“Way too far from the beach” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Inn

BEST WESTERN Inn
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Fairfax, California
“Way too far from the beach”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

126 Plymouth St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060

This hotel is listed as being 1 mile from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. NO WAY is it one mile. More like 2 miles. You have to walk past the Best Western All Suites Inn and that one is at least one mile from the beach.
This hotel is called the Best Western Inn on Plymouth...and it was a VERY LONG WALK to the beach. There is very limited parking down at the beach so it was important to me that we book a hotel within a mile. If you do stay here...check a map and walk through the cute downtown shopping area..much safer neighborhood.

I don't think this hotel is as bad as some of the reviews have said. I would actually stay here again, just knowing that it's 2 miles to the beach.

Our room was clean, bed was comfortable. The "Suite" is ONE large room. We thought our son would have his "own area" but he had a little fold out couch right in our room. The jetted tub in our room was so incredibly loud that I had to use it without the jets. It seemed like they could probably hear it in the other rooms.

The outdoor jacuzzi was padlocked without any explanation.

Santa Cruz hotels are expensive!! I would love to find one that is affordable and walking distance. There are some "no brand" hotels right near the beach. I think I'll check those out next time.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The location was too far from the beach
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Dot Zall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Merced, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

Decided to stay here even tho many other reviews had warned that management was not eager to please, mainly because the price was reasonable for this time of year ($129). Apparently, many young men and women (this is a college town after all) also like this place for the price. Heavy duty drinking began in about 4 rooms (doors open) in the afternoon, but the real problem was their return from the bars at 2:00 am, yelling, cussing, laughing, slamming doors, and in general waking the whole hotel. This continued to 4:00 am, despite calls to the front desk. Cops finally had to be called. Complaining the next morning did nothing: manager was not working and couldn't be disturbed. Tried to move to different side or new hotel, but front desk again would not help.

Incredibly , this was repeated the next night.

Room had smoke smell despite being supposedly smoke free, but front office would not let us move.

Hot tub small and was commandeered by the party goers all weekend.

Continental breakfast was fine. But otherwise this was the worst hotel stay we've ever had. Management never appeared all weekend. Front desk clerk was like talking to a robot: no concessions whatsoever (perhaps this is common here).

There are lots of hotels in Santa Cruz. For families or business, suggest not staying here.

• Liked — breakfast fare
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank soilsguy2004
126bw, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Thank you for your review.

SInce your posting on trip advisor our establishment has changed our policy and has taken zero tolerance to party goers that disturb our guests.

We appreciate your feed back and we continue to try to make improvements. I hope that you will give us another chance.

Management

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

half moon bay
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2007

Horrible management. While the hired staff is friendly, the management is rude and unmoving. This hotel is a host hotel for a local baseball tournament organization, yet they are completely NOT kid friendly.

My keys were lost, so AAA came to open my vehicle. As the team manager, we needed to get the equipment out of the car for our games. The alarm sounded but then stopped after a couple of minutes. After it stopped, management hired a tow truck to take my car away because of the disruption, even though they knew my dilemma and were told that the alarm would not be sounding again. $370 later, and I am fuming! They said they were towing my car to pay back for the complaints by other guests about the alarm and about the boys. Mind you, the boys made minimal noise and were all in bed by 9:45 pm. Seems like displaced retribution, if you ask me.

Also, we rented several rooms, yet we were all given different prices and availability for our rooms. Something's up with that.

I would NEVER frequent this hotel again! They give a bad name to the Best Western corporation. Too bad for BW. In the past I have always stayed at BW based on reputation. From now on I will definitely think twice.

• Liked — the desk help
  • Disliked — the management and their shifty ways
  • Stayed October 2007
1 Thank hmbjennifer
Fresno
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2007

I booked a room with 2 double beds directly with the hotel and was quoted a specific price. Upon arrival, the manager gave us the receipt to sign with a price $60 higher than the original quotation and refused to honor the price we were originally quoted. She was rude and insulting, and although she said she would not charge our credit card as we were not staying, she refused to give us a signed statement to that effect. I would recommend avoidance of this hotel at all costs.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank LilyStar
Cumberland, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2007

After seeing how much a dump the Brookdale Lodge was up the road in Brookdale, this place was a site for sore eyes. Our room did not have the jacuzzi tub, but that did not matter. However, it did have two comfortable queen beds, an armoire, a small fridge, microwave, desk and chair. The room was clean and somewhat cozy. It was a bit noisy with people pulling into the parking lot and entering their rooms but this died down right at 11:00, which is acceptable for us.

The young lady at the checkin was pleasant. I thought the price was a bit high for this motel: ~$100.00 after the AAA discount, but we were in dire need of a place to stay.

We did not partake in the free breakfast; we went to Denny's across the street instead. Breakfast was crowded at the motel so it may have been good.

I felt this place was good for a one night stay, but I wouldn't make a weekend out of it.

• Liked — Surprisingly above average for this type of motel
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank DKCJ
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2007

Did a 2 nights stay here in late Dec 2006, for a room with one queen size bed. I found the property and room very clean, with all furnishings appeared brand new and in good condition. The free Internet was fast and easy to connect. The room isn't big but still feel quite spacious, thanked to the efficiency and clever arrangements of items. My room was on the back side (versus the parking lot side) so it was surprisingly quiet, especially for this type of open corridor motel. The free breakfast was sufficient and acceptable, although nothing spectacular. Overall I think it is good value, as I enjoyed my stay here would not hesitate to go back again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Price
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for room in the back side rather than the parking lot side
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Kenson60
san jose
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2007

After seeing a show in santa cruz on new years, getting a cab home was near impossible. We finally ended up here for a few hours until we could get a cab rather than stand outside. The room was $100, I got the ole 'last room available' routine at the desk. Everything seemed fine when we left.

2 days later I notice my credit card balance is a few hundred dollars off. I bring up my transactions and I see charges from Best Western of $210, $100, $110, a credit of $210, and another charge of $111.

I call them to find out what is going on and why I paid $300 for a $100 room. I figure they just got their billing wrong. Instead I am told I am being charged an extra $100 for smoking in the room, I don't even smoke. And I'm told the other $100 charge doesn't exist, my CC statement and balance is wrong.

So I'm not in the process of getting it straightend out with my CC company. I'm sure they will get it straight, and hopefully I'll get all my money back. But $300 for a 3 hour stay in a 1 bedroom room with a bathroom so small you almost have to stand in the tub to close the door is not anything I'd recommend.

• Disliked — overcharge, and the most uncomfortable chair I've ever sat in, like a concrete block.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank itzclay