“Pleasant surprise!”

Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Turlock, California
“Pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had no expectations when I booked this property. I wanted somewhere close to the boardwalk. This was about a 5 minute walk. We had 2 queen size beds. The room was very clean. The beds were comfortable. You could tell that they kept up the building. They were very nice at the front desk. It was a nice place to stay for the price. Location was really great!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We did not have a pleasant experience. We made reservations a couple months before arriving. We attempted to check in early several times and we were told no rooms were available yet. When we did check in, late evening, we were given a key to a room. Upon opening the door to the room, we found a bed which had clearly been used, pillows propped up by someone to put their head on, and the TV on. On the bed stand, was a tall bottle of open Whisky. We went downstairs to the lobby and told the night manager that the room had clearly been used. She found that hard to believe and said she was going to go back to the room with us and take a look. She walked to the room with us and opened the door and offered to turn of the TV, pull up the sheets, and lay the pillows flat so that, in her opinion, we could sleep in it. I reminded her that the sheets were clearly used, someone had been sleeping in the bed, and that the shower, toilet, and floors were dirty. I asked her why we would want to sleep in a dirty, used room! She said she had no other rooms, but she would check the computer. Upon checking the computer, she found a room on the other side of the motel and handed us the key. We walked to that room and found it reeking of cigarette smoke. It was clearly one of the smoking rooms and we had made quite a point of needing a non-smoking room. It was now after midnight and we walked back to the night manager. She said she had no more rooms. Again, upon checking the computer, she found a room at the far end of the motel and handed us the key. We were so tired, we needed to sleep and we hoped that this third room would be acceptable. It was acceptable, but not pleasant! There were broken tables and chairs piled up near the door of the third room. Upon entering the room, the air was hot and stuffy. We turned on the ac which did not work in the first bedroom. Plaster was crumbling from some areas of the room. A large plastic lighting fixture was stained and discolored. As the time approached 1AM, we just had to sleep. By morning, we had seen 3 rooms which were run down. The motel was full and is in close proximity to both UCSC campus and the beach. Great location, not attractive. We will not being staying here again!

Stayed June 2013
3 Thank N W

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Fresno, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

The good things are:clean,heated pool,and waffle maker,friendly service,walking distance to dinner .The bad,high price,Jacuzzi not working,small bathroom,breakfast in the lobby(no eggs). We both did not like the coffee at all.I made last minute reservation and the hotel had high reviews.My husband thought the bed was hard.Overall,we would stay again.They are excellent at service with a smile.:)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

This Comfort Inn is right off 17 as soon as you enter Santa Cruz. Standard Comfort Inn and as usual, the emphasis is on comfort. Our room was clean, had comfortable beds and being upstairs near the back was really quiet. Good internet signal. I do really like that this Inn has vinyl compartmental blinds instead of curtains, it adds to the decor of the room (see picture.) There was a deep very noticeable scratch on the wall from the desk chair, neither the sink or tub has a stopper (the one for the tub is place on the soap tray.)

The breakfast was below standard for a Comfort Inn, very noticeable was no juice, the sausage patties were small (appears to be microwaved) and I got one that was real hard (like over microwaved.) Small breakfast eating area, we were practically eating in the lobby, we grabbed the last table which was next to the brochure rack.

Room Tip: It appears the rooms after the pool (towards the back) to be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Had an upstairs room with two comfortable, double beds. They just finished a remodel and did a good job. Several lamps, lots of pillows, good internet access, closet, hair dryer, plenty of hot water, microwave and mini fridge. Complimentary breakfast with sausage, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, fruit, pastries, cereal, and waffles. Small eating area in the office and seating could be a problem, when they're busy. Centrally located and easy access to Hwy 1. Pool area looks well maintained, but it was too cold to swim while we were there. Heater came on once, and it was noisy.

Room Tip: I alway prefer upstairs, so you don't have any kids above you running on your ceiling.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RobinC21
Nampa, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

On the + side, it was clean and quiet. We had a renovated room. The motel is renovating so the was no office up front,we had to look for it. Breakfast was a laugh...but we did not go hungry.
Bed and pillows we good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Luis Obispo, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

So I made my reservation for my second recent stay there. My first trip did not go well, but I thought I would try again, since my favorite Santa Cruz hotel was booked. I called the around noon to confirm my reservation and try to ensure they didn't put me into a smoking room as before. When I arrived, it was late and I went to my room to find the sheets looked dirty, with a few hairs as wrinkles that were not common to a hotel bed. I was tired and just asked for new sheets. The desk clerk could nto find new sheets so he "upgraded" me to a jacuzzi room that had a broken jacuzzi(never tested for myself). I inspected the bed again and it was clean, well sort of. The linens had been washed and smelled fresh, but there were stains on the pillow cases. I was rudely wakened by what appeared to be a manager, or owner yelling at contractors outside my door at 8 am. The yelling didn't stop so I walked down to get breakfast. Breakfast was horrid! The sausages were hard, cold grease patties, the coffee was undrinkable, and the only thing I found I could eat was the packaged cheese. Ironically all the over sized pickups crammed into "compact' labels spaces forced me to park in the far corner of the lot and left half empty spaces near my room. This place is looks great and has a good location, but is a gamble on how bad it will be. Only stay here if you are willing to complain until you are happy; me I will just go else where.

Room Tip: rooms farther from the office may be quieter?
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo