“Great location; mediocre motel”

Howard Johnson Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Richmond
“Great location; mediocre motel”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here because of location and figuring if it was HoJo, it wouldn't be as bad as some Santa Cruz motels. It was perfectly fine for what I needed, which was a place to stash my stuff and to get one night's sleep. If I were spending any more time there, I don't think I would have been very impressed. But the are very few places to stay in Santa Cruz, so I guess this is one of the acceptable ones.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Minden, Nevada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wanted to get away for Labor Day. Howard Johnson in Santa Cruz is in a great location. We like to park the car and walk. This place is in walking distance to the wharf and boardwalk. Also a nice stroll down to the light house. The room was clean and had a refrigerator and microwave. It also offered a decent continental breakfast. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lodi
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had a nice time at this property. The front desk people were very helpful and courteous! They also allowed us to get intonourvroom a bit early because it was ready, so that was very nice! The spa is very large, the room was clean, and we had a great time being so close to the beach!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Washougal, Washington
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights and I would stay here again. The location is great,within walking distance to the wharf and boardwalk, we had a nice view of the wharf area with a little deck & chairs for relaxing but it also faced the street. Small fridge and microwave, outdated looking comforter but clean, very clean bathroom, free parking. I had great customer service as they let me park there upon my arrival at 9:00 in the morning, way too early for check in. I went in to ask and when she checked that I was indeed staying there for 2 nights, she said I could park there then check in later. It was great, we enjoyed the wharf and boardwalk all afternoon while we had free parking at the hotel so I do thank them very much for that.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cary, Nc
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Loved the front porch with chairs to relax in and a great view of the ocean and the wharf. Although my room was small, it was just me so it was fine. As a woman traveling alone, even though it was first floor I felt very safe (with no rooms above, so no one walking on your head!). Bathroom was clean and new-ish with great water pressure. Would def stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo