“WORST STAY DO NOT RECOMMEND”
Review of Best Western Inn

Best Western Inn
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place was terrible.I checked into the Best Western in Santa Cruz on July 4,2012. I checked into rooms 126 and room 149. Upon entering the rooms the floors were so wet I could not even take off my shoes. The next morning July 5,2012 I left both rooms with the sign saying “Please clean my room” on the door. Upon coming back on the night of July 5,2012 at 11:30 p.m room 126 had been cleaned however the maid had left dirty tissues everywhere. They appeared to be snot tissues. She also had thrown away a whole box of pizza. Upon entering room 149 it had not been cleaned at all. When I called down to the front desk a young lady named Rosia answered and asked if I would like to clean my room if she brought me up fresh linens. I replied no but fresh linens would be nice so she brought me up fresh linens. We exchanged my old linens which consisted of all my dirty towels as well as the dirty cloth that was at the end of my bed. Upon checking the linens that she had brought me two were dirty. One looked as though it had make up on it and the other looked as though it had baby diarrhea on it. On the morning of July 6,2012 room 149 was filthy because it had not been cleaned in two days nor had the maids taken the trash out. Also on the morning of July 6,2012 I brought the dirty linen down to the manager at the front desk to show her and to tell her how our room was not cleaned. The manager was very rude but called her maid to the front desk. When the maid came to the front desk she did not speak English what so ever so the manager talked to her in Spanish the entire time. The maid had told her that we asked her not to clean our room which is a blatant lie. However the manager still agreed to discount our stay $80 for the maid not cleaning our room. They also put the bill in the name of Micheal Simpson, my name is Mitch Simpson. On July 9,2012 I was checking my bank account and found two charges one for $30 and one for $40. They did not notify me what so ever of these charges to my bank account. They accused me of stealing a bed spread and told me they were charging me for getting blood on a towel. I in fact did not steal anything from this motel and have never heard of a motel charging for dirtying a towel.

Room Tip: DO NOT choose this hotel!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tiffany S
Teddy S, General Manager at Best Western Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Mr. Simpson

Thank you for taking time to review us on the Trip. As the new General Manager, I would like to apologize for the problems you had with your stay. I can assure you that we are dedicated to changing your opinion about our hotel. I hope, eventhough you had a bad experience with us, you will be willing to at least give us one more chance. We promise to make your next stay awesome! Sorry again, hope to see you soon.

Teddy Starr
Best Western Inn
Santa Cruz, California

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Cheaper then most other chain hotels in the area for a reason. Not a great location because of the surrounding neighborhood. Poor service. Ran out of toilet paper believe it or not. No one at the front desk for long periods of time. Breakfest garbage can overflowing. Staff walked right past it anf did not touch it.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank fendstrat
Reviewed June 25, 2012

we'd never been to santa cruz before, heard about the great beach life and so got on hotwire and booked this hotel. Staff was nice, and we got our room instantly.. Must complain about our room placement though, as it went through two doors by use of the key.. it was very strange. While other doors opened to the outside, we had to share this little area with someone on the other side and was hard to take our luggage in. The people in the joining side, were loud, but i don't think they meant to be. The first door does not open properly, and so they struggled, as did we, when we tried to go in. Could also hear them in their room directly beside ours.

The room was basic and clean. No real complaints on the room. Just your basic non exciting room. Did the job it needed to do for the night. don't expect high class.

Breakfast was nice, waffles and coffee, yogurt... clean

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2012

After a pleasant experience at a Great Western in San Luis Obispo the night before, we were had expectations of a similar experience in Santa Cruz. We left it till the last minute on the road to find somewhere to stay and then had difficulty because it was Mothers' Day long weekend. We were checked in by a friendly young woman who gave us some suggestions for dinner so we headed off for an early meal so we could get a good night's sleep before hitting the road again the next day.
Unfortunately, that was not to be. We had a ground floor room with a locked door to an adjoining room. It soon became apparent that our neighbours planned to party and there was much shouting, swearing and noise of comings and goings as they moved between rooms. We heard a couple of other guests complain but things would quieten for a while and then resume -- it must be have been about 3am before they settled down. I thought it was ironic that they had the DO NOT DISTURB signs on their doors
While our room was reasonably clean it was very dark and had a very strong damp musty smell.
When we checked out we mentioned the noise to the receptionist (a different person from check-in) and she just shrugged and didn't seem to take it seriously. After this experience we crossed Best Western off our list for future stays.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusievdH
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I had purchased a night at this hotel on hotwire.com. The hotel was for a night for my daughter, who is 19. Hotwire's policy is 18 and older. My daughter tried to check in at this hotel, and management treated her horribly! She had her hotwire reservation, that stated 18 years and older, and it was already pre-paid. The hotel would not let her check in, stating that she had to be 21. They were rude and refused to deal with her. I even talked to management, offering that they put a large hold on my credit card (for incidentals) and they still refused! My daughter was left without a room, and no place to stay. Best Western should not partner with Hotwire if they cannot honor the reservations, or adhere to hotwire's policies. Management at this hotel should have helped my daughter, possibly helping her find another hotel. This hotel should remove them self from the partnership they have with hotwire, since they cannot honor the reservations. We are disappointed by what this hotel did to our daughter, and unfortunately it gives us a bad impression of the Best Western chain.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pirokp
Reviewed April 28, 2012

