“Lacks Parking, Expensive”

BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
“Lacks Parking, Expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

We just stayed at this property and the overall experience was average at best. This hotel lacks parking. We arrived at 10 pm and the parking garage was full. When expressing my concern to the front desk, the clerk stated that "we only have one parking spot per room and we can not control when guests bring two or three cars". Since on-site parking is not guaranteed, that should be indicated upon booking or check in. Being pregnant and traveling with a toddler left me frustrated that we had to park off site. The hotel is going through some much needed renovations, however there is still a lot to be desired. The furnishings are outdated (old style entertainment center with a flat screen on top), the shower curtain isn't large enough to stretch across the length of the shower, the hot water ran out at 7:30 am, and our room was noisy (even though we asked for a high floor room and expressed concern about road noise), finding the front desk can be confusing, and navigating the parking garage is a challenge. The breakfast was not bad, although it was virtually the same thing each day (scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, waffles, and your typical continental breakfast stuff). Housekeeping did a good job and the initial young lady that checked us in was pleasant and professional. Overall, I am not sure that we would consider staying here again. It's overpriced considering all things.

• Stayed November 2013
BWAS95060, Guest Experience Champion at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of our property! I apologize for the lack of parking on the property. As part of our renovation we are planning on restriping the parking garage, and hopefully that will alleviate some of the parking issues in the future. We are also getting some new furnishings for the rooms, as well as renovating many of our guest bathrooms. We're putting new signage out which will help with finding the front desk from the garage as well as other areas of the property. There are so many big changes coming in the next few months. I would love to discuss them with you, if you would like to contact me anytime at cindy.mcdonald@bprproperties.com or by phone at 831-458-9898. I hope you do give us another chance to exceed your expectations!

Guest Experience Champion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I couldn't get a room at a lovely hotel nearby, and thought I could stay close for one night, on my way back to San Francisco. What a mistake. Old rooms, noisy lobby, dirty carpets, horrible breakfast. I had to move twice because of my asthma. Service was helpful but not very professional.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hank_Qu
I'm so sorry that you had such a poor experience at our property. I would love to discuss your stay in more detail and do whatever I can to make things right for you. Please feel free to contact me anytime at cindy.mcdonald@bprproperties.com or by phone at 831-458-9898.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

I was having a crises late night at the Ramada, (see my other review if you're interested), which was nearby and desperately needed a place to stay. I called up this place and a woman named Rose said they could accommodate me. Upon arrival, she greeted me at the entrance since their doors remain locked at night, and got me signed in. The entire process was seamless, and Rose was a total sweetheart. I was in town for a couple of days and enjoyed my entire stay at this hotel. The entire staff was great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
I'm so glad that after such a rough night at a different Santa Cruz hotel, that we were available to give you the night's sleep you needed! Rose really is a gem, we're grateful that she's here at night to make our guests as happy and comfortable as possible. I hope that we see you again next time you make it to the area, and I promise that no matter what time of night it is, someone will be here to let you into your room should you get locked out.

Wishing you a wonderful Holiday Season,

Tomales, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

My one-night stay was a mixture of experiencing a basically very nice, upscale property with encountering a number of individually petty annoyances and inconveniences. First, the negatives: Approach by car after dark in heavy traffic is confusing and dangerous. First parking area I turned into had three handicapped spaces and no escape except to back out into traffic. Around the corner, I discovered a tunnel into the underground garage, a series of chambers lacking in clear signs. Parked and finally found the elevator. Found my way into an empty lobby and soon noticed the unattended registration desk. Clerk appeared shortly. She was friendly, but the paperwork rather bizarre. Had to sign no-party-in-room agreement. In room (206) at last, found lamp not working (bulb unscrewed). Bedside phone not working (plug to wall outlet had minor damage). TV channel list out of date, changes had been entered by hand. Hi-tech light switches are confusing. Corridor and stair carpets needed vacuuming. Otherwise, however, the BW+ is a fine place and a bargain at the price. Rooms are large and comfortable, the breakfast very good, it's quiet, well-located and shows great promise. I'd probably stay there again, trying to arrive by daylight and not at rush hour.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
BWAS95060, Guest Experience Champion at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review. You'll be pleased to know that most of the issues you listed in your review are being addressed in our current renovation. We've already got more signage to make parking and finding the check-in desk from the parking lot easier. The TV channel list is being entered into the new guest room binders and they should be put into the rooms soon. There are a lot of changes being made to all of the public areas of the property, as well as the guest rooms.
I have put in a request for my maintenance department to check into the outlet in room 206 and I appreciate your bringing that to my attention so that it can be addressed before a future guest has the same experience. As to the party policy, I know it seems a bit odd, but Santa Cruz is a college town and we like to make sure that all of our guests are able to have a nice quiet night's sleep without worry. Truly the best thing about the party policy is knowing that all of the other guests signed it as well. I hope that I've addressed all of your concerns, and I hope to see you again soon. If there's anything I can do for you, please feel free to contact me directly at any time at Cindy.McDonald@bprproperties.com

Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

The room and breakfast were very nice. The staff was very patient and helpful. It was just a quick drive to the boardwalk. There is a Thai restaurant right across the street. This hotel seemed to be in the best area of Santa Cruz.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thanks so much for leaving us a review! I'm so glad that everyone on the staff was great and that you had a good experience in Santa Cruz! I hope you come back to see us again soon.

Santa Cruz, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

The folks who work here make this a special stay! The hotel is undergoing refurbishment and what's completed is very nice only giving a preview of how lovely the whole place will be soon. Rooms are well-decorated, very clean, comfortable...so are the beds! Love the fridge, microwave, etc.!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Wow! Thanks so much for this review! Our team really does work hard to make sure that each of our guests gets exactly what they want out of their stay here, and it's nice to know that shows! You're right about the renovation too. I look into our lobby and see the brand new breakfast furniture and business center, and it just begins to hint at how fantastic it's going to be when the work is all finished. For now we're just thrilled to have been able to introduce some new features and we can't wait to see what the finished product looks like. I hope you'll come back and see us once everything's completed so we can show off our new look!

SEBASTOPOL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

beds Need help! A very nice hotel, it needs the care in the rooms as much as the Lobby area. In room jet tube was a plus and the Breakfast was very helpful, Didn't have run out for food! It's an easy trip to the Boardwalk and a Pizza Pasta and a Tai place just a cross the street. Would stay again, would just check the mattress for wear.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWAS95060, Guest Experience Champion at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thanks so much for leaving a review on Tripadvisor! I'm so pleased to hear that most aspects of your stay were fantastic, it's really nice to have so many restaurants within a short walk from the property. And it's great to be able to get up in the morning and have a hot breakfast without having to leave the hotel. I'm so sorry about the mattress in your room. As part of our renovation we are going to be making changes to all aspects of the property, including the guest rooms. I hope that you will come visit us again and give us a chance to give you the good night's rest you deserve.