“Great Stay”

Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Grand Forks BC
“Great Stay”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Did not have a room booked for our night stay on our way home to Canada but came across this motel. Room was clean and the location very close to the boardwalk.The owner did everything he could to make our stay a pleasent one. From giving us what he thought would be the quietest room ,to letting us park close to the office because of the stuff we had packed in our car his service and politness was amazing. When he found out we were from Canada he made sure we knew his phone plan had unlimited calling to Canada. In all of our travels we have never been treated so well by anyone in a Hotel or Motel.

Room Tip: We like to stay on the second floor so we don't hear people walking above us.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Hebrew first
Healdsburg
Reviewed April 11, 2013

At first we wondered "how great can a two star motel be?". To our surprise...."what more do we need?". Our room was comfortable, warm, cozy, clean. We wanted to steal the pillows! The people at the front were kind and courteous. Ken allowed us to check in early. We were one block from the boardwalk. It may have been early in the season but we had no traffic, no crowds, no drunks or crazy kids causing raucous. We had the beach and boarwalk to yourselves to enjoy. No waiting to be seated at restaurants and the best weather we could ask for! They even had a hot breakfast!
The only con....the swimming pool is the size of a four person hot tub! ...and not yet opened!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda R
Chico, California
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I wasn't expecting much, but was COMPLETELY SURPRISED by the incredible service, the comfy beds and feather-soft pillows. I brought my own pillow and never used it! The gentleman at the front desk was very helpful. When I arrived, he popped outside to help me park my car. He handled check in/out issues, and breakfast set up/take down with efficiency, ease and genuine friendliness. The location may seem "iffy" at first. Don't be deceived. The locals don't bite. And it's only a block and a half from the Boardwalk. If you're not looking for the Ritz and just want a clean, comfortable hotel for a great bargain, stop thinking about it, and book the Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk now!

Room Tip: Definitely book an upper level room!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I think the customer service at this place is amazing. I had lost my phone and the lady at the front desk was fantastic. She let me use her phone as well as her computer to try and locate it. She went above and beyond anything that was required of her to help me out. I couldn't recommend this place more. It is very conveniently located and you will be glad you stayed here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

After looking at many hotels and motels on line we decided on the Comfort Inn at the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz. For being an older hotel close to the boardwalk and heavily used, it is in excellent repair.

The rooms were not perfect but were very clean and well maintained - keep in mind is an older motel - but the rooms all smelled and looked clean - there was a spot on our shower curtain which is why I did not rate it a 5 - if I could I would give it a 4 1/2.. The towels are very nice and fluffy. The location, while not beachfront, is two blocks from boardwalk and a good location for being close to everything around the beach. West Cliff Drive and the wharf.

My teens, who are very picky and have no filter, were comfortable in their room.

The Front desk manager, who I think is also the general manager, is incredibly nice and attentive. He made sure our stay was comfotable.

We did an advance purchase rate through being a Choice Hotel member for one room and got a fantastic deal, and paid regular rate for another room which was also quite reasonable.

We did not have breakfast there as we had read fantastic things about "The Buttery" and chose to go there instead.

Next time we go back to Santa Cruz, I am either going to try and book beachfront or stay at this Comfort Inn again. I would have no reservations about staying there.

• Stayed March 2013
Cotati
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Had a great time, great room, there were some kids coming in at 2 am from the bars the front desk took care of them quick before I could even call. Great breakfast with waffles. Very easy going location with clean rooms.

• Stayed March 2013
Eaton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I rate based on what I pay, so give it 5 stars. It was clean, comfortable and quiet with plenty of amneties. Only a few minutes walk and we were at the boardwalk. It wasn't warm enough to swim, but the pool is really small if that matters to you. The beach is not far away. We recommend this hotel if you are staying in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple