“Great Location, but....”

Casablanca Inn on the Beach
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The good...this hotel is only a short walk from the boardwalk, the beach, the pier, and a number of restaurants. In addition, it was a perfect location for us participating in the Santa Cruz Sprint Triathlon...the hotel being only a 10-minute walk from the transition area. The bad...the room was simply old, outdated, and uncomfortable. First, our room was street level...we could hear everything and everyone that passed by. If you decide to stay here, you may want to request a room away from the street. The hotel's response to the room temperature was..."open the windows". The front security gate to the room broke and we had to help the hotel staff remove the deadbolt to exit the room. The bathroom was filthy, most evident in the uncleaned commode...to say it courteously. We would not recommend this hotel and would stay somewhere else next time we visit Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bonsai3s
Francisco A, Manager at Casablanca Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Allow us to tell you that we are deeply saddened that we were unable to make your stay with us a pleasant and wonderful one. It is truly unfortunate that you did not take the option of taking one of our other roomns or suites which has been greatly appreciated by most of our guests. The street level room is normally taken by very young group of people who like to be directly across the beach area, or simply people who are on a limited budget since this room is the least expensive in the property. Upon check in, had this room not been to your liking after visually seeing it, you would have had the option to go somewhere else more suitable to your taste and budget, but apparently you decided to take it and consumate your stay. As always, we take all the comments of our guests very seriously so we shall look into your concerns, but rest assured, we do have our valued and loyal guests who will time and again come back, and appreciate the value of our historical property. We do wish you well, and hope that you find something which would be able to meet your requirements. Our best wishes to you always...

There are newer reviews for Casablanca Inn on the Beach

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Over the past 10 years Ive stayed in many of the motels, Inns and even the beautiful Dream Inn...but this was by far our FAVORITE of all! The staff (including front desk, the owner, maid, lounge) that i spoke to in passing were very friendly. We stayed in a bungalow on beach st. & have to say...i hated to leave. Thank you Casa Blanca!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank kcantelinenunes
Francisco A, Manager at Casablanca Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Allow us to thank you for your truly heartwarming comments about our hotel, our staff and your stay, it is so very much appreciated and we are sincerely grateful. It is wonderful guests like you who make our existence in this industry truly worthwhile, and we hope that you will come back some time in the not so distant future so we can be of service to you again. Our best wishes to you always...

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Well we just back from our vacation to Santa Cruz and other areas in California and had a wonderful time showing it to our three granddaughters. We try someplace different each year.
I wanted to let you know our hotel experience will be something to remember, we showed up with out a reservation to be told only one room left, the girls where tired and I let the front desk person know there would be 5 people, she said had one room left which had a king size bed and a day bed with a trundle beneath it..PERFECT...we stayed for two days and nights and enjoyed ourselves, and loved waking to the sea lions barking by the pier..The beds where very nice and comfortable and room was clean and well furnished with kitchen items if needed..we didnt because I was not cooking.. I was on vacation, but nice if needed..The attractions close by include two light houses, which show a lot of history, but did not make it to the surfboard museum , we wanted to see the surfboard that Mike and Frank donated from the show Pickers..
The Ocean was very pretty and the girls played in the surf..This hotel offered a lot of amenities and suggestions, we want to thank the staff for making this vacation one the girls will remember

Room Tip: Rooms where a bit pricey but when you want right by the beach and no reservations, you can't com...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Penny B
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Please allow us to thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel and your stay, it is very much appreciated and we are truly grateful. It is wonderful guests like you who make our existence in this industry, despite the challenges of the times, truly worthwhile. We are truly happy that we were able to make your stay with your grand daughters a fun and memorable one. We look forward to having you again with us some time in the not so distant future. Our heartfelt best wishes to you and your family always...

Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is the first time in my life I've ever checked out of a place and told them it was horrible. I say this to explain that I DON'T tend to nitpick. But, my visit to Santa Cruz will always be colored by my terrible experience at the Casablanca Inn.

Not that it was all bad. The room decor was decent enough, and the staff at the desk was friendly. That's where it ends, though.

One side of our room abutted an enclosed lounge, which overlooked the ocean. So, we had a great view -- for a few minutes, till people came and sat in chairs in the lounge right in front of our window! Not only was our view blocked, but we were now privy to their whole conversation, AND we felt like animals in a zoo, right on display. We had to close our curtains. Bye bye, ocean view; hello, dark and oppressive room. (We could still hear everyone talking in the lounge, meanwhile. And, all our windows rattled every time someone closed a door in that area.)

Then...I would love to find out what was above our room, because it sounded like people were dragging furniture along the floor up there. Over and over again. Lovely and oh so relaxing.

And, as if all those noises weren't enough, we were right next to the lobby, leading to the wonderful experience of being awakened at 1:15 a.m. by a loud guest. I kept thinking the person surely had to shut up, or leave, at any moment -- but it went on for 20 minutes, till I finally called the front desk. Thankfully, that did the trick.

