Chaminade Resort & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Beach Street Inn and Suites(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$169
Dream Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$287
$239
  • Pool
Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$162
$132
Hilton.com
Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$120
$100
ComfortInn
West Cliff Inn, a Four Sisters Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$229
Quality Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$90
$81
QualityInn
$179
$174
Hotels.com
Hampton Inn Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$230
$179
Hampton.com
Best Western Plus All Suites Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$119
$104
Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$117
$108
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstennis courtshiking trailsnice resortmain buildingforest viewthe santa cruz mountainsjunior suiterelaxing getawayhot tubguest roomsfire pitweddingangelaconferenceoceanredwoodsvalet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This lovely spot used to be a seminary, and looks over the whole of the Monterey Bay. Have a drink here and watch the sunset - order a great lunch or dinner from a master chef. Attractive spa and health club, lovely pool & hot tub in a sunny spot. Extremely helpful and friendly staff, and great yoga teacher in the exercise classes.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I wanted to get away for a night, we arrived, checked in and everyone was very nice. First problem was the hot water on the shower ranged from Very hot to Scalding, it wouldn't cool down to a reasonable temp. We tried calling the front desk but the phone didn't work. After about 5 minutes of fiddling with it, it went from scalding hot to luke warm, so we both showered quickly in luke warm water.

In the room, we immediately noticed how much noise we picked up from our neighbors and people walking down the hallway. The walls in the 1100 building were absolutely paper thin. We went out to dinner, came back and through one wall, we could hear the TV playing. On the other wall, we could hear a guy snoring. Above us we must have had some neurotic person there, but they were pacing back and forth and we could hear every step (loud) and the building creaked with every footstep.

I used toilet paper to plug my ears which helped a bit. We were up til about 12:00 listening to these things until the guy above us finally went to bed and we fell asleep. We were awoken at 2:00, 2:30 and 3:00 all to the guy above us stomping around and the snorer. At one point I stood on the bed and banged the ceiling and he stopped walking around. I'd say we got maybe 3 hours of sleep. We even debated driving home at 2:30, but decided to tough it out.

At 6:30 am, we were awoken by people talking loudly, dogs barking, people slamming doors, all which were too loud for anyone to be able to sleep through.

We tried to sleep in, but couldn't so we got packed up, went to the front desk and asked for a refund. Because we booked through Expedia the girl said there was nothing they could do, except offer us a breakfast voucher. We said that was unacceptable, that we had one of our worst nights sleep in a long time while paying $220 to do so. She said, "well you should have called us." I told her the phone was broken. "Well, there's nothing we can do now that it's in the past, you should have used your cell phone." Insinuating that we did something wrong here.

I told her I wanted to talk to a manager, but the manager wasn't coming in til 10:00 am, so we left our number and information and said we were going to write a terrible review if someone didn't help compensate us for our bad experience Two days later and they still haven't called.

My guess is, this is a recurring problem for them and they don't care about providing a good experience for their guests, just making money. It was frustrating that the check out girl didn't offer to have a manager speak with us, that she just kept placing the blame with us and saying there was "nothing" she could do.

I understand some of these things are unavoidable, but the bottom line is if you're looking for a nice, relaxing, quiet get away, this place is not for you. The walls are so paper thin that you can hear everything around you going on.

If you do decide to stay here, bring your ear plugs.

Room Tip: Not the 1100 building.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sauceycor
ChaminadeResort, General Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for your Tripadvisor contribution. We do strive to exceed all our guest expectations and I am sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered. I would like the opportunity to speak with you in person, please contact me via email at kherbst@chaminade.com at your earliest convenience.

Kind Regards,

Kevin Herbst
Chaminade Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Went here for a meeting. Loved it! Its not really a beach getaway, but great for businesses! Its got more of a forest feel than a beach one. Never having been to California, I didn't realize that the Sierras and Redwood forests were in the area... I just expected costal. But Santa Cruz and Chaminade are great because you get it all. Just a short drive you can go down to a boardwalk on the ocean, or you can enjoy the seclusion of the resort.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Littlemrsbush
Reviewed February 8, 2013

What a wonderful place...........The people who work here are awesome.
It was like I was visiting family and friends....... sort of forgot it was not my place....

Check-in was fast and friendly

The room was extremely clean and efficient. Updated television, great tea, coffee, good internet, clean and great working bathroom (waterfall type showerhead), very “green friendly). By the way, if you want to sleep late, the room can be made so dark, you will not even know that it is daytime.

The main focus of this place is Mother Nature.... the grounds and surrounding area allows you to escape the "real" world.

Food: The food choices are massive, affordable and excellent! You could sit outside and watch the ocean or just gaze at the vista of natural and native California..... Beautiful....

Bring: Binoculars.... sweater or jacket (can get a bit chilly)....walking shoes, to explore

Do: Take a visit to downtown Santa Cruz, Carmel by the sea, and of course play a round at Pebble or Pajura Dunes......

Don't: Expect ultra-luxury rooms, but do expect luxury products, food, service etc.

This place gets it...preserve your natural surroundings, use local, native and organic items when possible. Why pay for silver coffee pots, granite floors or real gold lamps when you can get platinum level service, food and amenities instead.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank wealthyone_1
ChaminadeResort, General Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review! You glowing comments about our service, amenities and your overall experience are much appreciated. Looking forward to welcoming you back - Kevin Herbst - Chaminade Resort & Spa - General Manager

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I love my wife and we celebrate many things together but this year I decided to trade in the drudgery of being commanded by a date on a calendar to perform like a trained seal in the romance department. I moved Valentine's Day to January 14th.

Thus I created a wonderful opportunity to surprise my wife and choosing the Chaminade to do that was just a lucky break. The place is less than three miles from our home, but in the Santa Cruz area, that distance can take you from the beach on Monterey Bay to the redwoods in the hills where Chaminade sits atop a high hill overlooking the sea.

You can read a lot more about the place in the reviews already available. This review is about customer service that transforms an experience from one where making your mate happy is a reasonable hope to matrimonial magicland.

I simply asked the person at the front desk to consider an absurd request that they pass along a message. I asked if the person could ask the wait person at dinner to simply say to Carina as we sat down to eat, "Happy Valentine's Day!"

That request delivered something special that we will remember for a long time. The server came and said without hesitation, "Happy Valentine's Day!" to Carina while placing a plate of seashell shaped chocolates on the table.

He then placed two champagne glasses on the table and when he returned with a bottle of champagne, I asked if there was perhaps a mis-communication because we did not order champagne.

He replied, "The front desk asked us to give you this."

And so, I then became, if but only for an evening, THE BEST HUSBAND IN THE WORLD.

Here it what I say to you,Chaminade.

Thanks.

Room Tip: We asked to be near the ourdoor spa.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hank R
ChaminadeResort, General Manager at Chaminade Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day to you both! Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review and praises for our amazing staff. Knowing that you are only three miles away we hope to see you more often....whether it be a day at the spa or dinner for two, Chaminade will make another magicland just for you!

Kevin Herbst, General Manager