“Little Lina Goes To College!”

Marianne's Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 21 Dessert in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Arcadia, California
“Little Lina Goes To College!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

Wow! I am passionate about Ice Creme and Marianne's is excellent. The shop is cash only and gets busy in a hurry and clears out just as fast. Locals tourists aplenty! When it's busy happy sounds abound. Enter on the left grab a number (IMPORTANT) take a step out side and read the menu board then either sample a flavor or two then place your order.If you try to many when it's busy expect to hear a chorus of make up your mind! My daughter goes to UCSC so over the next four years I plan to eat my way through the menu. Rich, decadent,creamy ICOULD GO ON ! A must stop if you really want good old fashioned ice creme.On the down side parking is not easy to find and the locale is so so.If it's to busy pass by later it really does empty out as fast as it fills.Enjoy.

1 Thank MWM1958

Oakland, California
“Great flavors and texture”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

A Santa Cruz scene. In some ways heavens back to the 50's. Cute with the teen/tween crowd.c. Enthusiastic scoopers. Not an Excellent location, though

Visited July 2014
San Jose, CA
“Flavors and quantity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Variety of flavors to choose from and a generous portion. We were able to split a single serving in a cup. We had Maple Nut which was to die for. They also have many unusual flavors like lavender, ginger, and chocolate coconut. There is ample seating. Convenient location just before highway 17. A must stop before driving over the hill home to the bay area!

San Jose, California
“Marianne's Ice Cream - A Santa Cruz Institution”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

I know, I know, only 3 stars. Why? You ask? I'll tell you. My family and I live in San Jose. We go to Santa Cruz as often as we can to hang it at the beach. It is a family tradition to stop by Marianne's on the way home and get an ice cream. The reason the place receives 5 stars is that the ice cream is AWESOME! This is the best ice cream you'll ever lick. There are so many flavors with so many different combinations of flavors, it's mind boggling. Fortunately or unfortunately, the giant line allows you to peruse the menu to decide which flavors you want to sample. There's a number system so you're sure to be helped in the order you arrived if you're sure to grab a number right when you walk in. The line moves pretty fast because there are plenty of employees serving up the yumminess. The parking is tight but we always manage to find a spot. Ok, why the 3 stars...the bathroom is gross. They have recently installed a coding system to enter the bathroom to keep non-paying customers out. I expected that the new system would've lent to a bathroom remodel, it didn't. Hardly any toilet paper. Gross floor. Ugh. A second reason for the 3 stars, the place smells upon entry. It just smells rank. This gets you looking around to see that no $$ has gone into the upkeep of Marianne's. They earn so much money, you'd think they'd keep the place cleaner and put some money into the interior. It hasn't changed since I've been going there in the 80's. Having said all that, you still need to try it and judge for yourself.

1 Thank DNSarg
Penryn, California
“Ya gotta stop here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I LOVE ice cream and I know my way around a scoop. This place is amazing. The line looks long but the service is fast and so friendly. I had the pumpkin....oh so good. The blackberry was very good as were the chocolate shakes. I will go out if my way to return here.