By the way, obviously we were only privy to what our own room looked like. But, being right next to the lobby enabled us to hear a woman complaining to the front desk that when she booked an accommodation with a "living room," she didn't expect that to mean an area with nothing but a couch, and that this was a huge letdown.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the small parking lot, which had no spots when we first arrived. What a welcome, in an area with no street parking! We came back about 15 minutes later, to find a space, and then were afraid to leave again, lest we get shut out once more. So, there went our planned dinner with relatives.

But, the worst part: the manager. You know how management can make or break how you view an experience, in hindsight? This guy just made everything far worse! From the minute I called, after my return home -- BEFORE I even explained the nature of my call -- I was treated with such suspicion and arrogance! What company was I from? What? I was a guest? Now? No? When? What was my name? What was my room number? (Pause, while all this was verified through paperwork, apparently! I mean...do they get a lot of people calling, pretending to have stayed there?! You'd have thought I was calling his personal home number.)

After that bad start, it went downhill. The manager basically couldn't care less about any of my complaints. He stated that they'd done all they could about the loud guest at night. (True enough that when I called the front desk, the conversation abated, but when you know there's a room right next to the lobby, why don't you make sure people are quiet at 1:00 a.m. in the first place?!) And he had no comment about the noise from above our room, or from the lounge. He also felt our non-view (due to having to close the curtains) wasn't out of line with the price we'd paid, since other rooms with better views cost more. Well, we travel often, and it is no stretch to say that this was one of the worst "values" we've ever received for our money.

This manager could take some lessons in friendliness and helpfulness from his own front desk staff.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Travelfan32655
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Allow me once again to apologize to you just as I did during our last conversation when you mentioned about the issues that you had with the view from your room, and a problem with one of our guests who was checking in quite late at night who supposedly made a lot of noise, which our Front desk staff took care of. We have tried everything humanly possible to take care of every single issue that is brought to our awareness especially if it is within the parameters of what we are responsible for. Unfortunately during the summer weekends all beach front hotels in Santa Cruz will obviously be extremely full which can sometimes cause a bit of noise to other people, such as yourself, and at that point provided the noise is not made after 10 p.m. then we really cannot do much except to tell them to quiet down. If I recall the conversation with you was quite civil, and not at all unpleasant especially after explaining our stand on the issues that you brought to my attention. Had the given view, the volume of the conversation of our other full paying guests, and the noise that another checking in guests made late at night, been within our control then we would have done a whole lot more, unfortunately as I had told you we can only do so much. We are saddened that you have had an unpleasant stay with us, and I do hope that sometime in the not so distant future you find another hotel which will be able to meet your requirements and expectations. Our sincerest best wishes to you always...

Reviewed June 18, 2012

My first thought upon entering was "What's that smell?" but felt hopeful after meeting the incredibly friendly and helpful staff at check in. Sadly, my hope was short-lived. Our room overlooked the sea, a blessing in that it allowed me to look out the window and try to ignore my room. The room was tiny (and I live in Europe - if it was tiny by European standards, it's miniscule by American) and so very not nice. I've stayed in nicer, cleaner hostels.

If you're 18, going to Santa Cruz with friends and want a place close to the sea basically just to sleep, it's fine. If you're in your 30's and on your honeymoon, avoid! Up your budget and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank parklife77
Francisco A, Manager at Casablanca Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Allow me to say thank you for your feedback about your hotel room, our staff and your stay, it is very much appreciated, and rest assured that we take your comments very seriously. We do have a variety of rooms and suites in the hotel which are quite large, and overlooking the Santa Cruz Beach. Depending on what your budget was, and the type of room that you chose, it does sound like you got one of our standard rooms, and we only have 2 of these particular type which we normally reserve for a particular wholesaler which also promotes our property, or guests who wishes to have the least expensive accomodation that they can find. We do hope that you will come back again soon, and this time choose one of our suites which may be more to your liking, so we can make your next stay with us a much better one. Our best wishes to you always...

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Great service ,clean , beautiful veiw ,easy walk to the board walk the beach it's an easy walk to almost anywhere in Santa Cruz and the workers there are helpful and nice . I will for shure go there only

• Stayed: July 2011
Francisco A, Manager at Casablanca Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

Allow me to thank you for your wonderful comments about the hotel, the staff and your stay with us, it is very much appreciated and we are sincerely grateful. We look forward to your next visit so we can be of service to you once again and make your stay an even better one. Our heartfelt best wishes to you always...

Reviewed May 24, 2012

We found this lovely spot just by chance. Our room-#17 has a great view of the pier and beach. It is a old fashioned wonderful room. I was told it was built in the early 1800's. Things are clean and they serve great coffee in the morning. Friendly nice staff. Lucky me.

Room Tip: room 17 had a great view and it was quite reasonable
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barbara W
Francisco A, Manager at Casablanca Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Please allow us to thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel and our staff, it is very much appreciated and we are sincerely grateful. It is always our wish to make the stay of all our guests a truly pleasant and wonderful one, and we shall continue doing so. We look forward to having you here with us again soon, and making your next stay an even better one. Our best wishes to you always...