“Good food”
Review of Oswald

Oswald
Reserve with OpenTable
Oswald is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 377 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We were looking for somewhere in Santa Cruz for a nice meal and were told that this is possibly the best dining in town.

My wife started with the Dungeness crab and Avocado and I had the Abalone. We both then had the fish stew. This was a light broth with prawns, a massive scallop and a piece of salmon. The food was very nice, well presented and tasty. Our server was polite and efficient. However, we thought that the restaurant itself lacked ambience. It was not too busy at the time that we ate, but we could imagine that when it is full, the noise levels must be very high indeed.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Oswald is chic but casual. You can go there on a date, with friends, or with family. The food is consistently satisfying and delicious. I suggest checking out the bar menu in addition to the main menu --there are some nice treats on it. Some highlights: crab with avocado, cauliflower soup, fried chicken, rack of lamb. For dessert, I highly recommend the vanilla crème brulee.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We definitely enjoyed our dinner at this place, everything we ordered was cooked to perfection and looked like a piece of art. From salads to soups and pasta to fish - all tasted super yummy!
Signature drinks (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic) were delicious and definitely worth a try.
My only two complaints: this restaurants appeared to be way too loud to be able to carry on conversation without yelling over the noise. The restaurant also appears to be located in some shady part of the town and didn't look too safe to be walking outside in the evening. I would definitely either drive there or get a taxi.

1  Thank kismika
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Saturday night at Oswald Rest in Santa Cruz: make reservations, enjoy food, fun but very noisy, forget meaningful conversation. Since the bar area wraps around the restaurant the convivial and noisy crowd at the bar dominates the noise level and makes conversation at the table quite difficult. Although they appeared to have added some sound deadening carpet since our last visit, it's still quite noisy. On to the food. Started with the arugula salad with beets, absolutely excellent and I'm not much of a beet fan. My sweetheart ordered the seafood stew which had a variety of shellfish and was tasty. I ordered the roasted rack of lamb with potato gratin which also was quite tasty but consisted of only a few small lamb chops (I think the use of "rack" is a misnomer here). The food was great but the portions were on the small side considering the cost. It might be better to visit this restaurant on a week night as it might be quiet enough to carry on a conversation.

1  Thank mrmikeSantaCruz
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Came across this place by accident while walking by, the tables were full so figured this was a good sign. The food was unique and delicious. The service was spectacular. Tasty coctails, good beer and wine selections. Have the chocolate souffle!!!