“Okay for my 1 night stay... Staff was sweet!”
Review of Best Western Inn

Best Western Inn
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Tampa, Florida
“Okay for my 1 night stay... Staff was sweet!”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Santa Cruz was a 2nd stop for my 2 week trip to California. Drove from LA area so needed a place to get some rest close to where I would be working for the 1st night. I booked this hotel because it was the least expensive of the nationwide (,in my opinion, better) brands, at the time. The day I needed to be in Santa Cruz for work, it was the lowest priced hotel so I booked it. The money that I spent on that hotel was not worth it, in my opinion, because the hotel was small, smelled funny(to me) and barely had any additional amenities. Please beware that the gym that they say they have is in a tiny room consisting of about 3 machines, they don't even look like they work but I guess that's their classification of fitness facility. The parking is limited and crammed into a small space. The lobby and breakfast area are in the same vicinity, it is also very small so when there are a few people trying to get breakfast, it is crammed and a bit uncomfortable. The room I was in, had a stained carpet that greeted me as soon as I walked in. I know hotels aren't the cleanest but that is horrible to have your guest feel like they are entering a dirty room. Is it that hard to get the carpet cleaned? Also, when I was in my room, I could hear everyone outside as my room was downstairs and near the lobby. Not good if you need a good night's rest for work. Breakfast was acceptable, it's the typical complimentary breakfast most hotels serve. There is complimentary wi-fi which is always a great thing. The best part of the hotel were the employees, most of them were super sweet and that's what made me give them a very good rating. The staff was very helpful and tried to help with my requests. It was okay for my 1 night stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ChannyJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Manahawkin, New Jersey
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Santa Cruz was our first stop in a two week trip to California. After a long day traveling this hotel gave us what we needed, a place to rest our head to a pillow. The mattresses were too soft for my liking, felt a bit like a giant marshmallow but my traveling companions had no complaints.
The room was clean. Breakfast was acceptable. The staff was friendly. Rates were much lower than properties closer to the beach.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank K S
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a few days in July and it is a good option as it is quite inexpensive (vs. other hotels in Santa Cruz), well located (3 minutes from downtown with the car - plenty of parking in downtown) and in good condition. Also, the free breakfast was very good. The only watchout is the hotel seems to respond to the vibrations of the heavy trucks passing by. Not a big deal but surprising at first. I recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank alain55_1227
Tracy, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2014

In general it was decent, and I used AAA discount so it was one of the better deals at less than $200 a night. Hotel was clean, complementary wi-fi, continental breakfast. The thing I didn't like was that the room was ok at first glance, but I tried not to look too hard at anything. The comforter had stains, and when removed there was more than one long hairs on the blanket, yuck! Also, there was no fitted sheet on the bed, just a flat sheet laid on the mattress, that was weird. Aside from that, the bed was comfortable, and the room served its purpose for us. All of the staff were excellent. Small parking lot, but we always found parking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Sidney F
Forestville, California, Usa
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Our goal was to bike in Santa Cruz and we succeeded. The hotel is located a few miles from the boardwalk but VERY close to a great bike path which goes directly to the Boardwalk. There are many bike lanes throughout Santa Cruz and Capitola which make it easy to travel. The hotel is very clean and their breakfast has many healthy options. The hotel is also quiet, which is surprising, because it is so close to the freeway. We also stayed midweek which made our trip very affordable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Boulder City, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This hotel was a great value for the money for that area. It's an expensive area. We all slept well with no noises in the night. The room had a mini refrigerator/microwave/coffee maker. The sink was outside of the bathroom so the other person could be getting ready while 1 person was showering, etc. We really enjoyed the hot breakfast to start off our day. I will stay there again when we have to go back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Pam H
APTOS, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2014

The hotel is nice and I like staying there sometimes but when i book Friday or Saturday it is usually $100 more per night. whoa! The breakfast is pretty good. My daughter liked the sausage and potatoes. The eggs smell like farts though and the bananas were green. But other than that pretty good. There was no high chair for my baby either which was sort of inconvenient.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple