After growing up in the Bay Area, attending UCSC and living in Santa Cruz for 5 years, I had never actually stayed in a hotel/motel/inn in Santa Cruz. Looking for a quick weekend getaway, we drove up on a Saturday night after choosing this place based on the thumbnail pic in their profile (the majestic Spanish-style architecture). While a lovely hotel in its own right, the location does leave something to be desired. The service and pleasantries (or lack thereof) leaves quite a bit to be desired. This will be our main reason for looking elsewhere on our next trip - drop the attitude; you work at a beach-side hotel, not a graveyard shift at a 7-11. Those of us vacationing aren't anticipating a [--] at the counter.
Highlights included the pool/spa (though someone did walk up to the window and stare in at us...kinda weird), and the deluxe room with the whirlpool tub. Cleanliness was a 3 out of 5, though the things that counted (sheets, bed, toilet, sink) were clean. The walls/ windows, eh. Breakfast included cereal, packaged danishes/ bagels, and coffee. I found a pack of oatmeal and sort of felt like I hit the lottery. :-)
I liked the overall vibe of the place, and met some pretty nice folks down at the pool. Hostel-type travelers, and it did feel a bit like staying at a swanky hostel (rather than a slightly down-trodden hotel). Knowing what I already knew about SC, you're not going to get killed in the area, but we did have some guests commenting to us about the frequency of sirens. I recommend the Howard Johnson or Dream Inn if you're looking for the quaint SC experience. There are also some nice B&B's on West Cliff.
Does the trick for area locals; if you're making the trip from afar, however, you might want to price up a bit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Mediterranean-style hotel in Santa Cruz Pacific Inn is just blocks from the boardwalk and Santa Cruz Beaches. Choose from several accommodation options with high-speed wireless Internet access, microwaves, refrigerators and premium cable TV. For added luxury, we also have an enclosed heated swimming pool, Jacuzzi and Sauna. Enjoy the extended complimentary continental breakfast to start the day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Pacific Inn Santa Cruz reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pacific Inn Santa Cruz Hotel Santa Cruz
- Hotel International Pacific