When I stayed at this 'hotel' I was lied to on numerous occasions, and in numerous ways. This franchise has completely ruined my impression of Best Western and I would warn anyone thinking of staying here that they could not make a worse choice.

When I checked in I was given my key card by a slightly under-trained staff member. She was very nice but clearly not entirely sure how the key card machine worked as the women in front of my was having her re-do hers, as it didn't work. I got to my room and found mine did not work either and had to have it re-magnetized.

When I got into my room, it smelled very heavily of smoke and cleaning supplies. That the person before me had clearly smoked isn't really the hotel's fault, but the smell made me slightly ill. But, it only being a one night stay, I informed the hotel front desk (so they wouldn't think I had smoked) and left it at that.

The next morning was when it got bad. I woke up to get my complimentary hot breakfast. It was a choice of cold cereals and rather pathetic looking, unattended waffle machine. This is roughly what was described on the website, but was still pretty sad looking none the less. Don't believe any reviews on here that talk of a proper breakfast being available.

More importantly, I had a business meeting all morning and into the afternoon, to which I could not take my bag. I had stayed at the hotel under the written expectation of being able, upon checking out, to leave my bags in a secure location, as advertised on their website. When ready to check out, I was informed that no such accommodation would be provided under any circumstance. I called Best Western Corporate and was told I had to come to my own arrangements with the on site management; they could, and would, do nothing.

I then asked if I could pay a fee for late check-out, as I intended to leave at approximately 2pm that afternoon, a mere 3 hours late. I was again told this was not possible, as the cleaners would have left for the day and the room left unusable until the following night. I was given no option, considering my schedule, but to book the room for another night, despite my multiple pleas for some leeway.

When I left the hotel I found another guest desperate to obtain a room. I told the woman on the desk that I would be checking out now and if the cleaners could be recalled, the guest could have my room. She then immediately checked me out, called the cleaners (who were still on site) to prepare the room for the next guest. I was later told (when I complained via email) that this women was NOT given my room, as I had paid for the whole night, but considering the numerous other lies I had been told, I do not believe this.

As I was clearly misled on numerous occasions, I faxed the management a letter of complaint (they have no listed email) upon my return from my trip. I was told that I *had* been given a reduced rate (unlikely, as the second night rate was $10 more than my original night's rate) and that was all they could do for me. When I complained again, I was offered Gold Crown Club points, as if I would EVER stay with Best Western again. Ever.

This motel is not even worth the $89 I was originally quoted, let along the $170 I ended up paying. It is far from everything in Santa Cruz and their staff is either wholly incompetent or wilfully obstructive. The other hotels on the street looked so nice in comparison, I spent my whole trip bemoaning my poor choice.

Learn from me and stay elsewhere. If its another Best Western, don't expect corporate to be of any help should you find yourself in trouble.

Room Tip: At another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Callida
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was so dissappointed with the outside of Hotel that I wanted a refund and go somewhere else...Componded that when I got there early, my room was not ready (we got there at 11am). After leaving and looking around town, going to Visitors Bureau, and basically wasting time while room was getting ready I finally agreed to stay. Boy did I make a good decision! It was very nice, quiet and clean. We did not have a full complement of towels on first day but cleaning staff was eager to help and gave us what we needed!

The bed was soft (better than ours at home) and we have very nice sleep! Even my wife slept and she sometimes gets insomnia at times...

The only suggestion I would say is bring own pillows for comfort...for me the pillows are soo small. I would also bring blanket because I like heavy blankets when I sleep...Theirs are light...but the room has refrig, microwave, coffemaker and cooling/heater...I will come back!

Room Tip: Ask for far side room...preferably top level.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple