“Phenomenal Wedding Venue!!”

Chaminade Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My sister just got married at Chaminade and it was AMAZING! I am writing this on her behalf because she just got back from her honeymoon and now they are moving to a new house. I told her I'd be happy to review it for her since she is so busy. We were all treated like royalty the entire weekend. Angela Edmond was her wedding planner and she far exceeded my sisters expectations. Angela was incredibly knowledgeable on everything related to the wedding. She was so enthusiastic, helpful and genuine. My sister raved about her right after they booked the site with her and after meeting her, I completely understand. Also the banquet manager Shannon Delcaro was terrific. The entire staff was amazing, from the waitstaff to bartenders, valet, front desk... The venue is beautiful, the rooms lovely, and the view from there is incredible. I would definitely recommend this place for anyone wanting a beautiful, unique wedding location with a view of Monterey Bay.

Room Tip: Go to the boardwalk if you have kids with you Or go to the capitola village.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had an excellent experience during our stay at Chaminade Resort. From the time of booking on the phone to the front desk staff and servers at breakfast, every staff member was polite, gracious and professional.
Our dog was traveling with us and the staff was very accommodating. At check in they gave him a gift of a new bowl, doggie treats and a waste bag dispenser for his leash.
The resort is very family friendly and welcoming. There were happy kids with their parents and guests walking their dogs throughout the property. It felt like a nice, comfortable and safe neighborhood.
The grounds at the resort were immaculate and beautiful with fresh plantings. The breakfast buffet was delicious with an omelette station, fresh fruit, yogurt, bacon, potatoes, and hot cereal.
The rooms smelled fresh and the maid service was prompt and very good. There were areas of the room that showed wear, but overall the room was modernly decorated and spacious.
I will stay there again next time I visit Santa Cruz.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We got married last year at The Chaminade Resort and had decided to go back for our one year anniversary. We had a beautiful stay there. We spent the late afternoon and had appetizers and a glass of wine, as we enjoyed the view from far above in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Our room was beautiful. I had asked for a room near the main resort area and Marilyn in reservations was wonderful in granting this request. Dinner in the Linwood Bar and Grill was wonderful. Beautiful atmosphere and excellent service, then breakfast buffet this morning. All and all an excellent stay, which we will do again next year.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Accidentally found this lovely resort & spa while taking a road trip on the PCH......what a fabulous and wonderful surprise. The location with views of the beautiful bay and surrounding hiking trails was tops! The restaurant had the most attentive staff and the choices of wine and food were outstanding. Cannot say enough good things about Chaminade Resort & Spa. I will be returning for a longer stay soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are located a ways from the lobby/restaurant and spread out on lush grounds. Very quiet a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Was staying for 3 nights during spring break with 2 kids and a dog.

Good things first: Location, scenic view from the restaurant, very good - almost great food.

Bad: Virtually no sound isolation. You will hear every guest entering your building. Well, we were very close to the metal entrance door but still, it felt like we were in motel 8 on that regard.

Another thing is like somebody else said before - very business oriented. Nobody expects you there on vacation, at least housekeepers won't. They get very persistent knocking on your door right after 8 am.

Restaurant - food was great but be prepared for a very slow service. We end up spending almost 2 hours and were ready to give up on our dessert as well but they showed up last second. Maybe we were unlucky with our waiter but... Oh, and when you finish with your salads in the 4* restaurant you do expect them to bring you a new set of utensils, don't you? Well not in this case.

Overall I would say it was almost ok but could be great. I don't think I'm coming back there.

P.S. Omelet and waffles were incredible! Both chiefs were very, very nice.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the fist floor. Stay out of the entrances!!
1  Thank Anatoly S
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We spent three nights in this resort and fell in love with it. I read some not that great reviews ahead and was a bit concerned but fortunately, I can't share them. I guess if you are looking for the luxury accommodation, meaning everything around is neat and posh (and soulless as a result) - it might be not the right one for you. But if you want to relax in the elegant European-style setting you may find it here. We arrived late but the ladies at the front desk were very friendly and even provided us with some spa and breakfast discounts. Some smell in the hallways somebody mentioned, I found rather pleasant and appropriate. All three rooms we occupied were nicely decorated in Club Med style, we liked the design. Two rooms had an extra "communication space" with the table and chairs, which made them large sized. The bath was of a normal size, I didn't feel squeezed, all the faucets, toilet and such are modern style, and looked like new. The windows were on the woods side with relaxing views. The pool is not very large, but it was not crowded on the Easter weekend, and in the morning I enjoyed it solely. The restaurant is great, breakfast - superior with the views of the ocean and the woods. I was surprised that the spa was not crowded - it is not big but with the very nice facilities, the fitness center is big. All the service staff was really friendly and pleasant to deal with. LTE reception was poor (what can you expect in the woods?), but the voice and WiFi worked fine for me. The premises are great, we explored the trails starting right from the hotel and enjoyed them. There is a very cozy fireplace near the lobby and an open fire to help enjoying the spectacular night views at the terrace. It was hard to leave after we enjoyed a fine breakfast in the foggy Santa Cruz morning, while a cook in a mead evil hat suspiciously reminding Rembrandt, was preparing omelets. Will definitely come back one day!

2  Thank BMECTE
Reviewed March 27, 2013

On a Monday the hotel was very quiet. I had purchased a very attractive coupon deal and I was faced with either using it immediately or losing the extra value, so my friend and I went.

Driving up to the resort through the eucalyptus grove immediately settles your mind. it is in a beautiful location. After checking in we took the shorter of two hikes, 1.25 mile. The other is a loop about twice as long. Easy hike and very well marked. The hot tub was nice and hot, about 104, and the pool was quite warm -- perfect in fact.

Only the bar and grill was open and we had a $50 credit to use so we had dinner there. The portions were fine. The pork tenderloin was a bit over cooked but tasty. There was only one family having dinner at the same time as us. They evidently thought it was fine for the kiddies to play Heart and Soul on the piano. The wait staff didn't say anything to stop them. I stood up to talk to the manager when their food came and that was the end of it. The piano should be kept locked or at least put a sign on it.

The first floor room was nice. There was a patio, but because it was totally enclosed by a wood fence there's no view. My advice is to ask for a view of the woods on the first floor. There are two sinks in the room, one in the bathroom, one by the closet. There were a table and chairs which would have made a nice dining space, but no mini fridge, which would have been very handy. Also, a couple of wine glasses would have been nice.

The biggest and most annoying shortfall of this hotel is the pillows. Neither my friend nor I slept we'll because the pillows were thick, lumpy foam / synthetic combination. Normally hotels give you a combination so you can choose one to your liking. I ended up sleeping without a pillow, rather than suffer with those. Therefore, I did not sleep well. Advice: bring your own pillow(s).

The breakfast buffet was included in our deal and I was surprised that it was a very complete buffet with omelette station, lots of fresh fruit, waffles, etc. the only problem was that the hostess was also the only server. She was seating people, filling coffee, getting condiments, etc for the entire place. Poor woman was worn to a frazzle and she didn't have time for pleasantries. The staff must have called in sick and she was left solo.

Mo's Alley is a short distance. It was closed on Monday but if I come back on a weekend I'll plan to go there. It's a fun live music bar.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor with woods view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends