“Very fresh ingredients with bright flavors!”
Review of Malabar Cafe

Malabar Cafe
Ranked #80 of 388 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Indian, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This neat little cafe had a nice family taking care of business in an unpretentious and friendly way. My service was not slow, and I went on a Wednesday night. The ingredients seemed super fresh, the arugula salad with beets and lemon dressing was crisp and bright. I also had the enormous crispy crepe/pancake with fresh vegetables and condiments. I loved the mango chutney and the mint dressing. The lentil soup was too spicy for me, but maybe I am a lightweight.

1  Thank MermaidUndertheOcean

Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

I do not know if they're understaffed, but the service was painfully bad: I had to ask, after 15 minutes of waiting, for my order to be taken. Fortunately my plate got there quickly, and it was very good. However, my dirty plate stayed there in the table for 20 minutes. They never asked if I wanted something for dessert. Again I had to beg to pay so I could leave. Bad service. At least the food was good.

1  Thank Fejikso
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Expected some good things. Except for a brief interaction with one of the waiters, staff seemed indifferent & not welcoming. The mgr practically threw food on table. Eggplant dish was swimming in oil. Pumpkin dish was a bit chalky. Samoosas were mediocre. Mango lassi was good. Would not go back.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Really, this has got to be one of the best restaurants to serve vegetarian food I've ever been at and I started in the 60's.

The menu is varied, imaginative and extremely fresh and flavorful. Everything I had was very good to great. My favorite: the "Steak Diane."

A couple of caveats: The sound level is very "bright." The service is attentive and kind but the food comes out veeery slowly. If you're dining alone bring "War and Peace." If not then enjoy the company and anticipate great joy of the mouth, heart, and stomach.

2  Thank wk542
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Cool ambience, unpretentious, fresh locally sourced ingredients.