“beyond belief”

Oceana Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #46 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I went in with low expectations. Paid $113.00.Disgusting with even worse service. Bugs, plugged sink, wet floor. their solution was to put towels over disgusting mystery wet spot. Towels and advice "don't go barefoot in room". Owners words. Owner was obviously a broken man due to the the constant bull he had to deal with. No excuse he was incredibly rude the room was probably criminally dirty, If not it should be a crime. If room is offered free, my advice move on down the road

Room Tip: Stay away from this. Its worse than you think
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank john b
There are newer reviews for Oceana Inn Santa Cruz

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I first chose this hotel for the price, worried why it was cheaper than most.
Well I was pleasantly surprised!! This is a wonderful hotel with nice staff and excellent location. So convenient to go downtown right on Soquel. Quiet rooms. Nice beds. I'd recommend this to friends and family, can't beat the price, too !! I'll come again when I can ! My new spot !

Room Tip: Upstairs inside the locked hallway, those rooms are nice !
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ajita_Krishna_Das
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I recently stayed here and found blood on the bathroom wall, blood on the curtains and worst of all, blood on my pillow!!!! We were refused and sort of compensation when brought to managments attention and the owner left town to avoid the situation! This place has the worst customer service ever! They did not even give me a replacement pillow for the bloody one! Do not stay here unless you enjoy being disgusted! Whats worse as we paid $180.00 for the night as it was a holiday weekend!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank pinkkirby
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The average rating I give this could go down if you are pickier than I am. I want good price, clean accommodations and quiet sleep. The room was fairly quiet, but there was an air conditioner in the next room that kicked on every hour for about 15 minutes all night long. That woke me again and again. The room smelled like mold which had been ineffectively cleaned, a kind of carpet cleaner/mold essence, no getting around that. They staff gave us extra blankets (we got the last two) it was a very cold night, that was nice. The desk staff were very friendly. Beds (2 queens) were clean and comfortable. TV was a small old school CRT type with few channels and bad reception. We made do with the food channel. "Continental Breakfast" is weak coffee, toast, OJ and two kinds of cereal, served on top of a small credenza, no seating.
The price was 69.00 but with tax went up to 82.00 which I thought was laughable, but we are in Santa Cruz, so even a shack would be pricier here. The motel is just across the river from all the fun stuff, a 5 minute drive, so proximity to everything you want to do here is very good.

Room Tip: Room 261 is right next to a "lounge area" and right above the ice machine and a very loud...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My adult son and I spent two nights at the Oceana Inn, August 15-16, 2013, and it was definitely not worth the price. On the 15th (Thursday) the room cost $89.00 and on Friday the room jumped to $189.00! I guess the best way to describe why I didn't think it was worth the price would be to let me count the ways. (1) The soap was the size individually wrapped mints that you'd get at Dennys. (2) The bottom sheet on my son's bed was about a foot too short exposing the mattress cover. (3) The two pillows that were provided were all lumpy and hard as a rock. (4) While taking a shower, the water went from hot to cold and then to too hot if someone apparently flushed the toilet. (5) The Continental breakfast consisted of Fruit Loops, Raisin Brand and white bread with barely enough room for two people standing up - which we choose not to partake in. (6) The mini fridge in the room did not work. Need I say more?!?!?

Room Tip: The best advice that I could give would be find another motel - this one is definitely not worth the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Christopher L
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked my hotel stay through expedia and although I entered that I wanted a room with two beds and that I was traveling with 3 kids, they charged me for the room, WAY TOO MUCH for this place and didn't charge me for the kids. When I got to the hotel there was an extra 20 dollar charge per kid for 2 out of the 3 kids. They proceeded to tell me that instead of booking through anyone to just call them next time and they would offer me a better deal. OK but then if they wanted to still give me a deal they could have waived the kids fee. They waived one ($20.) and charged $5. for early check in and another $50. deposit.

TACKY, TACKY, TACKY that they had a price list for their towels in the bathroom. I'm sure people do it but WHY? Those were the crappiest towels ever and you could get better ones anywhere else for less. Think about it Kleptos!

The room was decent. The bedding had holes all over the place, looked like cigarette burns. The water pressure was horrible and you can forget about using their internet connection, horrible too.

So they charged for everything, weren't the friendliest people on the planet and then I come back from the Boardwalk one night and there is NO parking but there is a utility truck taking up 6 spots! I went to the office and they told me they don't keep track of cars so they can't tell that guest to move their truck. They told me I could park on the street or the restaurant next door. According to my calculations... those options were completely unreasonable, especially when for a hotel like this (anywhere else considered a roach motel) charges over $100 dollars a night and extra for kids... they should at least guarantee parking.

I left the room in great condition.

Don't get me wrong, when I booked I knew I wasn't staying at a 5 star hotel but I wasn't expecting this either.

Would I stay here again?? THEY would have to pay me.

Room Tip: If you want a good room... go anywhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LUNA_NATIVA
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I can't even give this room a one star,I can't believe I had to pay 250.00 a night for this bates flea bag..It was one of the lousiest rooms I have ever stayed in. Let's begin by the holes in the blankets, the odors of mold, the actual mold in the bathroom, the plug of blow dryer, it was split in half. the beds were so hard and full of sand, the water didn't drain out of the sinks, noisy noisy, the air conditioner didn't work, the tv's were so blurry we couldn't even watch them, scared to walk on the floors for catching something, you all think I'm kidding I'm not, what a rip off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family