This is a hard review to write because there doesn't seem to be a lot of solid options for hotels in the area. As my wife and I drove around, we kept an eye out and the reality is there are simply mostly motels and inns.
The Casablanca is in a GREAT location. Across the street from the beach, a block down from the famous boardwalk in one direction and a half a block from the wharf in the other direction. About a mile walk and you are downtown. Sleeping to the sound of the ocean, sea lions barking, and the occasional seagull flying by is definitely a wonderful experience.
Now to the cons. The room, as has been mentioned here, is very outdated. It looks like an old tiny apartment that has been changed to a motel. There is a small kitchen with a sink, a fridge, microwave, and stove. The kitchen is more like a narrow hallway to the small bathroom. The room is very small. The locks on the door mostly don't work and the chain simply fell of the doorframe, so it was useless. The hotel needs to invest in some CLR and get the grime off the shower head. Pretty gross. The bed was not very comfortable and extremely squeaky, although the pads on the back of the bed posts to keep them from damaging the wall when being banged back and forth gave my wife and I a laugh. The furniture is minimal with a small table with 2 chairs, and a larger sitting chair which blocked the path to one side of the bed. The closet is hard to get to because of the table/chairs, and the safe in the closet did not work.
There is a very simple continental breakfast put on in the lobby. When getting some food, my pregnant wife who was with me so we could get away and relax saw a sign about the State of California acknowledging chemicals on the premises that could cause birth defects. Wonderful. We were told this is a requirement for anyone using chemicals to clean, so it was understandable. What bothered us was this sign was hidden behind a potted tree. Makes you wonder...
In the very early morning around 3 or 4 AM, we found out there are raccoons that sometimes raid the trash. How did we find out? Because we heard them? No, that would have been preferred. We found out because someone else heard them, called the front desk, and the staff member talked very loudly about it right in front of our room and woke us both up. Now, I understand the guy working the graveyard shift was probably excited to actually be able to talk to a guest, but seriously. Could you whisper or talk in the lobby?!?
This was supposed to be a relaxing stay for my wife and I because of some recent medical issues, but because of the bad room and loud staffer, I come home exhausted and actually had to pull over when driving back to the Bay Area to avoid falling asleep at the wheel.
It's hard to write this because the location is so great, but I have to tell the truth.
This is a review of a beach view room and not a bungalow which, according to other reviews, seems to be the place to stay but with no view. I got this room on Hotwire but had I paid the full price of $250 I would have been upset. My wife still felt ripped off.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historical Casablanca Inn is strategically located across the street from the Santa Cruz beach, a block away from the wharf and the boardwalk. All our rooms are beautifully decorated and have a breathtaking view of the beach. Some of our rooms have a unique design which reflects the distinct character of the historic Cerf Mansion. Over the years, the Casablanca Inn has been fortunate enough to cater to some of the most influential and famous personalities of our time, which has immensely appreciated the elegance that our hotel has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelClick, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and getaroom.com so you can book your Casablanca Inn on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casablanca Inn & Bistro Hotel Santa Cruz
- Casablanca Inn And Bistro
- Casa Blanca Hotel
- Casa Blanca Motel