“Fresh fish, amazing ocean views”
Review of Riva Fish House

Riva Fish House
Ranked #9 of 377 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: What started as a fish market has ended up an amazing dish restaurant and bar. At Riva Fish House, we offer a view with flavor. Dine at our seaside haven on the Municipal Wharf in Santa Cruz today! When we gave up the fish market for the restaurant, our objective was to turn out the best possible meal at a cost working people with a family could afford. That didn't mean something they could handle but under stress. It meant, and still means, a really good meal and beverages at a really comfortable price. Our loyal and friendly staff now serves some of the best, award-winning seafood around. Voted Santa Cruz's Best Seafood Restaurant, we offer something for everyone. Try our chowder, fish tacos, zucchini fries, or a killer crab sandwich. Big hunks of juicy tasty crab, seasoned to perfection, served on sourdough bread hand-made and baked to Riva's exacting specifications, with cheese of your choice, grilled and hot for your body. It's probably good for your mind, too. Wash that down with a craft beer or handmade cocktail. Finish off your experience by trying some of our 12 flavors of delicious, creamy gelato that is sure to please. Stop by and dine with us soon. You'll walk in with a smile. You'll walk out with a grin.
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Great views of the bay. Fresh seafood, menu changes with the catch. Staff was friendly; service was prompt. We really enjoyed our meal and enjoying the gorgeous views!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

For many years when I lived in Santa Cruz, Riva Fish House was my "go to" place - for dinner with friends, family, and out of town visitors. The Wharf view in the early evening with the sun setting was lovely, and it was also a great place for a relaxed date night. The food was fresh, consistent, and a good bargain for the quality. But in more recent times when dining there with my husband I have been sadly unimpressed - the fish didn't taste fresh, the execution of the dishes was inconsistent, and the service uneven. I will probably wait a bit and try again - hard to say goodbye to an old friend.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We have generally had good experiences at Riva Fish House, but I had a particularly bad meal a few weeks ago which lowered my satisfaction. My daughters and I went to Riva for a quick lunch, and I ordered the snapper sandwich with fries. The sandwich was terrible, having been grilled on a not very clean grill so that the only flavor was burned food. The fish had stuck to the grill, so the sandwich arrived with a pile of recovered fish flakes on a hard sourdough roll. It was so poorly presented, and tasted so terrible, that I was tempted to send it back (and I never send stuff back.)

Here's a suggestion for Riva: if the fish doesn't have much flavor to begin with, don't broil it on a dirty grill. Try sauteing the filet instead, perhaps with a little garlic. And please spice up your tartar sauce so that if the fish lacks taste, you can still doctor it with sauce.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Nice choice of seafood, amongst other things, with a great view near the end of the pier.
Watch out for the seagulls though!
Staff were very friendly

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Very reasonable priced fresh seafood & drinks. Very nice view by the end of the pier. Staff were friendly.