Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed here for night on our trip around the bay area and liked it. The gentleman behind the counter was friendly when we walked in and our room was fine. Good large bed and it was clean. Breakfast was included, it was pretty much the standard fare.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank terbang

Reviewed June 27, 2014

The staff at the Comfort Inn are very rude, and lazy. In the room my kids were staying in the heater was putting out a horrible smell. I called the office and told them about it and they told me it was normal. I then asked for an extra blankets for my kids and got an attitude from them. I did not understand why getting an extra blanket would cause so much trouble. I am home now and when I went to check my bank account I noticed the hotel charged me an additional $30. So far every time I try to find out why I have this charge I get put on hold, and no one comes to the phone.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Jnbsnow
prince926, General Manager at Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. If you turn on heater in summer it always smells for few minutes because it has not been used in summer for a long time. That's why we said it's normal and another thing about balnkets, as per your request we had provided two balnkets and if you wanted more you should have asked us and we would have gladly provided more.

Extra $30.00 charge was for the dirty stains on towels which you had used for cleaning spilled coffee.You should not use clean towels to wipe your mess, if you would have asked for rags we would've provided it to you.

kirti patel
Manager
Comfort Inn
831-471-9999

Reviewed June 18, 2014

This place was walking distance to beach and boardwalk. Rooms are small, but clean. Place is older, but well kept. Pool is small, but clean. Good value for this place. Breakfast was coffee and Danish. Staff was all very friendly, evening when we arrived and morning to check out. I would stay again here.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank darmar01
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I took my two boys on a surprise trip to Santa Cruz. I am a avid researcher when it comes to where to stay. The reviews plus price/location added up for me (and Excel) for this Comfort Inn.

When we arrived I could not figure out where to park. There was simply no place. The owner came out and showed me where I could (illegally) park. Um. OK.

The room was reserved and the lobby was very clean. The staff was helpful and kind. We got to the room and it was standard, newly remodeled. Granite counter tops, tiled bathroom, flat screen TV. Very comfortable beds. Both firm and soft pillows. Very clean. No dresser though, just a laminate bookcase. Good closet space.

The boardwalk is 2 blocks away. There are two convience stores along the way that sell everything.

We slept very well that night, the curtains were not quite dark enough, there are blackout shades, but they let in light. So I used one of the pants hangers to clip the half thick drapes shut. It was very dark after that. We all slept so well.

Breakfast was mediocre. Good fresh fruit. Good typical waffles (also blueberry offered), toast, coffee (only half and half offered). The eggs were á la Egg McMuffin. Circular with yolk intact inside. Ugh. The sausage was slimy and inedible. Juice was OK, cereal was not stale and good yogurt selection.

Water pressure was phenomenonal, shallow tub, unusable for an adult soak. Their shampoo was like water. Bring your own. Towels were huge, fluffy and adequate.

Checking out was a snap. Staff was very friendly throughout and asked me to review here. Would stay here again for sure. I actually drove around and checked out the other motels that were similarly priced and ugh, I would be weary of them. Stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Yosemitejoy
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed at the Comfort Inn for 2 days in May in a Twin Bedroom. The rooms have been refurbished recently, the beds were supercomfy with a choice of 2 different pillows and proper duvets. Everything was really clean and nicely decorated. The room could have been bigger but in the end the actual size was perfectly sufficient.
The distance to the beach is just perfect, just a couple of minutes walk and you're at the boardwalk.
There is a light breakfast in the morning with toast, eggs, sausage, cereal, pancakes, fruit, yoghurt and coffee which was a good start into the day.
Staff was very helpful and friendly. The pool is located directly in the parking lot which is a bit strange but seems to be quite common. The pool is tiny and wasn't as clean as it should be. Anyway it was too windy and cold to take a swim.
All in all very good value for money and a top location.

Room Tip: As for rooms on the first floor but only if you don't mind walking a couple of stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ninusca
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here forgone night on a road trip. It was what we expected for the price. It was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was included and was a nice touch.
Location is brilliant. You pay for what you get and we thought it was on the money.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Volkswagenjon
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a road trip home and while the beds are nice n comfy and location to beach n boardwalk is great the cleanliness was not so great. There was hair in the bed on the pillows stains on our sheets and that was the second room the first smelt like cigarette smoke. Staff was ok not the above and beyond type of customer service i would expect. Very bad parking . Breakfast was ok. The ac in a room didnt work...had to set it to 60 just to get it on and we all sweat all night long. When u pay for the room u are paying for location ...room is a 60-70 dollar room and very small size wise.

• Stayed: April 2014