room numbers in separate buildings. The buildings look like run-of-the-mill apartment buildings or college dormitories. There’s no facade or anything of note from an architectural standpoint. A set of outdoor stairs take you to the upper floor rooms. Building is bisected by a hallway, with rooms on each side. The hallway is thankfully enclosed with glass doors on each end. There’s a slot for what I assume is your card key to limit the people who can access your building but the lock to the door closest to our rooms was broken. Just pull and it opened. The card reader was also broken as it did not register our key card. So much for security...

The room decor was also interesting, to say the least. Overall the impression is visiting your great uncle Joe’s house that has not been significantly renovated since the late 70’s. No shag carpeting or dark wood paneling but there are odd pieces of dark furniture, including the headboards, which I think are going for a carved polynesian motif. Most of the walls of the room are covered in a beige textured wallpaper-like covering upon closer inspection is supposed to look like... rattan? Then incongruously there is a brushed metal sconce on the wall that jarringly seemed out of place. The room has an alcove which contains a small round table with two chairs. The table top is covered with a pane of round glass. At the far wall of this small alcove is a different kind of wallpaper. It is a dark orange or brick colored wall paper with dark accents. Over this small table is a colorful ceiling lamp. When I first entered the room, I tried flipping on the all the wall switches to turn on the lamp but couldn’t. Then it dawned on me that the ceiling lamp was hanging from a large chain-link chain. And the chain ran from the lamp to the ceiling attachment for the lamp, then to another attachment to hold up the chain by a wall, then ran down the wall. And running through the chain was the electrical cord. Aha! So I followed the chain and cord. The cord plugged into a wall socket. And on the floor, attached to a redundant loop of the chain and cord was the on/off switch to the ceiling lamp. On the floor! I shook my head....It was not obvious at all. By the way, the carpeting consists of this dark blue and brown patterned carpet (not shag) that pretty much says... conference hall or banquet room.

It was a slightly warm in the room, so I turned the thermostat down below the ambient temperature registering on the thermostat. Nothing happened. I looked around my surroundings, took in everything about the room that I experienced and a flash of inspiration hit me. I gave the thermostat a little love tap and well, the air conditioning started to work.

Towards the bathroom, there is a vanity outside of the bathroom that has a sink. But instead of keeping with the decor for the rest of the room, someone installed a modernistic faucet, something you’d find like in some Teutonic-themed post-modern hipster establishment. With an over-the-counter basin sink. It took me a minute or two to figure out how to turn on the sink and adjust the water temperature. The top of the vanity had been replaced with granite but they left the remainder of the vanity, I’m assuming, as is, with the same old dark wood. Then under the sink, next to the pipe to the sink, they left the complimentary tea packages and the ice bucket....

The bathroom, as other reviewers have stated, is pretty small and decorated in tile and orange paint. Did I mention that the curtains to the room are orange with teal stripes? Anyway, the fixtures and the sink and the countertop have been been replaced and are rather new. The tub has an anti-slip piece of rubber that partially floats upward when the shower is running.

But that’s not what really annoyed me about the bathroom and actually the entire room. What bothered me the most is not the above-mentioned architectural and design mishmash that I’ve written extensively about, which is more amusing than anything else. It’s what the resort has done to the toiletries. Instead of the little bottles of shampoo/conditioner/body wash and a little sealed packet of soap, the resort has mounted three bottles of communal body wash, shampoo, and conditioner on the wall. No bar soap! Of course you could move the little bars of soap from the sink or the vanity into the shower. But would it have hurt the resort financially to put a little bar of packaged soap in the shower? Using the wall-mounted dispensers of toiletries makes me feel like I’m showering in a locker room or a dorm, not in a private bathroom in a “resort”. Even Motel 6 offers you your own little bottles of shampoo and conditioner and a bar of bath soap. Is the resort, located in Santa Cruz, trying to make some sort of communitarian statement by doing away with the tiny personal bottles of toiletries and the individual packets of bath soap? I frankly don’t know.

Overall, this is not a horrible place to stay. But I expected more from a "AAA 4 Diamond Resort".

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Snowbeardude
ChaminadeResort, General Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Snowbeardude,

We appreciate all reviews even those who do not agree with the style and design of our rooms that were renovated with a retro style décor. It’s appreciated by many but understand you have a different taste for hotel room décor. Chaminade has been recognized by many for achievement of “Green Industry” standards, including but not limited to our use of dispensers for bathroom amenities as a substitute for the plastic mini bottles that have been used for decades. We offer a complete line of Bee Kind amenities which feature certified organic extracts. A portion of the net profits of this product supports honey bee and sustainable pollination research.

I look forward to hearing of your experiences throughout the property. Did you have an opportunity to experience a signature treatment at our spa, hike our many trails through the redwoods or take in an evening sunset from Linwoods Patio? Again, we appreciate all reviews and please fee free to contact me directly should you have the need.

Kevin Herbst
831-465-3422
kherbst@chaminade.com
Del Mar, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked this hotel based on its 4 star rating! It is far from 4 star...it is worn out and dark inside. Grounds are not kept up. Worst of all, we had someone climb the trellis outside our second floor room and try and get in our window at 2:15 AM! He said he was locked out of his room! We didn't sleep a wink after that! Scared us terribly and we left the next day! The worst night we ever spent in a hotel!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Barbara M
ChaminadeResort, Guest Relations Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Barbara,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. While we made several attempts to remedy the situation we apologize that we were unable to accommodate your needs. To be fair to the resort however, we take the safety of our guests seriously. Our tenured security team responded immediately to the scene and found it was a guest of the adjacent room trying to gain access after being locked out. He incorrectly judged his room and while attempting to waken his roommate disrupted your peaceful night. To which, he was deeply apologetic and offered to pay for your nights lodging. A point we verified through multiple conversations with the Manager on Duty not only at the time of the incident but also the following day.

Chaminade has a wonderful property set on 300 acres with 11 guest villas. Our response to these infrequent situations is immediate and thorough. Unfortunately, the guest requested that we facilitate a change of hotel at our expense in attempt to avoid a negative online review. The guest did not pay for accommodations for the night in question courtesy of their neighbor- leading one to believe their neighbors were remorseful and did not present a valid safety concern.

We at Chaminade welcome all reviews but do reserve the option to report truthfully when we are unable to accommodate all guests.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This place bills itself as luxury, but the weekend I was there, there was no internet service, the sauna was broken, the espresso machine was broken, and I'm still trying to work out the details of my bill (I was billed for two nights, and only stayed for one!) The location is lovely, and the staff are wonderful, but the physical plant is basically a cheap hotel with thin walls and tacky furniture set in the redwoods. I don't mind paying a bit more -- even a lot more -- but this place simply isn't worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Gal5332655
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Spent 3 nights at the hotel starting on a sunday, so possibly the resort is busier over the weekend? However, found it to be a very relaxing break, the whole resort was very quiet, which ment the pool area was very relaxing.

We enjoyed the nature trails. Breakfast was excellent. Family joined us for lunch, which was delightfull - helped by the lovely views and setting.

Yes the rooms are a litted dated - however, everything was clean and the bed very confortable. It was very peacefull at night, although people and doors closing could be easily heard, possibly more of a problem if very busy??

My tip would be to avoid busy times.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple